Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2020 11:42:28 AM EDT
Are we still required to return cancelled license plates to the state?

Leased a new car and got new plates.  I already cancelled the reg on the car I sold to the MA dealer, but didn’t see any instructions on the CT DMV website about whether I need to return the old plates.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Go online. Select cancel and keep plates
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Its hilarious that a page that is supposed to instruct you on returning plates says nothing about plates.

Returning Connecticut License Plates and Cancelling a Registration

Perhaps the online form indicated on that link says something about returning plates.
The last confirmation page is your plate receipt; you must print this plate receipt confirmation page if you would like to keep a copy for your records. ***IMPORTANT NOTICE - Please keep this receipt and contact your local Assessor's Office, who will require a copy of this receipt and other information to adjust your tax bill.
View Quote

Make sure to contact your local assessors office. That is something many forget. Know several who moved from CT and didn't notify their former assessors office and then got taxed on cars they no longer had. Fun times they had trying to get that car removed from their former town's tax rolls.

A google search turns up this PDF from Guilford. Don't know how old it is or if it still applies. It indicates the plate gets returned.
http://ci.guilford.ct.us/wp-content/uploads/Returning-plates.pdf
To return plate(s) and cancel a registration, you must visit any DMV branch or satellite office and:
1.Return your registration marker number (license) plate(s);
2.Request a cancellation of the returned registration marker number (license) plate and;
3.Request a receipt.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Because I couldn’t find current instructions about actually returning them in person at a DMV office or via mail, I’m thinking they stopped taking them back because of Covid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely no need to return plates, (did registrations at a car dealer part time up to this year).  Good idea to check with your town a short time after cancelling online, shockingly the DMV isn't foolproof.  Turned mine into cheese graters at the range
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
When  you cancel your plates at ct DMV online, you can simply opt to dispose of your plates, then just throw them in the trash.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You don’t need to dispose of them, and they can be reused the next time you register a vehicle; this will avoid a fee for the cost of the physical plate.

I would advise not driving around with them in another car
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top