User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2018 3:47:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Burly Earl
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was a kid visiting relatives in Birmingham,  there was a restaurant (steakhouse I think),that had different themes inside. You would walk behind a waterfall outside, then sit in an area like a train car, submarine, etc.
Been years since I was there, they had pretty good food, and great atmosphere.
I also miss the old original Western Sizzling from the '70's and Quincy's from the 80's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was a kid visiting relatives in Birmingham,  there was a restaurant (steakhouse I think),that had different themes inside. You would walk behind a waterfall outside, then sit in an area like a train car, submarine, etc.
I also miss the old original Western Sizzling from the '70's and Quincy's from the 80's.
View Quote
There are still a handful of Western Sizzlins left. Rainbow City has one as does Fort Payne. Oxford and Albertville/Boaz each have one and I want to say Scottsboro has one.

I miss Quincy’s yeast rolls.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Geeka Morgan's Down the Street, Baby Doe's Matchless Mine
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The Dragon Chinese restaurant in North Wildwood in Homewood.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Formaggio’s behind UAB. Awesome pizza and calzones.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I miss Quincy’s yeast rolls.
View Quote
I do too.

The building that used to be Quincy's on the Southern Boulevard in Montgomery (just off I-65) still has the Quincy's sign up, or did the last time I went by there.  Brings back memories of eating at Quincy's growing up in the 80s.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Johnny Ray's BBQ on Valley road.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was that the one in Homewood near Sammy’s across from the Sonic?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Eddie's on 280.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Restaurants with train cars were Twickenham Station. There used to be one in Eastdale Mall in Montgomery. Some of the train cars were moved to Country's BBQ in Clanton after the restaurant closed in Montgomery. That was the one that burned.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Florida Grill and Irish Deli.

Great places to eat and scenery was usually pretty good.
View Quote
As a teen I was in the Sheriffs Dept scour explorer program. One of our advisors at the SD also worked at the Irish Deli. I used to love going there.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I miss Baby Does ..
and a chain called Spats
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Loved that place.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:40:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was a Johnny Rays in Forestdale. Some good que.
Southern Legacy BBQ in Hoover. It’s now a Salt Grass Steakhouse
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Johny Rays on Valley was good indeed.  The one still open at the Collonade is still decent.

Pasquales Pizza

Speedy Gonzales at the fairgrounds

Carnaggios Italian in Fairfield.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't recall that place. There was a place in Clanton that had train car inside. Burned to the ground, arson.

One of the cooks in that place was getting the good looking waitresses hooked on crack and pimping them out on the side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't recall that place. There was a place in Clanton that had train car inside. Burned to the ground, arson.

One of the cooks in that place was getting the good looking waitresses hooked on crack and pimping them out on the side.
The Sailmaker. It was in Vestavia across 31 from where the Red Lobster is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Johny Rays on Valley was good indeed.  The one still open at the Collonade is still decent.

Pasquales Pizza

View Quote
I think there is a Pasquales in Gardendale. There used to be one in Forestdale, but it’s been closed for years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think there is a Pasquales in Gardendale. There used to be one in Forestdale, but it’s been closed for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pasquales Pizza

There’s still one in Boaz.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I vaguely remember Twickenham Station, but the Sailmaker would be the one I was referring to.
Couldn't remember that name.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sailmaker.

I f*ing loved going there as a kid. I dont remember the food, tho.

Dales in Homewood. My mom would take me there about once a month. I do remember the food being pretty doggone good.

I loved Kelly's by Eastwood mall. (did a search to get the name - I remember it as Dilly's Deli, but photo says Kellys)
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Formaggio’s behind UAB. Awesome pizza and calzones.
View Quote
I believe the owners relocated to Hoover to open up Pazzo's Pizza off of 31 across the street from the Cadillac dealership.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sailmaker.

Dales in Homewood. My mom would take me there about once a month. I do remember the food being pretty doggone good.

I loved Kelly's by Eastwood mall. (did a search to get the name - I remember it as Dilly's Deli, but photo says Kellys)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sailmaker.

I remember it as Dilly's Deli/Sandwiches too.  I used to go there with my dad when I was a little kid.

I remember when Krispy Kreme doughnuts was on the corner next to Century Plaza mall.. it was replaced by an Olive Garden.  I resent the replacement, lol.  I've never been to that OG on purpose.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I miss the Irish Deli, OP.  Did lunch there at least twice a week when I did a ten year stint at UAB.  The owner knew I liked his soup creations and would flag me down to try a new one he'd made. The scenery was nice, too.

Also miss Dilly's Deli. One of my fondest memories was when me and two of my brothers dove in to pick up some of those huge, swirled ice cream cones. Brother Ken had just gotten out of the Navy and was hankering for a Dilly's ice cream. We were cutting up in the car at the drive through. We got to laughing so hard (one of those laughing things where you have to stop and breath) that we could not even enjoy the ice cream cones. We'd settle down, try and eat the cones and start cracking up again. My brother Ken started the next round of laughing with the line: "You SOB's, STOP IT! I've been laughing so hard a turd is gopher holing me anus." That was the end of the ice cream eating.  We bailed the car laughing our guts out and chunked the melting ice creams in the garbage.  Ken went inside for an emergency pit stop.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Why didn't Fuddrucker's ever reopen after the robbery and fire?  Too much damage?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Tavern on the Summit and Leonardo's are the two I miss the most.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why didn't Fuddrucker's ever reopen after the robbery and fire?  Too much damage?
View Quote
Could it have been a huge increase in insurance premiums?

We had a local chain in Montgomery - Flip's - that had an after hours burglary at one of the stores.  The thug that broke in set fire to the restaurant to cover his tracks.  MPD caught the thug, but the insurance company jacked up Flip's insurance rates so high that they could no longer afford to stay in business.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Could it have been a huge increase in insurance premiums?

We had a local chain in Montgomery - Flip's - that had an after hours burglary at one of the stores.  The thug that broke in set fire to the restaurant to cover his tracks.  MPD caught the thug, but the insurance company jacked up Flip's insurance rates so high that they could no longer afford to stay in business.
View Quote
That could be.  It stayed vacant for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Jimez's in Hueytown.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top