Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2022 6:50:46 PM EDT
Is it possible to build a bolt action rifle for less than the cost of buying the same rifle like you can an AR?

I'd really like to get an accurate "target" rifle but the cost is prohibitive unfortunately.  My last AR I built from buying parts on sale over a series of a few years.  I was curious if it was possible to something similar with a bolt action buying a receiver, bolt, trigger, barrel, stock/chassis, etc. over time and if so, is it a good or bad idea?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt action rifle can be a broad topic - hunting, rimfire, PRS competition? That will help you get better answers. Also, what range do you need to engage targets and - if hunting - what animals.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I assume we're not talking about Extremely Long Range.

Short answer is no. With the advances in modern machinery and the volume manufacturing that the big guys are selling guns for even the sub $500 guns typically are all MOA or better guns with the right ammo.
It would be hard to just find a decent action (think of it like the "lower" from an AR) for less than $300. Add to that the barrel, stock, trigger, scope rail and you're way up there.

All under $500
Ruger American
Savage Axis
Mossberg Patriot

Hell, a Bergara Base model B14 is right around $700.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Watch the EE for a good used Rem 700 PSS, Rem 700 LTR, or Savage 10FP/110 Tactical.

This will give you a solid base rifle with tons of aftermarket upgrade options for later down the road.

I have two pre-accutrigger Savage rifles, one is the 10FP in .308 and the other is a 110 Tactical in .223. Yes, the 110 long action is chambered in .223, in the 90's when Savage started down the precision rifle path, their 110 Tactical series were all built on long actions. They both shoot well under MOA.

I did my own trigger work on them and dropped both into better stocks.

Years ago when the FN-SPR actions were available, I had a rifle built using one with a Douglas barrel. Total was less than 1K but that's because I knew the gunsmith and he didn't charge me labor, just parts.

Bolt guns are not plug and play like AR's.

The older Remington's are better than what the internet says.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That's what I thought but I figured I would ask you guys to be sure.  

If I had the spare cash the Bergara B14 would be on my shortlist. For now it sits on the wishlist.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Watch the EE for a good used Rem 700 PSS, Rem 700 LTR, or Savage 10FP/110 Tactical.

This will give you a solid base rifle with tons of aftermarket upgrade options for later down the road.

I have two pre-accutrigger Savage rifles, one is the 10FP in .308 and the other is a 110 Tactical in .223. Yes, the 110 long action is chambered in .223, in the 90's when Savage started down the precision rifle path, their 110 Tactical series were all built on long actions. They both shoot well under MOA.

Years ago when the FN-SPR actions were available, I had a rifle built using one with a Douglas barrel. Total was less than 1K but that's because I knew the gunsmith and he didn't charge me labor, just parts.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/1eWTYF.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/it7H6e.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/J6KJGp.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/fIvacx.jpg
View Quote

I have a Savage 110 FCSS in .30-06 with the Accu-trigger.  It's a very accurate rifle but too many reasons not to use it for target shooting (ammo cost, recoil, narrow barrel).  

A (pre Accu) 110 was my first bolt action hunting rifle and I was amazed how accurate they were for the super low price.  They've since become more popular and more expensive but still a bargain.  I'm definitely a Savage fan girl.

If I ever get a dedicated target bolt gun it'll probably be the Bergara B14.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/1eWTYF.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/it7H6e.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/J6KJGp.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/fIvacx.jpg
View Quote

I have a Savage 110 FCSS in .30-06 with the Accu-trigger.  It's a very accurate rifle but too many reasons not to use it for target shooting (ammo cost, recoil, narrow barrel).  

A (pre Accu) 110 was my first bolt action hunting rifle and I was amazed how accurate they were for the super low price.  They've since become more popular and more expensive but still a bargain.  I'm definitely a Savage fan girl.

If I ever get a dedicated target bolt gun it'll probably be the Bergara B14.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
If you already have a Savage, I’d suggest just getting a match barrel for it vs building anything else. That will be the cheapest route by far.

If you want to stay budget friendly, buy a used Tikka or R700.

When it comes to building out a precision rifle, you can easily drop 1000-3500 before even purchasing glass. You can spend far less and get a sub-Moa capable rifle, but the heart of precision will be a quality barrel.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]
You can piece one together like an AR.    There are several aftermarket actions out there that take prefit barrels and numerous places to purchase prefit barrels for these actions.  All you need is a set of GO/NO GO gauges, barrel vise and torque wrench to install the barrel on the action. If you can assemble an AR you can assemble a bolt rifle using a prefit.  It will still cost you more than a Remington or Savage but you'll have a much better rifle in the end.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
What happened with Bookhound and the place he was working at? They built some interesting pieces for a while.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What happened with Bookhound and the place he was working at? They built some interesting pieces for a while.
View Quote

Accurate Ordnance, they shut their doors several years back, but the staff and equipment are at various locations still putting out nice firearms.

Unfortunately, budget and custom smithed rifles typically don’t go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have built three target/varmint rifles off Savage actions - accurate but kind of clunky. Never get your money out of it if you try to sell. I shoot my Savage 223 trainer a lot with heavy projectiles - pretty cheap way to practice plus I load them full progressive on a Dillon.

Look at the Bergara HMR - "Hunting Match Rifle". Multiple caliber options and often available lightly used on ODT. Lots of bang for the bucks. Kind of heavy for hunting and too light for true PRS competition. I had a 65CM HMR before I moved to customs.

Tikka CTR and Tikka Varmints are great also. These have good resale if you decide to go another way plus they have a reasonable amount of market support for accessories.

I have bought multiple used target rifles (two used Accurate Ordnance off ODT) and that is a good way to start (assume barrels will need to be replaced sooner than later though).

JLarge usually selling great slightly used target rifles at huge discount!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#13]
It's really just pie in the sky wondering right now.  I'm not in a position to do anything at the moment so I'm just sort of researching for a later date.  Much thanks! As usual, you guys are a wealth of knowledge
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Definitely get a quality barrel when you begin the project.

Proof tested 2 fresh builds just before Thanksgiving. First rounds fired.

6creedmoor

6.5x47L

223 w/ factory 77gr

With a good barrel and decent trigger pulling, results like this become much easier to achieve, so much so, that it’s expected.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Dude, you still can't hit the bullseye!

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top