Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2021 10:48:12 AM EDT
Washington Free Beacon reporter Stephen Gutowski is looking to speak with people who have tried going through the process of getting a NYS pistol license or who decided not to as it was too difficult or costly.

He can be reached via e-mail at [email protected] or telephone at 610-202-3650.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Washington Free Beacon reporter Stephen Gutowski is looking to speak with people who have tried going through the process of getting a NYS pistol license or who decided not to as it was too difficult or costly.

He can be reached via e-mail at [email protected] or telephone at 610-202-3650.
View Quote

@Aardvark

I know you've said you never bothered with getting a permit for these reasons...
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I should give him a call.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What info they looking for? I got denied first try, now have ccp
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
He's writing about the court case and would like to talk with people who have licenses and anyone who was denied or didn't bother to start the process.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah yes, as I noted I never started the process because of costs and other BS here in Nassau County. First, the fee was raised to $200 every five years courtesy of our REPUBLICAN legislature and County Executive back in 2000 (this does not include the cost of the initial fingerprinting). The claim was that it is so expensive for the License Bureau staff to do the administrative work that they need higher fees. Mind you, they do not use low(er) cost clerical staff (low/lower is a relative term around here). They use expensive NCPD officers to do the administrative work. So yes, it is very expensive to run the Nassau County licensing bureau because your average NCPD officer is now making around $150K/year and these guys are just doing paperwork fulltime. Then of course there are the four references. I have references but most are Progressive Democrat's (we have many other common interests that do not involve firearms) and I really do not want them knowing my "business". Finally, there was (no longer in effect) the requirement to go down to Mineola every year to have your weapon inspected. Used to hear stories of the "accidental" discharges from "unloaded" weapons in the "fishbowl"

Suffolk is a bit better but I am not a resident (only work in the county). $25 fee but of course no "Shall Issue". Also the need to travel out to SCPD headquarters in Yaphank is a real pain for those on the western edge of the county. Granted you can get on Sunrise Highway and head out but I have only done the trip once and it is long. Not sure who handles licensing on the east end (local PD's?) - if SCPD, that is a trip!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top