Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 4:59:51 PM EDT
Guys,

We're leaving Tuesday and headed your way. I'm shooting a match, we're going to see some sights and generally spend some time in your wonderful State. Are there any Covid related issues we need to know about? Masks to go to the bathroom by yourself or is it over for the mask requirements? Fuel issues? Flooding or ant other maladies I need to know about. We'll be near Hershey for several days and elsewhere. Doing some day trips to other areas as well. TIA!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm originally from Western PA, and I'll be pissed if my fellow
Pennsylvanians don't respond to your post.  I know people
from my real home state are awesome, and I expect better
treatment for brothers and sisters from other states.

ETA:  I recommend a stop in Pittsburgh.  Visit the Duquesne incline.

Go through the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel

Lake Erie, Pymatuning Spillway, Gettysburg, Falling Waters, Johnstown Flood Museum.  All good!

Have a safe trip up from Texas!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on where you are going to the match also depends on what sight to see... For example... traveling across the middle of the state to the northern expanse? stop at one of the state parks... Worlds end is absolutely magnificent.... Going across the middle of the state only... PSU and visit the Rathscellar (sp) bar... going to the Poconos... visit Jim Thorpe the town and while corny and touristy, is still a hell of a town with lots to see!!!  Let us know your routing and can help a bit better!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi.  I'm somewhat new to PA, but

no fuel issues

you're supposed to wear a mask in public

no floods, earthquakes, torrential rain, uncontrolled fires, giant ants, etc -- at present

WATCH OUT FOR POLICE AROUND HERSHEY.  ACTUALLY stay close to the speed limit.  If you find yourself heading south out of Hershey, slightly downhill on a blind curve and find yourself thinking 'hey, there might be an officer hiding there' - there was for me.

I really can't advise on day trips, but I am going to take the advice others are giving.

Happy trails and safe travels.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely check out Gettysburg. Newfangled Brew works in Harrisburg is owned by an ARF.commer. Hershey Chocolate World can burn some time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on where you are going to the match also depends on what sight to see... For example... traveling across the middle of the state to the northern expanse? stop at one of the state parks... Worlds end is absolutely magnificent.... Going across the middle of the state only... PSU and visit the Rathscellar (sp) bar... going to the Poconos... visit Jim Thorpe the town and while corny and touristy, is still a hell of a town with lots to see!!!  Let us know your routing and can help a bit better!!
View Quote

I haven’t been in the Rathskeller for a very long time.  But it was the best dumpy (mostly) student bar in town.
Things change I’m sure, so maybe its not like it was 30 years ago..
But if not there -  if OP is bringing a family, go to the Berkey Creamery on campus.   Some of the best ice cream you can buy.  Plus they sell other things the schools ag department students produce.

Go see the horseshoe curve nearby in Altoona.

Sounds like the trip will be soon, so maybe hit trout opening day.  Can be a madhouse on some streams, which I avoid.  But that area and around PSU has some excellent limestone trout streams and small rivers.

In Pittsburgh I recommend the John Heinz history museum in the strip district.  Get an original location primantis sandwich nearby there too.

And if he’s heading out to Pittsburgh, keep going west, well get onto I 70 and head out to Dayton OH and see the USAF museum.  Especially if he’s never been.  Plan for an entire day there.  It’s about a five hour drive from Pittsburgh
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Masks are required by most businesses and stores. In my experience nobody actually enforces the requirements. Museums and places like that might.

Prepay and pump your own gas everywhere.

We are short on natural disasters so far this year.

Indian Echo Caverns is close to Hershey. Pretty awesome thing to see.

If you want to go farther away you can check out Penns Cave and Wildlife Park in Centre Hall.

Of course I will always recommend spending at least a day in Gettysburg. See the museum and the diorama. You can go to Gettysburger for lunch and Blue & Gray for dinner. Go to Devils Den and climb around.

If you want to go east to Philly, the Mutter Medical Museum is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys my wife has done the routing. I'm just the driver. We're starting with the match in Kennerdell and then doing Falling Waters, Gettysburg, Hershey, some water falls and other spots. Not sure of the order. I'll ask.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Girlfriend lives south of Gettysburgh. I spend a fair amount of time there. Most places are open, but, some of the restuarants have limited menues amd seating.

The Battlefield is wide open for business (Touriests) until supposedly 7pm at night, but, I noticed all the gates open for people to drive through the areas (different battlefields). Lots of people were walking and biking too.

I ate at The Dobbins House (1700's Tavern) Monday, Food was great, but, it is pricey. I did not sit in the bar, so I cannot speak about that part. I had reservations in the dining room.

Appalachian Brew Company in town has great brew and food !  

Mason Dixon Distillery & Restaurant has great food and they have some great booze too.

Troegs Brewery in Hershey is pretty darn cool too and they also have great food.

Most places require masks. Lots of people in stores and other venues without masks. You'll have to make a judgement call on what is happening at your particular place when doing things.

Watch your speed in those areas, but, as of now, only police in PA that can use Radar are the State Police, and that is only from a static position.

I do not have a lot of experience with gun shops in those areas, there are a few but, nothing that really stands out for me. And, a lot of gunshops are closed on Monday here.

Others will have to chime in on Gun related stuff.

