Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2021 11:18:43 PM EDT
Tomorrow, the family and I, begin our trek to your great state. I rarely travel any great distances, without a truck gun.

Are there any weird, or off the wall rifle laws in Texas? In Missouri, for instance, you can not have a loaded, concealed rifle in your vehicle, unless you have a CCW permit. (I have my CCW)  

Thanks for any info you can help me with.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You can carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or on your person without any permits in Texas. There is not difference between loaded or unloaded.

Your permit is good to carry a handgun here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle or on your person without any permits in Texas. There is not difference between loaded or unloaded.

Your permit is good to carry a handgun here.
View Quote

Don speaks the truth.  What part of MO?  Have family up in Warsaw, MO.  Enjoy your trip and be safe!
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The correct legal answer is above so don’t hesitate to bring it. Like every state, there are some LEOs who don’t like citizens having “scary” guns so I suggest you think about whether you want to throw a towel over it or not or have it in a case when driving down the road. Depending on where I’m going, my own practice on that varies.

Welcome to TX. Enjoy your visit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don speaks the truth.  What part of MO?  Have family up in Warsaw, MO.  Enjoy your trip and be safe!
View Quote

I'm a little further north, between kc and Columbia.

I did dj a wedding in Warsaw a few weeks ago, and drove through the area every once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The correct legal answer is above so don’t hesitate to bring it. Like every state, there are some LEOs who don’t like citizens having “scary” guns so I suggest you think about whether you want to throw a towel over it or not or have it in a case when driving down the road. Depending on where I’m going, my own practice on that varies.

View Quote

Thanks!

I keep mine behind the back seat , in a soft case, with a lock cable run through the mag well and ejection port. It's there if things look to get too sporty for a pistol. Lol.

Only other issue, that may have me leave it home, is,  we are visiting the space center. Not sure I want to have it in the truck there, and I'm damn sure not leaving it in the motel. I also don't like putting on a display, carrying a rifle case, to and fro, between motel and truck. I like to leave it locked on the cable, locked in the truck.

My pistol would be left in the truck at the SC, so I guess any issues that a rifle would cause, would be a moot point.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I keep mine behind the back seat , in a soft case, with a lock cable run through the mag well and ejection port. It's there if things look to get too sporty for a pistol. Lol.

Only other issue, that may have me leave it home, is,  we are visiting the space center. Not sure I want to have it in the truck there, and I'm damn sure not leaving it in the motel. I also don't like putting on a display, carrying a rifle case, to and fro, between motel and truck. I like to leave it locked on the cable, locked in the truck.

My pistol would be left in the truck at the SC, so I guess any issues that a rifle would cause, would be a moot point.
View Quote

You might want to look into (or someone here will chime in) the legality of that.  Someone not too long ago asked about whether or not that's federal property.  I don't remember the answer, but it's worth looking into.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

The Space Center you can not carry in. Rifle will depend how well you can secure it would decide whether to bring it. Space Center is not in a bad area, but is still close to Houston.

If you can see if you can get a Level 9 tour. These last all day, includes lunch, you taken all around the space center and see quite a few areas where astronauts train, plus the original and current control room. If your kids are teens and older it is a great tour, younger kids may not be able to keep up with the tour and get tired/cranky easily. The tours are conducted my retired employees of the Space Center.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Space Center you can not carry in. Rifle will depend how well you can secure it would decide whether to bring it. Space Center is not in a bad area, but is still close to Houston.

If you can see if you can get a Level 9 tour. These last all day, includes lunch, you taken all around the space center and see quite a few areas where astronauts train, plus the original and current control room. If your kids are teens and older it is a great tour, younger kids may not be able to keep up with the tour and get tired/cranky easily. The tours are conducted my retired employees of the Space Center.
View Quote

Not planning to carry in the space center, I know that's a no-no. As far as the rifle being secured, I run a lock cable through the magwell and ejection port, the cable is secured around the seat frame.

2 year old and a 10 year old. I don't think the young'n  would last for the all day tour, but the older bit and I would eat it up. Lol
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not planning to carry in the space center, I know that's a no-no. As far as the rifle being secured, I run a lock cable through the magwell and ejection port, the cable is secured around the seat frame.

2 year old and a 10 year old. I don't think the young'n  would last for the all day tour, but the older bit and I would eat it up. Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it in a few more years when the kids are older. It is one of those things you need to do once in life. To be in the control room where the moon loading were all run from.

One thing I am not real clear on is if you can leave your gun in the truck in the parking lot at the Space Center. The lot is not on a secure parking lot, but still Fed property.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Roof mounted m61 Vulcan cannons are legal.

Carry anything you want.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Roof mounted m61 Vulcan cannons are legal.

Carry anything you want.
View Quote

I like the way you think
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Leave your rifle at home in the safe.  Car burglaries are rampant in Texas.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I keep mine behind the back seat , in a soft case,
with a lock cable run through the mag well and ejection port. It's there if things look to get too sporty for a pistol. Lol.

View Quote

Sorry but if things get too sporty with a pistol you are fucked..  If your in a situation where you need to break off then find some keys and load some shit you have lost the battle.      

Loaded rifle have no issues here.   Hell I bet troopers see more loaded rifles in cars than cars without guns.    Loaded handguns must be concealed if you do not have a permit.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:26:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry but if things get too sporty with a pistol you are fucked..  If your in a situation where you need to break off then find some keys and load some shit you have lost the battle.      

Loaded rifle have no issues here.   Hell I bet troopers see more loaded rifles in cars than cars without guns.    Loaded handguns must be concealed if you do not have a permit.
View Quote

It's a compromise man, that's it.  

Yes, I might not be able to get the lock combo in time, but AT LEAST IT'S THERE. I'd rather it be there, in the slight chance I'd need it, and could get to it,  than it not be there at all.

The compromise is security. I weigh the likelihood of an encounter, in which it's possibly needed (not very likely), with the possibility of it being stolen (much more likely than shtf), so I secure it in the most practical way for this compromise.

Didn't bring it on the trip. Logistics and keeping it secure just didn't work out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Ya'll prepping for an attack by 9 people while you are traveling are a bit much.

The odds of this are so low, you will die in a crash on your road trip first 100 times.

Bring a handgun with a decent caliber and a couple spare mags and leave the goddamn rifles at home.  It getting stolen is 100 times more likely in a car burglary than you needing to fire a single shot on any day this year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top