Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2018 11:03:54 AM EDT
I've been a long time member of Rio Salado, having shot there for the better part of 15 years. I hadn't been out to shoot there yet this year and had the chance this AM. As I stand in line waiting for them to open the range  I hear a non member get grilled about what he is shooting, what kind of triggers he has, etc. It seems they had an incident with a guy at a sub gun match who was using a binary trigger, and when completing the stage hadn't taken his finger off the trigger. He then apparently turned and swept the bystanders with a loaded weapon and released the trigger. (this was the story that the RSO at the counter told. I can't vouch for the accuracy).

I'm a bit dismayed to find that their solution was to ban a device and not the asshole who violated every safe handling rule. While not an expensive membership I am considering cancelling it. The experience left me wondering what I will find banned next because someone did something stupid the next time I get a chance to go?

As a member I'm in favor of them keeping people safe, but lets be honest here. The thing that needed banned wasn't the device, it was the shooter. Seems their mindset is more in line with gun grabbers and blaming devices vs habits/actions of the person.

Judging by the number of holes in the roof at the public range and the indication of the accidents that occur with some frequency, they will likely be banning ammo for use there shortly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you called or spoken to any board members? Did you attend the annual members meeting and election?
Giving up your membership changes nothing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you called or spoken to any board members? Did you attend the annual members meeting and election?
Giving up your members changes nothing.
View Quote
^^^ This
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I stopped going to Rio after shooting tues night steel every tues during the hot months for 3 years.

If you aren't a part of their inner circle, you aren't shit to them. The old timers talk shit, they gossip, they range master like a nazi club...its pretty stupid. Last time i was there i handed the old lady behind the counter my member ID and told her to shred it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
^^^ This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Giving up your members changes nothing.
^^^ This
I have not attended a meeting since the 1st year I joined, and have not spoken to any of the board members. I truly don't think one membership more or less is going to make a bit of difference to the club. In the end, it was just disturbing to see an organization that is supposed to be pro gun ban items that are legal and safe to use if used properly, like any firearm.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Its tough, I get the “try to get more involved and make it better” mindset but I have suffered the wrath of another competitor who claim to have seen things the neither the range master nor any other competitors did in a competition as well, and getting DQd for something that one loud mouth  accuses you of leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth for the situation out there.  I am in a place in my life where I can easily afford a membership and might be able to shoot more if I didn’t drive all the way out to the desert but I don’t really care for paying to be treated that rough with out having a safe word established.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I spoke to the VP of Rio concerning this and he did some investigating.  To his knowledge, they have never had anyone shoot a binary trigger at one of our subgun matches (and it wouldn't be allowed anyway as it fits neither category, semi or full auto).  He also was not aware of a negligent discharge toward participants/spectators.  There have been a few into the dirt downrange (and the rules are explicit if the discharge is closer than a few feet to the shooter they are DQ'd just for that day).  He also spoke to the main RSO at the public range and they were not aware of this story being told.  Additionally, binary triggers, bump stocks etc. are not banned at the public range.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I spoke to the VP of Rio concerning this and he did some investigating.  To his knowledge, they have never had anyone shoot a binary trigger at one of our subgun matches (and it wouldn't be allowed anyway as it fits neither category, semi or full auto).  He also was not aware of a negligent discharge toward participants/spectators.  There have been a few into the dirt downrange (and the rules are explicit if the discharge is closer than a few feet to the shooter they are DQ'd just for that day).  He also spoke to the main RSO at the public range and they were not aware of this story being told.  Additionally, binary triggers, bump stocks etc. are not banned at the public range.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I spoke to the VP of Rio concerning this and he did some investigating.  To his knowledge, they have never had anyone shoot a binary trigger at one of our subgun matches (and it wouldn't be allowed anyway as it fits neither category, semi or full auto).  He also was not aware of a negligent discharge toward participants/spectators.  There have been a few into the dirt downrange (and the rules are explicit if the discharge is closer than a few feet to the shooter they are DQ'd just for that day).  He also spoke to the main RSO at the public range and they were not aware of this story being told.  Additionally, binary triggers, bump stocks etc. are not banned at the public range.i
View Quote
I am glad Mr Kelly responded. All I can tell you is what I overheard standing there at the window last Saturday. There were signs posted at the window as well at the main public range about them not being permitted.

Ill go out in the AM and if they are still up take some pictures. lll talk to the RSO I spoke with last week as well if he is there.

Regardless @FBArms, thank you for reaching out to the club. I hadnt gotten a response as yet.

