Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2021 3:25:05 PM EDT
I used to do rock climbing in Boulder County, CO many years ago. I still have my climbing gear. I recently wore my high-top Scarpa shoes to the climbing wall at JMU and two of the sweet young ladies working on belays were totally impressed with the old guy's shoes from yesteryear.

Anyway, my daughter wants to do some rock climbing and I would rather go outdoors and not in a gym. So, where are the good routes in Virginia? I could probably do a 5.7 - 5.8, but even lesser for my daughter, age 20. So tell me where all of the good 5.5 - 5.6 routes are for a Saturday climb.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I don't know places in Virginia.
I've only been to Seneca Rocks in West Virginia.

Good luck finding a good spot, though.

ETA - There's gotta be some knowledgeable members
          in here that can help you out.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
An online route guide points to Great Falls a lot. I’d rather go to the Shenandoah area if that’s the choice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106152557/buzzard-rocks

Probably a good place for doing another APC mountaineering course.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Good link. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
@L_JE  This man is pretty knowledgeable about climbing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Lexington, and the closest climbing was over in Goshen Pass.  The Chambers Ridge bluff has a decent route and a couple somewhat decent routes.  Easy enough access.

Old Rag Mtn is probably the best climbing in Virginia, but starting from Lexington, I could be on route on something over in the New River Gorge of WV before I could get to the base of the climbs on Old Rag.

If you are in the JMU area, look, consider Seneca Rocks, over in WV.  The only downside to Seneca is that it's multipitch and you'd need a traditional rack of rock protection. Ecstasy Crack, 2 or 3 pitches, is one of the finest routes around of its grade.  Anywhere.  It's 5.7+ and the initial moves out from the belay atop the first pitch stand out in my mind more than two decades later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top