Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2021 7:46:44 PM EDT
Just stumbled across this video of SRV playing at the '87 Volunteer Jam. Brings back memories, plus the usual SRV mastery.

Stevie Ray Vaughan Live @ Starwood Amph. Nashville, TN 09/06/1987
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw quite a few concerts at Starwood.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saw quite a few concerts at Starwood.
View Quote

Same here. I even had a summer job cleaning up after the concerts. My buddy and I got so many free sealed pints out of the confiscations barrels it wasn't even funny.

I miss that place.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. It was great
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was there!
View Quote

Killer, SRV was my guitar role model. Def Leppard Hysteria tour was my first concert there, around that time, but I missed this one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Starwood/Amsouth was the best!  I took my wife to see Ted Nugent there. She has vowed never to attend another concert that he’s at.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know why they closed?
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know why they closed?
View Quote

It was all about the Benjamin’s. If I recall “it was because of lack of revenue”.  Personally, I feel it was a corporate/ political move to make mo’ money mo’ money.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was all about the Benjamin’s. If I recall “it was because of lack of revenue”.  Personally, I feel it was a corporate/ political move to make mo’ money mo’ money.
View Quote

Shit, they raped you on parking, raped you on beer, raped you on "handling fee" when they sold tickets. I'm surprised they let people piss for free, IMO.

Shitty artists booking the venue would always result in shitty ticket sales. Not the public's fault.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought I had heard they got some great offer for the property from a development group but I asked rabbi google and this is what I found:

On February 13, 2007, Live Nation announced its intention to close Starwood Amphitheatre and cancel the 2007 season in anticipation of a potential sale.[5]

Entertainment industry insiders blame the closing on Starwood's age and size, calling it a "first-generation" outdoor venue that was only about two-thirds the size of the ones being built at the time of its closing and one that lacked now-standard amenities for both patrons and performers, and therefore not able to attract the top-tier artists who demand larger, more modern performance venues.[6]

Starwood grossed only $4.6 million in ticket sales during the 2006 season and was one of four underperforming venues that Live Nation put up for sale following the season.[7] Only two events were scheduled for 2007 before the announcement to close the venue: The Charlie Daniels Band's annual Volunteer Jam, and a Brad Paisley/Kellie Pickler show.

The last show at Starwood featured Aerosmith and Mötley Crüe, two bands who had played there many times over the years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I was there in 2004. I don't think I was there before then. It was a neat place.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw Heart and Little Feat there.  Good times.

Damn I'm old.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Before it all closed down I got a pretty extensive tour of the place for business purposes.
Prior to that I had always thought of the backstage areas as these roomy comfortable lounge areas where artists would hang out until showtime.  I've seen a few which were exactly that.
Not Starwood.
There was a small fenced in outdoor area and the dressing room areas which were tiny.  My small walk-in closet may be bigger than these were.   Most bands probably hated playing there.  I can imagine acts fighting over the small spaces when the Ozzfest type shows came to town.

That being said I've enjoyed many shows there, the first being Metallica on the Justice tour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top