Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2021 1:38:54 PM EDT
Gentlemen and ladies,

After a near-decade hiatus, I've started climbing and bouldering again. Due to weather (and, lets face it, need to knock the rust off) I've been exclusively in gyms, Triangle Rock Club in Fayetteville and Morrisville.

My roommate also climbs, and I have a decent group of others from work who climb with me, but I figured I'd throw a feeler out to see who's around. As the weather turns, I'm very interested in taking trips to Pilot and to the western part of the state.

As an aside, I can't seem to find any discussion on climbing/equipment on the site, so I may start a thread in General Outdoors as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to crap on this place (or the members) but this is a gun forum and quite literally full of obese cheetos dusted basement dwellers.  Witness any thread having to do with travel or anything remotely adventurous.  

There’s a few climbers on board.  Most of them I’ve found on the random GD Alex Honnold is nuts type of thread.  There are couple in the SE as well.  We’ve been out west now for a while but make it back to NC to visit family.  Good on you for getting back into it.  The life of the souther climber can be a lonely one

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Done Pilot several times and Stone Mountain near Elkin a couple of times. The state runs the high angle rescue program at each depending on schedule. After finishing that series of classes years ago (late 90s maybe) several of us in the FD got into climbing for a while.

If you want a place to practice Pilot may be better depending on your experience level. Several spots you can set up an anchor on top and rappel down to practice your climbing skills with a known good anchor for safety. Im sure if inclined you could hike around and free climb it too depending on your experience.

IIRC Stone Mountain has some routes with established anchors cant remember if they last the entire climb or not. I think we used some wedges for anchors as well.

Just use common sence and climbing skills on basic routes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m not a rock climber, but This place is not far from my house. I’d come drink beer and watch
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a rock climber, but This place is not far from my house. I'd come drink beer and watch
View Quote
That's were we rappelled in high school

Here is a double exposed pic of my buddy and I on a full slack Aussie leap.

I was 16

On 20 March I am doing a Rappelling class at Rocky face for the APC guys.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was 16

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/13EB9AEA-B4BC-4CA2-B327-8CAB2BD49F09-1844643.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a rock climber, but This place is not far from my house. I'd come drink beer and watch

I was 16

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/13EB9AEA-B4BC-4CA2-B327-8CAB2BD49F09-1844643.jpg

That’s awesome! Hope everything is good up your way Free, it’s been a while.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not to crap on this place (or the members) but this is a gun forum and quite literally full of obese cheetos dusted basement dwellers.  Witness any thread having to do with travel or anything remotely adventurous.  

There’s a few climbers on board.  Most of them I’ve found on the random GD Alex Honnold is nuts type of thread.  There are couple in the SE as well.  We’ve been out west now for a while but make it back to NC to visit family.  Good on you for getting back into it.  The life of the souther climber can be a lonely one

View Quote
I mean, say what you want about the nutritional merits of Cheetos, dude, at least it's an FDA approved snack food.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gentlemen and ladies,

After a near-decade hiatus, I've started climbing and bouldering again. Due to weather (and, lets face it, need to knock the rust off) I've been exclusively in gyms, Triangle Rock Club in Fayetteville and Morrisville.

My roommate also climbs, and I have a decent group of others from work who climb with me, but I figured I'd throw a feeler out to see who's around. As the weather turns, I'm very interested in taking trips to Pilot and to the western part of the state.

As an aside, I can't seem to find any discussion on climbing/equipment on the site, so I may start a thread in General Outdoors as well.
View Quote

Hey dude, welcome back! If you're planning to head to Pilot, look up my good pal Bryce Mahoney. You can't miss him. Former 3/75 and 51st LRS, and is now on an absolute tear to own the crag. We were partners for a very brief time but our climbing goals have since deviated, but he's a helluva guy and is absolutely consumed with climbing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top