Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2018 11:05:15 PM EDT
I was discussing it with my son this afternoon. Someone whacked a nice muley doe and he asked me if I wanted to go grab it for maybe salvage. I understand the legal aspect and protocol, but from a health standpoint....what's a good rule of thumb when it comes to doing this? With good cold weather temperatures, it might be reasonable within maybe 24hrs (?) or so. I've thought it would be okay if temps were 30degrees or less and if you saw it happen. I hate seeing good meat being wasted if it can be put to good use and feed someone, I'd fo'
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to get a permit from MTFWP in order to salvage road kill.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You can use un-used tags during the year and the deer can be salvaged then call in for a tag, I'm aware of the legal aspects. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. My concerns, are viability of the deer as food, specifically time-frame that carcass would still be edible/salvageable after it was struck/killed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless I hit it myself or knew for certain how long it had been lying there I would pass. I wouldn't want one that had been there more than a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless I hit it myself or knew for certain how long it had been lying there I would pass. I wouldn't want one that had been there more than a couple of hours.
View Quote
Thanks @m1awolf, sometimes I get that chances can be taken and sometimes not. Always thought temp and time were required factors. Did see a guy take a buck that had been down a bit....probably for the rack.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the time of the year and what the temps have been, summer time, especially late summer, would not pick anything up unless I hit it or seen it hit, middle of winter when the temps have been averaging in the 20's for days on end, I would take a chance and at least open it up, you will know right away if it is bad or good when it thaws, when it is winter, it really does not take them that long to chill down, I have tracked deer for 4-8 hours that I shot with a bow in cold weather and they were still fine when I found them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can use un-used tags during the year and the deer can be salvaged then call in for a tag, I'm aware of the legal aspects. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. My concerns, are viability of the deer as food, specifically time-frame that carcass would still be edible/salvageable after it was struck/killed.
View Quote
Tags?   I hope you don't mean un-used hunting tags. That's not legit for road kill salvage.

As per this article..."Under the new system, a person would go to the FWP website, complete an application, agree to terms and conditions and print out the permit within 24 hours of the crash. For serial strikers, one permit per animal is required.".

MTFWP salvage "permit"
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
One also won't know how much meat is salvageable after a vehicle collision.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tags?   I hope you don't mean un-used hunting tags. That's not legit for road kill salvage.

As per this article..."Under the new system, a person would go to the FWP website, complete an application, agree to terms and conditions and print out the permit within 24 hours of the crash. For serial strikers, one permit per animal is required.".

MTFWP salvage "permit"
View Quote
Okay, that's completely different that what I was told by the FWP game warden I speak with, so I'll look further into the specifics. Maybe he was just referring to a roadkill during season. I'm sure it may have been miscommunication or lack of beING on same page. Thanks for additional info.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Also...

MTFWP wants the head

Related to this I wouldn't chow down on deer/elk brains considering the CWD spread in the state.

BTW I can't get to the FWP website from here so maybe Bullock didn't pay the internet bill this month.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also...

MTFWP wants the head

Related to this I wouldn't chow down on deer brains considering the CWD spread in the state.
View Quote
Yeah...CWD and blue tongue are a bitch.
BUT then again, would remove worry about Apocalypse if I made zombies!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also...

MTFWP wants the head

Related to this I wouldn't chow down on deer brains considering the CWD spread in the state.
If you turned into a "walking dead" you might be able to get on to the TV show as an extra!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you turned into a "walking dead" you might be able to get on to the TV show as an extra!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also...

MTFWP wants the head

Damned straight pippy! Wouldn't even need make-up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also...

MTFWP wants the head

I don't think extras last long on the show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top