Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2021 7:24:00 PM EDT
I have an opportunity to move to Reno or the close surrounding area. I would be coming from Florida. Curious about the area. Obviously I'm into guns, have some NFA items, and any info on gun laws, and availability of public land for camping/off roading/shooting.

The main thing I would like is the outdoor life on weekends. I like to camp and hike etc. I'm envisioning 4 day weekends to Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone and Vegas and anything else within a 12 hr drive. I want to be able to get off work Friday and go camp out and offroad with a SxS or atv until Sunday night lol.

can I find what I'm looking for out there?

single. No kids. Some night life and some outdoor life.

good areas. Bad areas. Lol. Is it all bad?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm down in Vegas, but Nevada is full of what you're looking. Like all over.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The only problem is that the state has been overrun by mentally ill leftists.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Every single thing you mentioned is Reno, OP.

Yellowstone may be a challenge to get to in 12 hours driving alone.  Only thing I can see problematic with your needs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every single thing you mentioned is Reno, OP.

Yellowstone may be a challenge to get to in 12 hours driving alone.  Only thing I can see problematic with your needs.
View Quote

I hear ya. Really anything in a days drive is fine.  I've spent most my life in the southeast and have done a lot around here. Would love to have a new change of scenery, and base of operations where I can just pick a direction and drive, make the most of my weekends etc. see things and places that are new to me. Things are stagnant where I am now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]
No way are you getting four day weekends to Yosemite.  Reservations are required and take a year to get if you’re lucky. Yellowstone is a 12 hour drive away. Literally everything you want to do is the most attractive thing to everyone here, so don’t think you can just go for a weekend. The only option I think you’d have is to drive to Tuolumne Meadows and hike. Getting to see half dome is going to be a challenge just because there isn’t much parking in the camp for day trips, and it’s taken really early.

Nevada is massive.  Seriously. Vegas is 8 hours so unless you’re flying there I wouldn’t plan on weekend trips there.

I wouldn’t move here from Florida. It’s 100% the opposite. Reno is just California transplants. Vegas is tourists and Southern California people in town to have the cliche Vegas weekend.

If you want to take a side by side out for a weekend I’d suggest living in Fallon. No where in Reno are you going to be able to go camp for a weekend and ride Friday to Sunday. Moon rocks has way too many people to call it enjoyable and last time I was out there some guy just started firing his AR off at camp. Obviously not from here because guns aren’t allowed to be shot there. Especially on a busy weekend.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hear ya. Really anything in a days drive is fine.  I've spent most my life in the southeast and have done a lot around here. Would love to have a new change of scenery, and base of operations where I can just pick a direction and drive, make the most of my weekends etc. see things and places that are new to me. Things are stagnant where I am now.
View Quote
I read your list of wants and I think you'll be satisfied.

What you didn't ask about are the things you ought to know.  

We have no humidity, and thus no hurricanes which may make you happy.  We are however presently breathing terrible CA wildfire smoke in AQI 200 range, which is like living inside a pellet smoker.  This began a few years ago and has actually been worse than it is now.  California burns every year and will continue to do so because climate change is real.  That's our worst trouble now.

Homes and property here may be quite a lot more costly than you're used to, but I have no idea what kind of financial means you have.  Take a look though.

We can have long winters.  Some are colder and longer than the winter just before, so it's a crapshoot.  Expect snow and dealing with snow and ice.  I still enjoy it.  It's not Michigan bad, but the Sierra range is no joke.  

Mud/Terrain tires have no business being in Nevada:  There's no mud to speak of  since the ground is as hard as a kiln-fired ceramic plate.  Those big cleats on wide off-road tires designed for mud are a huge liability on ice and can potentially get you killed.  You want tall thin "pizza cutter" profile AT tires with zillions of sipes for your winter driving once the previous days snowfall melts and refreezes to ice overnight dusted with a few more inches of snow.  It's like a marzipan layer cake of snow and ice out on the roads and the first time you brake and slide and poop yourself you'll have an education about what's right and wrong. Tall tires, heavy vehicle, small sipes contact patch on the road surface to gather up snow (since snow sticks to snow) is the recipe. I've lost count of big lifted trucks with CA plates and wide M/T cleated tires upside down in a roadside ditch.  Conversely, I've seen Subaru 4WD turbo crossover wagons with a Nokian Hakkapelitta tires throwing bitchin' rooster tails of snow like Finland winter rally racing driving right past that overturned honcho brodozer from CA.  Just go buy a Toyota 4Runner or Tacoma like everyone else here.  You'll see.

