Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2022 6:50:21 PM EDT
Thanks Dan and ned and probably rell and the other idiot

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
At first I thought that was a bridge, but it's just a peasants vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Time to replace that climate changing, fossil fueled vehicle and get with the program. Get yourself one of those perfectly clean Battery electric vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time to replace that climate changing, fossil fueled vehicle and get with the program. Get yourself one of those perfectly clean Battery electric vehicles.
View Quote

You realize they use child slaves in the dilithium mines on Remus right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks Dan and ned and probably rell and the other idiot....
View Quote

After losing my last car to this salt bullshit I have found the solution for me.  I don't drive in snow or if there is salt (dry or wet) on the roads.  Being retired has some advantages.  Fuck Connecticut.

I miss driving in snow.  I used to race cars in snow.  (Rally racing)
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Look into applying fluid film underneath your vehicle:

Fluid Film WILL Save Your Toyota Tacoma

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hFL3pah_g

View Quote

I do this to my work trucks every year works well
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At first I thought that was a bridge, but it's just a peasants vehicle.

https://c.tenor.com/j5YcO9slE7YAAAAC/leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here.gif
View Quote

Check out the rt 8 Shelton derby bridge
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Check out the rt 8 Shelton derby bridge
View Quote

They finally started putting new asphalt there at night. Looks like it's almost done.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They finally started putting new asphalt there at night. Looks like it's almost done.
View Quote

The steal structure at the bottom was rotted the last time I looked at it
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The steal structure at the bottom was rotted the last time I looked at it
View Quote

As long as they paint over the rot with tar who's gonna know?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

For most vehicles I agree, but it melts the black coating off of the frames under GM trucks and SUV's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For most vehicles I agree, but it melts the black coating off of the frames under GM trucks and SUV's.
View Quote

I was not aware of this. Good to know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I had New Hampshire Oil Undercoat put on my 2019 Silverado. Just have to be careful not to hit the frame with a pressure washer.

Northeast Rustproofing  
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a two part approach for my trailer and vehicle.

For the frame that has no crusty rust, I spray it with Undercoat In A Can. It's basically a black colored soft cosmoline and it is visible that it is there and working.

Then multiple applications of fluid film sprayed with the long 360 nozzles in every body cavity and orfice as possible and inside the frame rails.

I actually bought a barrel heater to liquefy the FF to do this.

It's been proven that PB Blasters rust prevention coating is better, but it is only available in aerosol cans for now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Reminder. Winter is pretty much here. Fluid Film or Surface Sheild  your vehicles, or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

You have been warned.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#16]
like group 8- I just dont drive in the snow
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#17]
My rust prevention strategy is:

Park truck in Garage
Attach Battery trickle charger
Fly to Florida home
Return when weather is warm i.e., no snow or ice

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Another option that seems to be working well for me is to use hot water(hot water plumbed to an outdoor spigot) and hose off the underside anytime it’s wet out during winter driving.

I don’t do it every time, and my personal vehicle is not a daily driver, but it seems to have helped quite a bit in mitigating any rust underneath.

Also helps that its a wrangler, so I can easily see underneath and get to everything with the hose.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I was driving behind one of the new Ford trucks yesterday, must have been a year or two old. I could see the bottom rear section already coated with corrosion
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have a pressure washer or the like there may be under car sprayer attachments for it. Some have DIY'd their own under car sprayers.

From a few years ago, on an 05 car that had rust in one spot thanks to road salt. The spot rusted real fast. Bunch of bondo, wire mesh, and paint and so far it's been holding for five years or so.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Can't be having them people driving on snow mate. Those beautiful environmental Nazis must see blacktop at all times during snow events. You know for the environment lol, but but but don't even think of building a home within 50 miles of protected wetlands. Thankfully the salt dissolves and doesn't run off the roads into the wetlands.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can't be having them people driving on snow mate. Those beautiful environmental Nazis must see blacktop at all times during snow events. You know for the environment lol, but but but don't even think of building a home within 50 miles of protected wetlands. Thankfully the salt dissolves and doesn't run off the roads into the wetlands.
View Quote

Yes Washing all that into the drains and ground sounds turrable. I saw one guy advertising environmentally save salt
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
That's definitely a help, but with a box frame, and all the exposed body cavities, you are still leaving bare metal open to water and salt mix. It's the spots you don't reach that need protection the most.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I bet the salt contributes to my increased brake job frequency…
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It certainly does on my car. Every time I've done the brakes (I think three times now) everything is a mess of rust. Even replaced the rotors at one point that were a rusted mess. Have to use a pursuader every single time to break things apart to get them off. Using anti size grease on wheel hubs, rims, etc. sometimes doesn't work to keep it from the part getting rusted on. Fun times.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I just noticed this - one of my pads is seized to the clips that sit in the caliper bracket, so I've got one pad that wore down to nothing and one pad that's got tons of meat left, and it's not the pins - those are fine.  Bleh.

Have to pull it all apart and replace and use extra grease I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top