Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2020 12:01:16 PM EDT
Long story short I'll be heading up I-15 to SLC on the 23rd and back on the 28th. I'll have to do it in my car because my Tacoma is in Louisiana. Do they generally keep I-15 clear of ice? Are there any sections south of SLC They require chains on?

Long version I have been on an extended business trip in CA. Instead of going home for Christmas I'm going to visit my daughter who can't head home for the school break due to work. I have my Q-50 with me which is less than ideal for winter driving (rear wheel drive with high performance AS radials - Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS - apparently very poor ice and snow performance).  

Any help appreciated
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If it’s not actively snowing you’ll probably be fine. If it is, yes, they plow, but things can get dicey. Get chains.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as it’s not an active storm you should be fine..

Only thing that would concern me are your tires..even more so than being RWD.

I had an all wheel drive performance car that had summer performance tires like yours.  I hit a storm with it one time and I could not believe how bad it was even with AWD.  And I’m a very experienced snow driver.  

It’s those tires that could give you grief, not so much the RWD.  

Just gonna be a roll of the dice sounds like.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
To add there are a handful of higher elevation spots between st George and SLC that can get pretty bad during a storm.  They get them cleared fast but if it’s snowing they get covered in snow pretty quick.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
UDOT has traffic cameras you can look at to see exactly what the roads look like where you're planning on driving. I've found it generally useful when making longer trips this time of year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, ordered some chains and will keep an eye on the cameras.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you, ordered some chains and will keep an eye on the cameras.
View Quote

I think thats a solid plan as lomg as you have good tires
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah. The tires aren't so good. I'm just going to fly. Hopefully the car is still at LAX when I get back

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top