Hottest I've even seen it here is 107F for a period of four straight days.  I grew up where it is far hotter than Reno but at least you won't experience the kind of miserable heat where its 92F outside at 89% humidity like the whole Eastern USA seaboard.  

Spring and Fall are both two weeks long if we're not counting "Fool's Spring" and "Fool's Fall".  Wintertime is first seen as early as the last week of September and it's hit or miss if kids trick or treat on Halloween in costumes or snow suits.  Or, we may not see real snow until January.  Who knows?

You'll be living at near 5000' in Reno which will be a significant change from your coastal living in FL. It may take you a year to acclimate depending on your age.  Hope you don't suffer from diagnosed COPD.  

To the West and North, there is the Sierra range that has 11k-13k peaks.  Turn around 180-degrees to the East and it looks like the surface of Mars all the way to the Rockies two states away.  Reno is therefore a high altitude snowy mountainous desert.  Looks quite a lot like Afghanistan, honestly.  In the middle of the state, it's like the Israeli desert.

We have a growing tech industry and enjoy better than good medical hospitals and orthopedic surgeons.  Sadly, we're also turning into Portland since a lot of their last decent people are migrating here because it's a hellhole for them there.  Scumwads are following along with them, but at least we're not Denver yet.

The southern part of Nevada is a different animal altogether.  My mental picture of the dividing line between North and South NV is when I see the first Joshua trees south of Tonopah, but many people say it's Clark County versus everywhere else in NV.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for taking the time to give a thorough reply. A lot of great info in there which helps me understand what I don't know to ask.
Everything so far sounds like what I'm looking for. Opposite of Florida, some different terrain in all directions, new challenges and experiences.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Look into Spring Creek and Elko.

I forgot about the elevation difference. Oh and it doesn’t snow a lot. Mostly icy for your morning commute. Mud tires aren’t going to get you killed on ice. Suburu is the new ‘get out of my way’ brand in town. I use to hear ‘4wd doesn’t mean 4 wheel stop’ and a bunch of hate for trucks. Seems like awd means all wheel stop so they can go 80 on ice and somehow they stop just fine. Until they don’t.

Do NOT live north of 395/80. At all. Ice/snow stops the freeway just as bad as a car crash at 5:30am. One way in. One way out. Everyone has to beat the driver next to them and someone ends up stopping the freeway on your drive to work, or home. 30 minute drive becomes 2 hours some times.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
This map is pretty accurate
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everyone has to beat the driver next to them and someone ends up stopping the freeway on your drive to work, or home. 30 minute drive becomes 2 hours some times.
View Quote

I thought that was only a narcissistic asshole Vegas driver thing. Glad to see it’s universal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]
How's Fernley?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How's Fernley?
View Quote

It earned the nickname Ferntucky for a reason. Used to be a cheap alternative to Reno/Sparks, which I guess it still is relatively. If you're going to work at Tesla it's not a bad choice. The 80 is busy with Tesla/USA-Parkway traffic now so the commute can suck.

Personally I'd choose Carson City over Fernley, but Carson has it's good and bad spots as well. The entire region has been impacted for the worse by the mass immigration of Californians so it's difficult to recommend any general place over another.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How's Fernley?
View Quote

Everyone who can’t afford, or refuses to pay, Reno prices life’s there.
No smog. No vehicle inspections. Lower sales tax. One high school. No airport. Maybe a movie theater. Your grocery store is WalMart from all I know and they might have a small hospital. It’s growing population wise, but they’re not building infrastructure to support it.

I think they were the first county to try and go around the Governor’s mandates for Covid 19. Didn’t last long.

Oh they have a motorcycle track and a giant cement factory and two or three big truck stops off the highway. The East end seems to be newer homes. I recall someone telling me a developer built homes in front of a dam and everyone knew it was a bad idea but I don’t recall hearing about a flood happening. Plenty of new homes being built with little to no yard. You’re going to need to drive to setup your own shooting location since I don’t think the city operates a range.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Northern Nevada is going through a pretty big shakeup currently. Fernley was cool then it all but died after the 08 crash. It's slowly been growing back and I would imagine that pace has quickened considerably with all the growth at USA Parkway. I agree that I would probably choose Carson over Fernley with Minden/Gardnerville/etc all part of it but my commute really holds me in the general Reno area. Definitely check out real estate so you understand what you're getting into. I like Sparks which is on the edge of the Reno area but it's getting more crowded day by day. New construction in the area is off the chart but prices haven't started dropping.

