Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
What will be the caliber and Muzzle Energy restrictions?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The House amendment's synopsis:

"Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Wildlife Code. Defines "centerfire" and "single shot". Allows a person to take deer with a single shot centerfire rifle during the open season set by the Director of Natural Resources. Limits legal handguns and rifles to centerfire handguns that are either single shot or revolvers and centerfire rifles that are single shot. Limits legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun or rifle to a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding one and two-fifths inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Provides that it is unlawful while deer hunting: (1) to possess or be in close proximity to a rifle that is not centerfire; or (2) be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single shot."

Source: https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4386&GAID=16&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=137698&SessionID=110
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The House amendment's synopsis:

"Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Wildlife Code. Defines "centerfire" and "single shot". Allows a person to take deer with a single shot centerfire rifle during the open season set by the Director of Natural Resources. Limits legal handguns and rifles to centerfire handguns that are either single shot or revolvers and centerfire rifles that are single shot. Limits legal ammunition for a centerfire handgun or rifle to a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding one and two-fifths inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Provides that it is unlawful while deer hunting: (1) to possess or be in close proximity to a rifle that is not centerfire; or (2) be in possession of or in close proximity to a magazine that is capable of making a rifle not a single shot."

Source: https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4386&GAID=16&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=137698&SessionID=110
View Quote

Better than nothing.   300blk is still gtg, along with 350L and the other straight wall rounds.  You can just use a rifle now.  This is actually fairly important with the brace ban proposal coming.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to be able to use a 450 bm or 350 legend, as well as for my kids.   This is long overdue.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not allow repeating, manually operated (lever, pump, bolt, etc.) rifles? This is a bullshit law designed to buy a few Fudd votes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
So a .50-70 is GTG?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I was looking forward to this passing B4 the single shot element was added.

Leave it to the state to take the fun out of this!

Do they make a no rounds mag for the AR? Something that would hold the bolt open and allow you to drop in another round?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a single shot mag called a Bob-sled, got mine from White Oak Armory in illinois.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I think if the mag holds any rounds you may be in violation of the single shot aspect of the rule.

You could have one in the chamber and 1 in the mag.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
So you could use an AR if you had no magazines on or near you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes you can use an AR without a magazine.

A Bobsled mag is OK too.  It allows you to single load with bolt open.  It does not hold a round for loading a second shot with a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes you can use an AR without a magazine.

A Bobsled mag is OK too.  It allows you to single load with bolt open.  It does not hold a round for loading a second shot with a closed bolt.
View Quote

Cool, so my .450 BM is good to go.  And my Ruger M77 .357 without a mag, great!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I see what caliber they mean by 1.4 inch and .30 caliber.  Duh!!  .300 Black Out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I see what caliber they mean by 1.4 inch and .30 caliber.  Duh!!  .300 Black Out.
View Quote

Yup, .300blk was deer legal as a single shot pistol (use a Bob sled)....but having it rifle legal will nice as well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I heard, it passed and goes into effect jan 1st, 2023.  Does anyone have additional info  or knowledge of when it goes in the hunting digest?
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#16]
When the crossbow bill passed weeks B4 season they were allowed that season.

What could be the holdup with not allowing rifle this fall?

Thanks for the bobsled mag info.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
You can also get a single shot follower. It's about half the price of a bobsled and changes the magazine to be able to hold no other rounds. Just don't have the original follower with you or any other magazines.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When the crossbow bill passed weeks B4 season they were allowed that season.

What could be the holdup with not allowing rifle this fall?

Thanks for the bobsled mag info.
View Quote

HB2893 (the crossbow bill) was passed with an effective date defined in the legislation, stating that it goes into effect immediately upon becoming public law.

HB4386 (the rifle bill) had no such statement, so per Illinois law (5 ILCS 75) it goes into effect on January 1 of the next calendar year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw an FAQ page where they list all the legal calibers, as well as saying bolt,lever,and AR style rifles are legal as long as no other magazines are in possession except a single shot mag or a plug.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saw an FAQ page where they list all the legal calibers, as well as saying bolt,lever,and AR style rifles are legal as long as no other magazines are in possession except a single shot mag or a plug.
View Quote

Link to the FAQ? I've been looking into which rifles I can convert to legal for deer here and have yet to see anything saying a 45-70 lever is good to go.
That would be great!
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I googled idnr,  www2.illinois.gov.   There is a FAQ link.  Sounds like actual administrative changes wont be printed until later, so not sure how legal the information on that site is.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I googled idnr,  www2.illinois.gov.   There is a FAQ link.  Sounds like actual administrative changes wont be printed until later, so not sure how legal the information on that site is.

View Quote

Copy. Yeah I did check out the DNR site but I didn't see where it specifically mentions AR platforms or Lever actions like some of the previous posters mentioned.
Guessing it's just wait and see till they put out more details in next years rule book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top