Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2018 2:28:18 PM EDT
I was just wondering what the residency requirements were to get a Florida CCW?  I've looked through the application instructions and didn't see anything mentioned.  I'm asking for my youngest son (19 last month).  He is active duty Air Force and arriving today at his first duty station in Florida.  Since Florida issues permits to 18-20 year old military he was wanting to apply but he didn't know if he had to show proof of residence or have a Florida drivers license.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is he stationed?  At Eglin/Hurlbut field (Okaloosa County), all he will need is a copy of his orders and his military ID.  I don't know about other counties, but it should be the same.  AD military do not have to get a new Drivers License/tags when they PCS.  I had FL plates and DL for 22 year and six states.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you.  That's what i thought but wasn't sure.  He's at Tyndall close to Eglin.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was just wondering what the residency requirements were to get a Florida CCW?  I've looked through the application instructions and didn't see anything mentioned.  I'm asking for my youngest son (19 last month).  He is active duty Air Force and arriving today at his first duty station in Florida.  Since Florida issues permits to 18-20 year old military he was wanting to apply but he didn't know if he had to show proof of residence or have a Florida drivers license.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks.
View Quote
There is no "residency" requirement.

Florida makes no distinction between resident and non-resident.  They issue, what we call the FLCWFL (Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm Licence) to both residents and non residents.  They don't even put your address on the licence.  If you move you just change your address online (which is required by statute).

The only difference is that non-residents have to submit fingerprints for renewals and residents do not.

There are some other issues with persons carrying with a license from a state other than their state of residence, but that has nothing to do specifically with the Florida licence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top