Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 1:15:26 AM EDT
Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts on the 2020 presidential election and the certification of the Electoral College vote. It is good to hear from you.

Many Americans are concerned about the integrity of the 2020 election. I too share the belief that allegations of irregularities and fraud need to be investigated –– especially at a time when trust in our institutions is near an all-time low. We need to make sure that every legal vote cast is counted and we must have the ability to verify the ballots. Congress has a role in examining the concerns that have arisen and should support states’ efforts to address the security of our elections. The Senate will continue to focus attention on this issue moving forward, and I support the efforts of my colleague Senator Tim Scott (R-SC) who has introduced legislation, of which I am a cosponsor, to establish a commission to study the integrity of the 2020 election. We must ensure that all Americans have faith in our elections.

Under the Constitution, however, Congress does not have the legal authority to change the outcome of the presidential election. These principles are enshrined in the Constitution to ensure the American people, not the party in control of Congress, have the power to choose their president. Conservatives have long opposed federalizing our elections and the Constitution is clear that the authority to conduct them is granted to the states. We are blessed that Arkansas has consistently carried out elections in a fair, efficient and transparent manner. In our system, states select their electors, disputes are handled by the courts and Congress’s only role in the process is counting the lawfully certified results. I have consistently supported the confirmation of President Trump’s judges because they adhere to the Constitution and the law as written. Senators are bound by the Constitution as well. I’ve sworn an oath to uphold these very principles and cannot in good conscience support efforts that purposefully or inadvertently undermine them.  

Like many Arkansans, I am disappointed by the results of the 2020 presidential election. I worked closely with President Trump to advance policies that achieve our shared goals, and I am very proud of what we have been able to accomplish over the past four years. I campaigned for the President, voted for him and supported his right to pursue legal challenges. Not one of the lawsuits filed found evidence of widespread fraud or irregularities that would have changed the outcome of the election. Similarly, not a single state’s outcome changed as a result of requested recounts. In addition, objecting to certified electoral votes submitted by the states would have had no impact on the result of the election.

The events that transpired in Washington on January 6, 2021, during the fulfillment of this important constitutional duty, were not only shocking and unlawful, but represent a dark moment in our country’s history that we must reckon with in the days to come. The Constitution gives every American the right to peaceably assemble and protest. It does not condone or provide for opportunities to sow chaos or provoke insurrection. Sadly, many of the demonstrators in the nation’s capital that day failed to live up to this obligation, and an alarming number willfully participated in an attack on the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to thwart the constitutional responsibilities of Congress. The perpetrators of this despicable attack should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

Congress, however, was not intimidated. We reconvened, and performed our prescribed constitutional duty to certified the vote of the Electoral College. Amid the mayhem, there were countless acts of heroism and compassion on behalf of law enforcement, first responders, Members of Congress, our support staff and others. As we always do in times of uncertainty and trouble, Americans helped each other, prayed for one another and demonstrated that what united our ancestors over two centuries ago can still bring us together today. We cannot erode the ideals that generations of Americans have fought to protect simply because we do not like the outcome of the election. We owe it to them and to future generations to uphold the values and principles that have made the United States the great nation it is.

Again, thank you for contacting me to share your views. Please visit www.boozman.senate.gov to sign up for my e-newsletter, request assistance with a federal agency, or learn more about my efforts on behalf of the people of Arkansas. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

John Boozman
U.S. Senator
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Considerable better than the response I got from French Hill, but still admonishing and dishonest.  The statement "Not one of the lawsuits filed found evidence of widespread fraud" is patently false.  I didn't realize that all of those suits had completed the trial phase.  Refusing to hear any evidence or arguments is not the same as not finding any.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considerable better than the response I got from French Hill, but still admonishing and dishonest.  The statement "Not one of the lawsuits filed found evidence of widespread fraud" is patently false.  I didn't realize that all of those suits had completed the trial phase.  Refusing to hear any evidence or arguments is not the same as not finding any.
View Quote

Pretty much my reply back ending in I will support your primary opponent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top