ETA: sign is stil up on the window. Different RSO this AM at the window and no third degree on the non member. Ill post the pic when I get it off my phone and remove the data on it.

ETA2: pic uploaded...

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
tag, because I've been thinking about joining. Been getting harder and harder to find a close spot in the desert.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
tag, because I've been thinking about joining. Been getting harder and harder to find a close spot in the desert.
View Quote
@ASUsax I enjoy shooting there, and it is super convenient. I was just really put off by the sign and the spiel from the RSO that day.

Ill see how it unfolds out there this year but it really didn't leave me thinking highly of the club when I left that day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL.

Sounds like some Rio board members haven’t visited in a while.

I’ve lived 5 minutes away for many years(20+), and have been there maybe ten times. The one time that was a good experience keeps my hopes up or becoming a member and getting into matches.

Then I see shit like this, and shake my head. I’ve shot full auto there(07-08ish), and nobody gave a fuck about it, nor did they care when a half dozen other people with no experience ran some mags through.  From a new-to-auto perspective, I’d rather have someone try an echo trigger before a real fun switch, seems safer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@ASUsax I enjoy shooting there, and it is super convenient. I was just really put off by the sign and the spiel from the RSO that day.

Ill see how it unfolds out there this year but it really didn't leave me thinking highly of the club when I left that day.
View Quote
Ok, the VP is working through this and asked that I post the following:

The sign in question at the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club (RSSC) Public Range, has been removed, pending Review.  The Executive Board will review on 5/2 the incidents that were involved with this decision.  Any policy or rule change will then be added to the Full Board of Directors (BOD) meeting on 5/16, under “New Business”.  Rio Salado Sportsman's club invites all interested members to attend the 5/16 meeting and participate in the decision process. At that time, a decision will be made with respect to binary triggers and bump firing (if any) and the RSSC policy (if required) will be proposed to be amended (if a policy changed is deemed).  To be clear, any RSSC Range Safety Officer (RSO) has discretion at the Public Range, if ANY shooter is deemed UNSAFE to have them stop shooting a specific firearm, and/or to leave the range for that day.  Safety is the key priority.  The firearm or firearm accessory or shooting technique, is not what is in question.  Binary triggers and bump firing stocks are currently legal per BATFE.  Again, this is a great time to be heard, at the 5/16 7:00 PM Board of Directors meeting, Rio Salado Sportsman's Club…..it is YOUR club…participation in decisions like this issue are welcomed by the BOD.  If you wish to speak on this issue, or any other issue, preferably, please contact the Vice President before hand ([email protected])…and you will be added to the agenda.  If you wish to show up and speak on this issue, or any other issue, that is also fine….and will be added to the “Visitors’ and “Members” concerns at the beginning of the meeting.   If you just want to show up, and listen, again, that is fine also.  Any and all participation is encouraged.

He emphasized that members really should show up and voice their concerns at the BOD meeting... very few people actually take the time to go to these meetings and when a group does show up, it has a greater impact.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#13]
@FBarms - thank you for the follow up. Ill plan to attend and will drop an email tonight to reserve a spot to address the Board on this topic. If I can post it here I can certainly make the time to speak with the Board of Directors.

Thank you also for showing me how receptive the Board members are to discussion. I should have reached out to them before publicly posting this issue, and for that I will apologize to them for on the 16th.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Who decided to make up their own rules and put up the sign? That dude needs to go. This does not help the stigma of range nazis at Rio.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did end up putting in for a membership. I was there last weekend and the only time I heard an RO not being extremely nice was when someone left a gun loaded on the bench during a cease fire... and they deserved what they got.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I did end up putting in for a membership. I was there last weekend and the only time I heard an RO not being extremely nice was when someone left a gun loaded on the bench during a cease fire... and they deserved what they got.
View Quote
Good! I do enjoy shooting there. Im going to attend the meeting this week (though that reminds me that I never got a reply back on being added to the agenda).
Concur on leaving a loaded rifle on the bench. Shooter was lucky they weren't tossed for the day. The rules arent that hard, but every time I'm there someone wanders over and starts fussing with something on a bench while people are down range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I may sound like a masochist but I love summer desert shooting. Get to the spot by 0530 and get out by 8 or 9. Not a soul for miles and miles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I love desert shooting, but sadly there are fire restrictions in effect everywhere
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:02:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I may sound like a masochist but I love summer desert shooting. Get to the spot by 0530 and get out by 8 or 9. Not a soul for miles and miles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except me. Those are my hours
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top