There are over 1000 microwbreweries in PA now, with a lot of them attached to bars.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Pittsburg and try https://burgatorybar.com

A couple of years ago we sent a Crew to Pittsburg (we're located in Harrisburg) for a weeklong job.
For Lunch we'd head for Burgatory for either Lunch or Supper.

An Unusually Good meal.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Masks are required by most businesses and stores. In my experience nobody actually enforces the requirements. Museums and places like that might.

Prepay and pump your own gas everywhere.

We are short on natural disasters so far this year.

Indian Echo Caverns is close to Hershey. Pretty awesome thing to see.

If you want to go farther away you can check out Penns Cave and Wildlife Park in Centre Hall.

Of course I will always recommend spending at least a day in Gettysburg. See the museum and the diorama. You can go to Gettysburger for lunch and Blue & Gray for dinner. Go to Devils Den and climb around.

If you want to go east to Philly, the Mutter Medical Museum is pretty awesome.
View Quote

+1 to that, it doesn't look like OP is heading to Philly though.  

I'll just echo what most have said already.  Gettysburg for sure.  Just the stuff at Hershey can kill a day or two.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Dude the Rat is long gone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Dobbins House, Rum Bellies.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Definitely check out Gettysburg. Newfangled Brew works in Harrisburg is owned by an ARF.commer. Hershey Chocolate World can burn some time.
View Quote

Thanks for the plug!  

If you land yourself in the Hershey area I’m on the eastern side of Harrisburg addresses. Pending traffic its a 10-15 min ride from Hershey to my place.

If you’re around for Saturday I’m hosting an after party for a Veteran’s of PA fundraiser in conjunction with 717 Armory, for the small village VOPA is building to house homeless vets.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pittsburg and try https://burgatorybar.com

A couple of years ago we sent a Crew to Pittsburg (we're located in Harrisburg) for a weeklong job.
For Lunch we'd head for Burgatory for either Lunch or Supper.

An Unusually Good meal.
View Quote

Tessaro’s in the Bloomfield section of Pittsburgh is supposed to have the best burgers in the ‘burgh.  
I have never been and don’t get out much aside from work, so just hearsay to me.  
I have had burgatory at PNC park but that probably doesn’t count.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Harper's Tavern is near Ft. Indiantown Gap. I believe it is the largest NG base in the country.
You could see helicopters or jets flying around, if you're into that sort of thing.
Harper's has some excellent prime rib and the peanut butter pie is awesome as well.

Trops Gun Shop and Lanco Tactical are both in Elizabethtown, which is south of Hershey.  
As mentioned, Troeg's is a great place to stop. Rotunda Brewing in Hershey is nice as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]
If you're spending the night in Hershey, The Hershey Pantry has a pretty good breakfast ( East side of town), and Funks in Palmyra has a decent breakfast buffet on Sunday mornings.

As far as attractions, Hershey Park is open, but at a reduced capacity and you MUST make a reservation online in advance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Hoss's Steak & Seafood Restaurant
Head there for Harrisburg, Hershey and vicinity.

out of

3rd best Steak House I know.

(No. 1 was in Texas)

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're spending the night in Hershey, The Hershey Pantry has a pretty good breakfast ( East side of town), and Funks in Palmyra has a decent breakfast buffet on Sunday mornings.

As far as attractions, Hershey Park is open, but at a reduced capacity and you MUST make a reservation online in advance.
View Quote

The Pantry's pancakes are awesome. So is their bacon.
Great, now I want breakfast.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

WATCH OUT FOR POLICE AROUND HERSHEY.  ACTUALLY stay close to the speed limit.  If you find yourself heading south out of Hershey, slightly downhill on a blind curve and find yourself thinking 'hey, there might be an officer hiding there' - there was for me.
View Quote

@bendersgame .. Township cops only pull people over for doing 15mph or more over the posted speed limit.  Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Plus 1 for Troegs Brewery in Hershey! Trop & Lanco Tactical are pretty good gun shops as previously mentioned. The Spring House Tavern in the basement of the Dobbin House in Gettysburg is a great lunch stop also.  Check out Reddings Hardware for an old timey gun shop as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are going to see Falling Water when you leave go out through Ohio Pyle, it's not far from there.  Some nice scenery and good places to eat there. Food  From there you could head north and get on PA TP at Donegal or Somerset.

ETA:  Make an appt for the tour at Falling Waters before you go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Guys We're having a GREAT trip. Gettysburg was not to be missed. Spent two full days there. We have really enjoyed the "meat markets" along our path. Very different than at home. Fun to see and taste all the great food! Only had one traffic issue resulting in a lost half hour. The scenery is outstanding with rolling estates to row houses to riverfront. ALL really pretty. Here for another few days and then on toward Biloxi. Thanks for all the input as it really helped!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I am glad you are enjoying your trip. Looking forward to hearing where all you went and how you enjoyed everything
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guys We're having a GREAT trip. Gettysburg was not to be missed. Spent two full days there. We have really enjoyed the "meat markets" along our path. Very different than at home. Fun to see and taste all the great food! Only had one traffic issue resulting in a lost half hour. The scenery is outstanding with rolling estates to row houses to riverfront. ALL really pretty. Here for another few days and then on toward Biloxi. Thanks for all the input as it really helped!
View Quote

Awesome!  I hope you leave with good memories of PA.

Also, did you visit Falling Waters, and if so, how was it?

I'm disappointed I've never been there.  

ETA: maybe, just maybe, one day I'll visit my cousins in El Paso.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top