Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2022 7:23:16 PM EDT
Went to pick up a gun and when I whipped put my ccw, I realized it expired in 11/21.  Do I need to redo the class?  I never got any heads up/  renewal letter, so imagine my surprise when I saw it was expired.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You have up to 60 days past the expiration to get your application in, cutting it close.
Here’s a link to the application, good luck!

And as a side note, DPS no longer sends out renewal notifications, it’s up to the CCW holder to remember.

CCW renewal app
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have up to 60 days past the expiration to get your application in, cutting it close.

And as a side note, DPS no longer sends out renewal notifications, it’s up to the CCW holder to remember.

CCW renewal app
View Quote

Dang it, it expired 11/4/21.   So do I just need to take an online class now or how do I go about getting another one? I don't think the actual shooting part is needed anymore.  I guess I'm off to FB and see who's local.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Explain to whoever you go to what happened, they might give you an abbreviated course since you’ve already been through it.
Failing that, there are a few instructors on here that might be able to point you in the right direction, i think theres at least one that does the courses.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Explain to whoever you go to what happened, they might give you an abbreviated course since you’ve already been through it.
Failing that, there are a few instructors on here that might be able to point you in the right direction, i think theres at least one that does the courses.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  I've had my permit since 2005ish?  Guess I got to use to the renewal letter.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I've renewed 3 times, never received a renewal letter/packet in the mail...I just know when it's expiring, since it's printed on the card.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've renewed 3 times, never received a renewal letter/packet in the mail...I just know when it's expiring, since it's printed on the card.
View Quote

I guess I need to buy more guns...or just be more observant
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I guess I need to buy more guns...or just be more observant
View Quote

Just do what I did...put a reminder in your calendar app for 60 days before it expires.  That is the window you have to renew it, or 60 days after.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Laws have been updated since your last course. I'd recommend Independencetraining.com of course for a refresher, just took one with my son,, and was surprised what changed from the 2000s.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Your expired permit satisfies your training requirement. Just attach it to your application. Had the same thing happen to me. Just attached my expired CCW and got a new one. Did have to submit fingerprints though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Your expired permit satisfies your training requirement. Just attach it to your application. Had the same thing happen to me. Just attached my expired CCW and got a new one. Did have to submit fingerprints though.
View Quote

This. No need for a new course. Let mine lapse a couple years and did the above. Also needed prints
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

By "attached my expired ccw" do you mean the actual hard copy card or a photo copy?  I'll send out the form tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The actual card.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
What location/place are you guys getting fingerprints done at?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Laws have been updated since your last course. I'd recommend Independencetraining.com of course for a refresher, just took one with my son,, and was surprised what changed from the 2000s.
View Quote
My class was early in the permitting and pretty much, every sentence was "you are going to get sued".  This was what DPS wanted to indoctrinate course takers with, and even sent in undercovers to insure they were doing exactly this.

There was no meaningful content.

Good advice here, I should probably take a course.  There are courses that give you permits in more than one state, and that changes the reciprocity map, or at least it used to.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
IIRC, AZ law says you can use any example of prior training including your expired permit, to renew/get a new permit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

CCW renewal app
View Quote

Thank you for mentioning this; I'm up for renewal in 6 months so I put a reminder on the calendar.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
For my renewal, just for grins, I am sending in the certificate from Kings Personal Protection I received for my very first renewal class in 1998.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My NM licence expired last month.  Does AZ have Constitutional Carry, or have I become a hooligan?
Not that I care.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My NM licence expired last month.  Does AZ have Constitutional Carry, or have I become a hooligan?
Not that I care.
View Quote

Enjoy that constitutional carry sir!
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not that I care.
View Quote

Welcome to Free AZ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top