Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/12/2018 1:07:15 PM EDT
Hello I am active duty and just found out that I might be getting assigned to Rock Is Arsenal and was trying to find out information on the area such as locations to live, crime areas, best schools, etc... I have never been part of the country. Moving and trying to find a place is always. Pain so any information is helpful. Thank you
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
RIA is on an island in the Mississippi, between Illinois and Iowa.  Three bridges on and off, but only one crosses the main channel to Iowa, and it's a swing span that opens and closes for abrges to lock through, and has railroad tracks over the top of the roadway (upper deck).
Lots of decent places to live in the quad Cities (Moline and Rock Island in Illinois, Bettendorf and Davenport in Iowa) area, but avoid significant areas of Davenport and Rock Island...your only major crime areas.
Arguably best schools in Bettendorf, with both the Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley School districts both earning high marks statewide and nationally.
Don't know where you're coming from, but the cost of living is one of the best in the country.
Rock River Arms, Lewis Machine, Springfield Armory, and Les Baer Custom are all local as well.
Steve/RRA
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello I am active duty and just found out that I might be getting assigned to Rock Is Arsenal and was trying to find out information on the area such as locations to live, crime areas, best schools, etc... I have never been part of the country. Moving and trying to find a place is always. Pain so any information is helpful. Thank you
View Quote
Find a place to live on the Iowa side.  Lower taxes, less crime.  IA is gun friendly, IL is not.   IA has stand your ground, suppressors, SBR, and SBS.

You can get a permit to carry in Iowa by just taking your DD-214 or certificate of completion of military basic training documentation to the local sheriff.  costs around $50.
IL permit is limited, expensive, hours of "training", and a pain in the ass to get.  That's if IL deems you fit to have one.  
IL does not honor the IA permit, but IA honors the IL permit.  go figure.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
North Davenport, Eldridge, Bettendorf, and LeClaire are the areas I'd look at. The area along the I-74 corridor/53rd Street in Davenport (extending into Bettendorf) is constantly expanding with new restaurants and shops. The schools as mentioned are the best in the metro. The only real downside is your commute from these areas onto the Arsenal has the potential to suck with the construction of the new I-74 bridge over the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find a place to live on the Iowa side.  Lower taxes, less crime.  IA is gun friendly, IL is not.   IA has stand your ground, suppressors, SBR, and SBS.
View Quote
The Iowa side isn't doing you any favors in the taxes and crime department, especially when you consider generally higher housing prices.  Iowa is in infinitely better financial shape than Illinois, much friendlier about gun laws and generally moving in the right political direction.  Illinois has short barrels and "stand your ground" is, essentially, law in Illinois, though not under that name.  

Be careful, the area will grow on you.  Lots of people have come to the arsenal as part of a deployment and decided to put down roots.  The outlying areas are probably the best places to look for housing in either state.  I would strongly urge you to try to get a place on the Iowa side, outside of Scott county if possible.

We have several unique things here.  For food you have to try QC pizza, Frank's is the original but Harris, Stashu's, Fields, and a few others make similar pizza.  Happy Joes invented taco pizza (no really, it was invented here and they still make the best, you haven't had taco pizza unless it came from Happy Joes.)  For sandwiches we have Hungry Hobo.  And Whitey's Ice cream is pretty damned great.  Plenty of brewery's and bars, Front Street, Blue Cat, Bent river.  Museums, Theaters, Stadiums, Parks, the area has it all, unless you are a hunter, the midwest just doesn't have the hunting that you will find in Idaho.

The people here are generally friendly, down to earth, hard working, and don't tolerate bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the replies and information. I am from Idaho but I am currently living in Washington state due to the military.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What part of Idaho are you from?  I just returned from the Preston area in SE Idaho where I bought land back in December of 1992 (overlooking the Oneida Narrows section of the Bear River and Oneida Reservoir) when I was stationed at Hill AFB, UT as an E-3.  I had a great time seeing friends in UT and ID as well as eating at some of my old "go-to" places.  Preston was where they filmed Napoleon Dynamite and while I was there the weather was perfect.
View Quote
I am from Nampa but my wife is from Dayton next to Preston her parents still live there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What part of Idaho are you from?  I just returned from the Preston area in SE Idaho where I bought land back in December of 1992 (overlooking the Oneida Narrows section of the Bear River and Oneida Reservoir) when I was stationed at Hill AFB, UT as an E-3.  I had a great time seeing friends in UT and ID as well as eating at some of my old "go-to" places.  Preston was where they filmed Napoleon Dynamite and while I was there the weather was perfect.
View Quote
How's it going there Uncle Rico?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
made me lol
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top