Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 10/18/2021 4:53:24 PM EDT
There is currently an issue on the ballot being pushed by the leftist organization "Citizens for a Safer Cleveland", and backed by mayoral-candidate Bibb (a virtual Obama clone who under-reports income on taxes and doesn't pay his bills).  As all groups that use such innocuous language, they are full of shit.  Despite the shady dealings of this organization regarding collecting the requisite signatures to get the issue on the ballot, polls suggest it has a chance of passing.

This organization has been circulating flyers describing this as a mere "civilian oversight" board for police.  They just want better police!  Obviously, nobody reads anything about what they vote for, so this sways a lot of people.  In fact, this organization is patently anti-police (and not for the better), and the language in the proposed charter would give complete, and absolute control of the PD to a group of activists and agenda-driven individuals with axes to grind.  Who are these activists?  Well, the group has been looking for POCs, people who claim to have been brutalized by police, incarcerated, sued the police, or who have represented someone suing the police as their lawyer.  Who they are not looking for is anyone who might have an objective, non-biased view of police, or SMEs on policy, administration, or uses-of-force.  I reiterate - this group would have absolute control, with no balance, or the need to consider any input other than their own.  Even the mayor would have no say in their decision process.  The Cleveland Division of Police already has a civilian-led oversight board - one that has proven, on video, to have biases against police.  While they do not have the final say in matters, their input is often the basis of suspensions, and terminations.  This new board would be much more powerful, and unaccountable (when we need ALL to be accountable).

I know what you are thinking (well, some of you) - "who gives a fuck about Cleveland, or police?"  They can lie in the bed they have made - right?  The issue is that this will inevitably lead to more crime, which will flow beyond the boundaries of Cleveland.  There is also the danger that this will cause other departments to consider a similar board, further compounding the issue.  Sure, this issue will, in theory, weed out some of the bad cops.  I am quite certain, however, that it will also lead to a lot of egregiously heavy-handed, and retaliatory discipline.  People are leaving policing faster than departments can replace them, and the quality of candidates has sunk so low that places are hiring borderline-felons, which such boards have no problem with, because they are "diverse".  This will do nothing but lower the quality of police, reduce the size of the department, and lead to Portland-style chaos.

If you are able to vote in Cleveland, I would urge you to vote against issue 24.  If you have family, or friends who live in Cleveland, I would suggest you have them really read what this issue is actually about.  I'd love you to tell them to vote "no", but they really should understand just what the backing organization is all about, and form their own opinion.

FULL DISCLOSURE - Yes, I am a cop, but I likely wouldn't be directly affected.  I have a lot of friends and family in Cleveland, and they certainly will be affected once crime goes through the roof - Mad Max dystopian fantasies be damned.  Many of the quaint Cuyahoga 'burbs will feel the burn, too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
My neighbor who's a Cleveland cop, stuck a vote no for 24 sign in my front yard while I wasn't looking. It's staying.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
We got fooked boys. 24 passed and Bibb won with only 26% voter participation. I predict nothing good will come out of this.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The wife and I did our part, to no avail. Hang on to your asses fellow Clevelanders it's going to get rough from here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Voting in Cuyahoga County is pointless.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR45fan:
Voting in Cuyahoga County is pointless.
View Quote

With as low as the turnout always is, one has to wonder if this game couldn't have gone a bit differently if "we" hadn't just sat on our hands.  Not that any options were great, but what we got out of the last election is looking more and more like it will be an embarrassing disaster, with Bibb playing the role of the lead clown.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shotar:
I know this is slightly off topic, but just before Christmas we took the Rapid down to public square.  It has been years since we did this.  The lights were nice, but I noticed very little police presence and a lot of bums and panhandlers.  In fact the only cop I saw was a single RTA guy.  Years ago when our kids were small, Everything was great, CPD, and RTA had the area well covered.  No bums, stores open and a great time.  I imagine if will be a very long time before we go again.
View Quote
We went down there a few years ago for the tree lighting. There were definitely a lot of cops on site, but there were a lot of bums shuffling around too. I think the bums and panhandlers are now permanent
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I know this is slightly off topic, but just before Christmas we took the Rapid down to public square.  It has been years since we did this.  The lights were nice, but I noticed very little police presence and a lot of bums and panhandlers.  In fact the only cop I saw was a single RTA guy.  Years ago when our kids were small, Everything was great, CPD, and RTA had the area well covered.  No bums, stores open and a great time.  I imagine if will be a very long time before we go again.
View Quote
There are bums all over the place now.  There's a little shanty-town by one of the highway exits near my house.  This has been going on for a while now in most big cities not just Cleveland.

The cops won't shake the pan-handlers down and shoo them away anymore and I don't blame them.  Why risk catching a case or getting fired over some drug-addled pan-handler who isn't really doing anything other than making folks feel uncomfortable?  It's one of the many ways that our lives get worse when we try to hold our police officers to unreasonable standards of perfection.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By greyguy:
There are bums all over the place now.  There's a little shanty-town by one of the highway exits near my house.  This has been going on for a while now in most big cities not just Cleveland.

The cops won't shake the pan-handlers down and shoo them away anymore and I don't blame them.  Why risk catching a case or getting fired over some drug-addled pan-handler who isn't really doing anything other than making folks feel uncomfortable?  It's one of the many ways that our lives get worse when we try to hold our police officers to unreasonable standards of perfection.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greyguy:

I've seen dudes on street corners, and at highway exits at 2:00 am. No joke. Cops will not respond unless the beggar is being aggressive. I listen to the scanner a lot when I'm in Cleveland, so I'm aware of what's happening and where to avoid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
I've seen dudes on street corners, and at highway exits at 2:00 am. No joke. Cops will not respond unless the beggar is being aggressive. I listen to the scanner a lot when I'm in Cleveland, so I'm aware of what's happening and where to avoid.
View Quote

You think CPD gives a hoot about panhandlers/beggars?????  Of course, they will not respond.  

No offense, but the scanner is telling you a drop in the bucket of what is actually going on....
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]

sad, VERY sad....my poor Mom and Dad (and ALL their siblings) Clevelanders all--spinning in their graves at Cavalry Cemetery...

even me--a youngster born in the "Best Location in the Nation" back in the 1940s remember Cleveland's glory days:

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top