If you can be anywhere and don't need to be in one of the bigger city areas the surrounding areas are much easier to find bigger lots conducive to trucks and trailers for toys and even a shop. We have a huge variety of stuff in this area and it really surprised me when I moved down.

Do you have work/income figured out because the different areas definitely vary a bit for work?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#16]
How is the Washoe Lake area? Is the wind that bad?  Also looks like there are off road trails to get to Virginia City.

It the water supply good in that area?
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How is the Washoe Lake area? Is the wind that bad?  Also looks like there are off road trails to get to Virginia City.

It the water supply good in that area?
View Quote

Yes. The wind is that bad. You’d be better off living in Dayton if you don’t want to pay Carson Coty prices and still want to drive to Carson City/Reno for anything.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]
The wind here in general really surprised me. Washoe Valley wind is a whole other animal for sure.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Northern Nevada is going through a pretty big shakeup currently. Fernley was cool then it all but died after the 08 crash. It's slowly been growing back and I would imagine that pace has quickened considerably with all the growth at USA Parkway. I agree that I would probably choose Carson over Fernley with Minden/Gardnerville/etc all part of it but my commute really holds me in the general Reno area. Definitely check out real estate so you understand what you're getting into. I like Sparks which is on the edge of the Reno area but it's getting more crowded day by day. New construction in the area is off the chart but prices haven't started dropping.

If you can be anywhere and don't need to be in one of the bigger city areas the surrounding areas are much easier to find bigger lots conducive to trucks and trailers for toys and even a shop. We have a huge variety of stuff in this area and it really surprised me when I moved down.

Do you have work/income figured out because the different areas definitely vary a bit for work?
View Quote

Yea the work situation is covered, I would be moving there as a lateral transfer, same position but trying to get myself somewhere that I can enjoy my weekends more with outdoor activities.

It's a field type job so I wouldn't really have an office or anywhere I need to be at a set time. Typically I can work admin on the laptop until after rush hour, then head where I'm going. So commute time isn't a huge factor for me.

I really like the idea of a bigger lot for toys and trailers, and room for a shop would kick ass. My house in Florida has about 6 feet between me and the neighbors window lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably worth a trip to check out the area. You could easily drive around the whole area in a day and in a weekend could spend a bit of time. It's really going to depend on what you want as far as variety of stores and restaurants. Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, Moundhouse, Virginia City, Dayton, Fernley probably more I forgot. If you've got the cash there are a ton of nice places in Reno/Sparks but most of what fit what I described are $500,000 and up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Probably worth a trip to check out the area. You could easily drive around the whole area in a day and in a weekend could spend a bit of time. It's really going to depend on what you want as far as variety of stores and restaurants. Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, Moundhouse, Virginia City, Dayton, Fernley probably more I forgot. If you've got the cash there are a ton of nice places in Reno/Sparks but most of what fit what I described are $500,000 and up.
View Quote

Concurred, most small properties in Minden/Gardnerville are running around $500k anymore. If you want acreage, you're looking at $750k to $2M+. Smith Valley and Yerington are cheaper, but the prices are climbing throughout the whole Greater Reno-Tahoe area.

Keep in mind that the state is slowly turning from a swing state into part of the Blue Wall like Colorado and that I suspect taxes will have to be hiked at some point to pay for the new social programs that will accompany this shift.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 5:54:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Homes are expensive

This is a similar house to my brother in laws. Side yard access and a great sized back yard for dogs or parking toys on the side. His appraised for $515k and this is probably 45 minutes to an hour drive one way to USA parkway. Every local I’ve met for the past 6 years has been running their mouth about how the area can’t sustain these prices. There are no signs the mortgage on homes in Reno/Sparks/Spanish Springs are coming down. Carson City and Fernley are feeling this impact and their prices have been going up just the same.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Homes are expensive

