Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 8:01:17 PM EDT
Permit is due to renew in Nov and I was just wondering what is all required these days. I thought I read somewhere that all you need to do now is take your current permit to the SO and that is good enough, no need to take a class anymore?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
30 days before to 30 days after expiration is a renewal IIRC. Take old permit, fill out application and pay the fee. After 30 days it's a new permit and you need to show proof of training again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Shack nailed it. No training requirement for a renewal. Polk and Dallas county are both completely online, so you don't even need to go into the Sheriff's.

Big one, have you moved since Covid? Make sure the address is current on your ID, because that it where they will mail the new permit. Permits are now standardized across all counties, no more photos, they all look the same now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Same address as always so I'm GTG. I didn't know that the new permits don't have pictures on them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Same address as always so I'm GTG. I didn't know that the new permits don't have pictures on them.
View Quote

Correct, no photo.

Check your local office, due to Covid our Sheriff's office is closed to public. I renewed mine via email for docs and phone for payment.

I'm in Linn Co.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Any issue if I go in a few weeks early to renew?  In other words prior to being within 30 days of expiration?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any issue if I go in a few weeks early to renew?  In other words prior to being within 30 days of expiration?
View Quote

They might tell you to come back in the 30 day window, might accept your paperwork but not process until within the window, might just do it on the spot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok another question...

Local sheriff isn't allowing anyone to walk in.  Process must be done through mail and has the form on their website to print and mail.  The address they list is Iowa department of public safety in Des Moines.  I'm in Mahaska county and right after the listed Des Moines address it specifically says application must be filed with the Sheriff in your county.  So it seems obvious that I would take it to my local Sheriff under normal circumstances.  So go ahead and mail it to my local Sheriff's office instead of the address they list for Iowa department of public safety?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok another question...

Local sheriff isn't allowing anyone to walk in.  Process must be done through mail and has the form on their website to print and mail.  The address they list is Iowa department of public safety in Des Moines.  I'm in Mahaska county and right after the listed Des Moines address it specifically says application must be filed with the Sheriff in your county.  So it seems obvious that I would take it to my local Sheriff under normal circumstances.  So go ahead and mail it to my local Sheriff's office instead of the address they list for Iowa department of public safety?
View Quote

I'd send it to the address they have listed on their website. DPS should be just fine. Call your sheriff's office to verify.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my new permit in the mail today 6 days from applying for it. Noticed one thing though, the old permit had the NTN number on it for when you use it to buy a gun but the new permit doesn't have that. Are these new permits still used instead of calling NICS for in state purchases?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got my new permit in the mail today 6 days from applying for it. Noticed one thing though, the old permit had the NTN number on it for when you use it to buy a gun but the new permit doesn't have that. Are these new permits still used instead of calling NICS for in state purchases?
View Quote

The permit number is the NTN number and yes the new permits are used.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top