Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2020 10:28:08 AM EDT
From Tim Eyman’s website:  Tim4gov.com

In less than a day, an avalanche of emails from Pro-2A Patriots has slammed Bellingham’s mayor and city council members (I also receive them so I know it’s a ton). It’s in response to yesterday’s update:
https://tim4gov.com/2020/03/21/action-alert-anti-2nd-amendment-provisions-must-be-removed/
They’re overwhelmed with regular citizens asking them to do something that’s easy: modify their emergency ordinances and remove the offensive anti-2A provisions.
Only one councilmember has responded. Instead of agreeing to eliminate them, in his emails he’s “promising” people that they’ll never exercise these powers (exact quote: “it will not be used”). His emails claim the mayor is against exercising these powers (exact quote: “The mayor would not support it.”).
There’s a lot of holes in that:
One councilmember claims in an email the government won’t use these powers — what about other councilmembers?
He claims in the email that he knows what the mayor will do — how would he?
Even if we believed him, what about a future council and a future mayor?
Many of the Pro-2A Patriots who received his emailed response asked him an obvious follow-up question:
“If you’re never going to do them, then remove them.”
Rather than agreeing to remove them, the councilmember doubled down with an even more emphatic emailed promise:
“The mayor has been clear that he does NOT support restrictions on gun sales as an emergency action, and I agree with him. It won’t happen.”
Same holes.
And if “it won’t happen,” then there’s no reason to deny citizens’ simple request to remove subsections 5,7,9 (here they are: In the event of disaster … the mayor is empowered to do the following: 5. “An order requiring the discontinuation of the sale, distribution, or giving away of firearms … 7. “An order requiring the closure of business establishments where firearms are sold …” 9. “An order prohibiting the carrying of possession of firearms …”).
We shouldn’t have to trust a politician in an email that our God-given rights won’t get trampled.

YOUR EMAILS ARE WORKING

Your public pressure is working. Buried in a recent response to a Pro-2A Patriot, this councilmember wrote:
“We have asked the city attorneys to look at that.”
The ice is cracking. They know the people are paying attention right now so they’re trying to put this off so the public forgets. They can look at the US Constitution NOW. They can look at the Washington State Constitution NOW. The emergency ordinances are being voted on Monday evening. The offensive anti-2A provisions can easily be removed within those same emergency ordinances.
Now is the time.
I believe we are on the verge of a huge victory for the 2nd Amendment if we all double-up on our pressure.

I encourage everyone to send your emails RIGHT NOW – here’s how:

In the “To” line, copy and paste:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Subject line: One councilmember claims you will “never” use the emergency powers in subsections 5, 7, & 9 to restrict my gun rights. If that’s true, then remove them. There’s absolutely no excuse for you to not fulfill this very simple request in Monday night’s vote.

In the body of the email, copy and paste this or write something like this — TELL THEM HOW YOU FEEL:

One councilmember claims in an email that the government will “never” use the emergency powers in subsections 5, 7, & 9 in the Bellingham Municipal Code to restrict my gun rights. If that’s true, then remove them. There’s absolutely no excuse for you to not fulfill this very simple request in Monday night’s vote. We shouldn’t have to trust one politician’s word in an email. Remove the power, remove the threat of it being exercised. These anti-2A provisions clearly violate both our US Constitution and our state Constitution (Article 1, Section 24 is clear: “the right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired.”). Law-abiding citizens have every right to personally protect themselves — this is true at any time, but most especially during times like these. As former supreme court justice Richard Sanders recently said: “Our constitutional rights are most necessary in times of crises, not tranquility.” He’s exactly right. There is absolutely no justification for these blatantly unconstitutional provisions and your emergency ordinances should be modified to remove them. Please confirm you received my email message.

PLEASE, EVERYONE, send your emails immediately.

ACTION ALERT: The city council has made it very clear this is an open public meeting where anyone can attend. I will be there (Mon, March 23, 7:00pm, 210 Lottie St, Bellingham) to speak out against these outrageous provisions because I’m very concerned the mayor and council will ignore us if all we do is send emails. In-person, vocal testimony has always been the most effective way to lobby politicians. Join me if you want to. I hope to see you there.

EDIT:  improve formatting (I’m on mobile)
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Emailed, I'll be there tonight.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure to show up armed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Taken from a article the mayor is denying  gun ban.

Of course they dont want people showing up.

Residents are urged to stay away from tonight's (Monday) meeting as strict attendance rules are in effect and no public comment will be taken.

It will be televised live on BTV and online and residents are asked to contact the council by phone, email or letter.

Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Any After Action Reports?
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Email back from mayor's office

Good evening,

There is nothing being considered with respect to banning firearms or the sale of alcohol and there never was. WE are proposing a minor procedure amendment that relates to the process by which council members must be notified to convene to confirm emergency orders that were exercised by the Mayor. Nothing is being banned, period.

City officials addressed these circumstances in a news release distributed yesterday, linked here: City Council considers code changes to aid in pandemic response

Should the City Council choose after this crisis is over to reconsider any sections of this code provision, they are rightfully entitled to do so.

Some background about why it is on the agenda in the way it is: The existing code language regarding a curfew, firearms, and other examples of emergency orders dates back to 1977. These measures are not being ordered or implemented in Bellingham. The entire code provision is included in the packet because the Bellingham City Charter requires that when we amend a code section, the amendment has to be shown in context. The amendments being proposed at this time are procedural in nature and have nothing to do with the examples of orders that were placed into the code in 1977.

Sincerely,

Seth Fleetwood

Mayor

City of Bellingham

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting video from the Bellingham Council meeting:

City Council meeting gets heated (members walkout)
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Even more interesting the Bellingham Herald hadn't reported this exchange.  
In fact it didn't provide any news from Monday night's Council Meeting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
They obviously didn't want to have a discussion with the 2A side.   We want a presentation from the other folks ( that's OK), but not from you because of health concerns.

The guy leading the meeting was obviously frustrated and did not conduct himself in a very professional manner of a public servant.  Obviously did NOT like being questioned. At least he got the emails.

They mayor, to his credit, obviously tried some fence mending.

And the basic question of 'If you're not going to use them, why not remove them' never got a straight answer.

Boss
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top