This is a similar house to my brother in laws. Side yard access and a great sized back yard for dogs or parking toys on the side. His appraised for $515k and this is probably 45 minutes to an hour drive one way to USA parkway. Every local I’ve met for the past 6 years has been running their mouth about how the area can’t sustain these prices. There are no signs the mortgage on homes in Reno/Sparks/Spanish Springs are coming down. Carson City and Fernley are feeling this impact and their prices have been going up just the same.
View Quote

My buddy has a house in that same neighborhood he bought in 09 for $130,000. A year after he bought it his neighbors house which was pretty similar sold for $230,000. On the really expensive stuff there has been some ups and downs but it's definitely been a steady rise. The ones that really get me are the areas surrounding us have gotten nuts. I see some houses that just sold in Cold Springs for $500k that were half that five years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My buddy has a house in that same neighborhood he bought in 09 for $130,000. A year after he bought it his neighbors house which was pretty similar sold for $230,000. On the really expensive stuff there has been some ups and downs but it's definitely been a steady rise. The ones that really get me are the areas surrounding us have gotten nuts. I see some houses that just sold in Cold Springs for $500k that were half that five years ago.
View Quote

There has been a lot of development out there and Cold Springs was always where the ‘why rent when you can own?’ mentality went. Heck I think my buddy bought a house for $800/month out there 11 years ago and he knew it was BFE. Pretty sure he earned a few speeding tickets getting home.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I looked at quite a few places in Cold Springs but almost everything on the market was in a HOA which I didn't want. Only the older stuff is non HOA. Saw a double wide on a half acre list for $350,000 not too long ago. Not sure if it sold but it wouldn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I looked at quite a few places in Cold Springs but almost everything on the market was in a HOA which I didn't want. Only the older stuff is non HOA. Saw a double wide on a half acre list for $350,000 not too long ago. Not sure if it sold but it wouldn't surprise me.
View Quote

There is a reason they are HOAs. I’ve seen the neighborhoods not in an HOA and they’re the prime example people use to say they would live in an HOA.  I think they’re legit HOAs too. Like...”we have a board who sends you letters for having too many cars on the side of your house” instead of a “Landscape Management” people just LABEL as an HOA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have an opportunity to move to Reno or the close surrounding area. I would be coming from Florida. Curious about the area. Obviously I'm into guns, have some NFA items, and any info on gun laws, and availability of public land for camping/off roading/shooting.

The main thing I would like is the outdoor life on weekends. I like to camp and hike etc. I'm envisioning 4 day weekends to Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone and Vegas and anything else within a 12 hr drive. I want to be able to get off work Friday and go camp out and offroad with a SxS or atv until Sunday night lol.

can I find what I'm looking for out there?

single. No kids. Some night life and some outdoor life.

good areas. Bad areas. Lol. Is it all bad?
View Quote

I have been a long time NV resident, I escaped  the gulag of jerry brown . Just got out of the military and Reno has changed alot, so much that I am  considering getting out, my retirement is enough but  not enough for a 3k mortgage. overpopulated with assholes from CA spreading   poisonous ideologies, thus ruining reno. Go where your money goes further, TX, OK, TN.  ( no offense to my native NVs guys)  reality sucks....
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have been a long time NV resident, I escaped  the gulag of jerry brown . Just got out of the military and Reno has changed alot, so much that I am  considering getting out, my retirement is enough but  not enough for a 3k mortgage. overpopulated with assholes from CA spreading   poisonous ideologies, thus ruining reno. Go where your money goes further, TX, OK, TN.  ( no offense to my native NVs guys)  reality sucks....
View Quote

The three states you mentioned as alternatives have been complaining about California natives jacking up the cost of living w(lie ruining the politics for decades. Next you’ll suggest Montana, idaho or Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quick update on my situation, made it to Reno. Currently looking at some new builds in Sparks off of pyramid by Las Palomas, but those are six months to 12 months out for completion. Nice looking new area with a lot of stores.

I also saw a couple places up in Cold Springs, that allow RV parking on the side of the house, that's a big plus for me if I get a toy hauler, what do you guys think of Cold Springs, this is a new construction area up there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Where is Los Palomas google isn't helpin me? Pyramid traffic has gotten pretty bad but that's all relative and depending on where you're at in Florida you might be used to it. Cold Springs probably has more area around it accessible to offroad stuff but the north end of Pyramid has some areas too. Cold springs doesn't have much of anything in the way of stores other than gas station markets.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where is Los Palomas google isn't helpin me? Pyramid traffic has gotten pretty bad but that's all relative and depending on where you're at in Florida you might be used to it. Cold Springs probably has more area around it accessible to offroad stuff but the north end of Pyramid has some areas too. Cold springs doesn't have much of anything in the way of stores other than gas station markets.
View Quote
Sorry brother. La posada is the cross street. Turns into eagle canyon rd. There's a builder called Silverado out there and toll brothers also.

