Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2023 11:30:40 AM EDT
Moskowitz proposes federal law to set minimum age of 25 to buy semiautomatic firearms, including AR-15-style rifles

U.S. Rep. Jared Moskowitz, D-Parkland, has introduced legislation to prohibit sale of semiautomatic firearms to people under age 25. (Carline Jean/South Florida Sun Sentinel)

U.S. Rep. Jared Moskowitz has introduced federal legislation raising the minimum age to buy semiautomatic firearms.

Under the legislation, someone under age 25 couldn't buy a range of weapons.

The prohibition would encompass semiautomatic rifles   including "all AK types," such as the AK47, and "all AR types," such as the AR-15   and semiautomatic pistols and shotguns.

Moskowitz was instrumental in passage of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, which raised the age to purchase a rifle from 18 to 21, created a statewide waiting period for long-gun sales and made it easier for law enforcement to seize weapons from people suspected of being dangerous.

An attempt to reverse a key element of the law — Florida’s increase in the age to buy a long gun — failed in the state Legislature this year, something Moskowitz celebrated. “The FL bill to lower the age to 18 to buy a gun in Florida is dead!” Moskowitz wrote last week on Twitter.

The proposed federal legislation, which was introduced late Tuesday, does not yet have co-sponsors. It faces long odds of passage. Almost all proposed limits on guns fail in Congress; and the Republicans who took control of the House this year are particularly opposed to such restrictions.

Opponents of restrictions on guns often cite the Second Amendment to the Constitution as a prohibition on limitations. Moskowitz is calling his proposed law the “Protecting the Second Amendment through Responsible Gun Ownership Act.”

Representatives from Gun Owners of America said Moskowitz’s proposal is unconstitutional, would be overturned by the courts and there are effective ways to stop those who would harm others.

“Americans’ Second Amendment rights are not second-class rights subject to the whims of politicians, and this legislation would grossly infringe on the right to keep and bear arms. Imagine the outrage if this Congressman instead introduced a bill to raise the voting age to 25,” Aidan Johnston, the organization’s director of federal affairs, said via email. “Instead of flouting the Constitution and his oath of office, Mr. Moskowitz should work to harden soft targets and deter violent criminals by reducing barriers to carrying for self-defense.”

Luis Valdes, the Florida state director of Gun Owners of America, called it a “blatant assault on the Second Amendment” and “a slap in the face to the Congressman’s constituents, who simply want to exercise their right to self-defense how they see fit. But, under this dystopian bill, if someone hasn’t reached 25 yet, they simply would be out of luck.”

The NRA media relations office didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment made midday Wednesday.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuckers just won't stop...
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually I'd suggest a couple of those wrist bands around his neck !
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck that guy and everyone that thinks like him.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

They just keep getting worse and more stupid
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

south florida democrats... plague upon Florida they are
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
south florida democrats... plague upon Florida they are
View Quote

Yep,,, hope all is well with you, we need to plan a get together this summer and burn some powder, have some drink, and grill some meat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
definitely!  Are you still on nights?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
definitely!  Are you still on nights?
View Quote

Yep.

Back to days July-Sept.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Geezus... who dresses that guy?  

He needs a bow tie and a couple more of those ghey-ass wrist bands.
View Quote

We know it is not his mommy.

It is his handlers.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this guy a transplant or homegrown?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this guy a transplant or homegrown?
View Quote
It doesn't matter, I've dealt with enough anti-gun assholes that are born here and imported.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell the Dumbass that 18/19/20 year old's are getting their rights back to buy pistols in district court.

You job it to understand the law of the land and not put in place new laws that violate the constitution!

Please do tell us what district elected this Dumbass...

ETA Ok - I see where he is from Parkland - when the schools  and SO's failed us....and I guess we can say the Legislators have as well....

Red
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps someday Florida Democrats will mass exodus to New York.  Wouldn't they be happier living with likeminded idiots?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy wrist bands Batman!  lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Early life checks out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Could he put more bracelets on?
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep,,, hope all is well with you, we need to plan a get together this summer and burn some powder, have some drink, and grill some meat.
View Quote

My number hasn’t changed. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My number hasn’t changed. Just sayin.
View Quote

Wife keeps volunteering me for projects at my son's house...

I still need to get that damn toilet replaced in the hunt camp, the replacements has been sitting in my yard for months lol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I still need to get that damn toilet replaced in the hunt camp, the replacements has been sitting in my yard for months lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My number hasn't changed. Just sayin.

So, you just have outdoor outhouses without the outhouse!
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
More and more I think about it, I need to start running for a elected position.  Unfortunately, my job wont let me do that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I would bet that he is just fine with genital mutilation though. Maybe a bill should be introduced requiring that age of consent to be 25 also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top