Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2022 7:34:42 AM EDT

When will this madness end?

West Point Expected to Remove Portrait of an American Hero

Politics as Usual

Was not the AMERICAN, COL Robert E. Lee, U.S. Army, appointed as the Superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point on 1 SEPT 1852? A post he dutifully discharged until 1855.

In 1852, Lee was appointed Superintendent of the Military Academy at West Point. He was reluctant to enter what he called a "snake pit," but the War Department insisted and he obeyed. His wife occasionally came to visit. During his three years at West Point, Brevet Colonel Robert E. Lee improved the buildings and courses and spent much time with the cadets. Lee's oldest son, George Washington Custis Lee, attended West Point during his tenure. Custis Lee graduated in 1854, first in his class.

Does not the West Point campus feature a Lee Gate, Lee Road, Lee Hall, and Lee Barracks? So too with various Lee portraits on prominent display in the Cadet Mess, the Supe’s quarters, and elsewhere? Also as for the Robert E. Lee Memorial Award for excellence in mathematics, since Lee was an engineer?

Are all of these to be "erased" and placed down the memory hole?

Robert E. Lee

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You're surprised by this?  This is the same military now that sends out daily tweets about pride month and all that other wokiest crap....
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Leftists and the perpetually offended will never stop.

Those people are destroying Virginia (a state rich in history).

Look at what they've also done to Ohio.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/10/10/christopher-columbus-statue-arrived-ohio-capital-oct-10-1955/5990825001/

It's all so tiresome.

ETA - NEVER give in to any of their demands.  Not one descriptive word, statue, or flag.

Give them an inch, and they'll take a country.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
On the surface, the useful idiots support cancelling figures like this because they have been told it’s a necessary part of repudiating slavery (or insert some other Bad Thing) and achieving some sort of justice somehow.

But in reality what they don’t realize is these figures are actually being cancelled for entirely different  reasons which have nothing at all to do with slavery.

Lee is not being canceled because he was an “evil white man who fought to defend slavery” or some other shameful or debatable issue.  Nope.  His actual sin (in the eyes of the architects of these movements to cancel and erase certain figures from history) is that he was not a blind follower.  He was loyal to Virginia instead of to the central government and to them THAT is dangerous.  Any independent thinking and any loyalty to any entity besides the central authority is a threat to tyrants and the kind of sentiment exhibited by Lee must be shamed and erased.  In the minds of our ruling class decision makers, this type of sentiment cannot be allowed to flourish amongst society let alone amongst those attending West Point.

Same with many other examples, such as TJ.  He’s not being cancelled because of his 600 slaves, Sally Hemings, etc he’s being cancelled due to the GOOD principles he promoted via the Declaration of Independence and other ideas he espoused… something, something Tree of Liberty… something else about “Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.”

It is for those “dangerous” ideas that figures like these are being demonized and erased and removed from the minds of future generations.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my adopted state.

I was moved down here as a six year old kid.

Virginia, and it's role in the Civil War fascinated me,
and helped me adjust to a new life.

Fuck these woke trouble makers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I suspect it is in a hall of past leaders of the Academy, making the removal especially egregious. Even if you think staying true to VA isn't admirable, his career up to that point was decidedly respectable.

I don't like the removal of historic references in general - but many of them I understand. The history of monuments in this country is in fact pretty dark. During the Jim Crow South we littered the place with monuments to folks who were on the side of the Confederacy. The bases named after southern generals weren't all named in the 1800s. The data on those things is pretty clear.

BUT this is insanity. Nothing has happened that makes his time in the USMA leadership any less worthy of celebration than any other old dead people.

-shooter

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of people (young and old) are ignorant of our country's history
and wouldn't deem these historical figures "bad" unless some woke
revisionist wanker told them so.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top