Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/1/2019 8:34:20 PM EST
I was asking a couple years back, wondering if anyone has dealt with it.

My brother and ex had a fight that got nasty before their breakup, cops got called, she pulled a knife, he kicked her to get the knife gone. Cop saw the kick, not the knife.

Apparently he was told he can apply 10 years after the conviction-which will be this spring. But the governor's FAQ page says something different. Basically the state can only restore firearms rights after restoring voting rights-which he didn't lose so they can't be restored. Also since it was federal law and not state that took his rights the state doesn't have the authority.

He's gotten on touch with a lawyer who says there's a way to get it done-interesting considering what the governor's page says otherwise. Is he going to be throwing thousands at a lost cause? FWIW since the original charge he has gotten custody of their son and stayed out of trouble but I imagine that only goes so far.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:03:01 PM EST
Maybe pose the question to Grassley or Ernst? They should be able to shed some light from the federal level.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:21:11 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By river_rat:
Maybe pose the question to Grassley or Ernst? They should be able to shed some light from the federal level.
View Quote
I'll suggest it to him. That's an idea I never thought of. Thanks.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top