I drove up pyramid yesterday. Saw a big ass public range. Looked fun. Lake was huge.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]
That makes sense there's a ton new construction up there. Friend bought a house on the north end of the neighborhood above eagle canyon drive that goes to calle de la plata I think it is. Strict HOA but very clean and most of the people up there that I interacted with seem alright. Lot of people drive their SxS's and the like through the neighborhoods to the trails around there. I don't know what your work schedule is but you should drive pyramid a few times during whatever your commute times would be to see how you like it. It was nice having a few shops restaurants and a grocery store right there. I didn't buy up there because the traffic and HOA but there are days I regret it as my house doesn't accommodate my toys at all.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quick update on my situation, made it to Reno. Currently looking at some new builds in Sparks off of pyramid by Las Palomas, but those are six months to 12 months out for completion. Nice looking new area with a lot of stores.

I also saw a couple places up in Cold Springs, that allow RV parking on the side of the house, that's a big plus for me if I get a toy hauler, what do you guys think of Cold Springs, this is a new construction area up there.
View Quote

I think you should drive 395 North to cold springs tomorrow at 7:30am before you decide to move there. Literally going to make you decide if the price and side yard is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think you should drive 395 North to cold springs tomorrow at 7:30am before you decide to move there. Literally going to make you decide if the price and side yard is worth it.
View Quote
I drove up there yesterday (Saturday) around 9am from Sparks. Aside from the snow and bad visibility it wasn't bad. What am I missing ?  Help me out lol.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I drove up there yesterday (Saturday) around 9am from Sparks. Aside from the snow and bad visibility it wasn't bad. What am I missing ?  Help me out lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traffic is substantially worse during the work rushes. Like I said it's all relative but 9am traffic christmas eve is not a good representation.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Traffic is substantially worse during the work rushes. Like I said it's all relative but 9am traffic christmas eve is not a good representation.
View Quote
Roger that. He confused me with saying driving up there at 730. I should do a test run driving back into Reno from there at 730.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
LOL! It doesnt seem like anybody in this thread has lived in the area more than 5 years. Washoe county is burnt especially if you have kids. The school board is all left wing whackos. That being said: Clod Springs is the only place in Washoe I would live(if I didnt have kids). Access to the National Forest is 2 miles away and the open desert borders the neighborhood. Recreation is world class ,and you dont have to trailer your toys to access it.We just sold our house in CS because we have kids. If liberals bother you then just cross Washoe off the list,its bad now.The drive to CS is not that bad but you have to get on the road by 5.55.  6.05 and your fucked. Its gets better about 8.30.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:20:37 AM EDT
[#38]
The traffic commuting from cold springs is toxic.  Washoe is blue now, but has nice schools in the nicer areas.   I've lived in Washoe for 39 years...

Best thing about Nevada is the endless public land.  Endless outdoor activities.

Bad thing is that the wages do not support buying a house at this time.  The kalifornians have overpriced the housing market.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The traffic commuting from cold springs is toxic.  Washoe is blue now, but has nice schools in the nicer areas.   I've lived in Washoe for 39 years...

Best thing about Nevada is the endless public land.  Endless outdoor activities.

Bad thing is that the wages do not support buying a house at this time.  The kalifornians have overpriced the housing market.
View Quote

I guess our opinions differ some,the commute was worth it to me to not have to live in Reno proper. IMO Reno has become a shithole.The best thing is the endless public land,the only thing I will miss.But no all the Washoe schools are woke,you can ask the equity/diversity department. Yes they have their own department.And you are paying their salaries.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm liking the idea of cold Springs, mainly for the recreation, I literally want somewhere I can open my garage and pull out a side-by-side and head off into public land, that would save me from buying a truck and a trailer, that's a big deal for me

Wanted to mention too, that my job is somewhat hybrid where I can work remote from home, or go into an office later in the day so traffic and commute, isn't a huge factor at the moment, and as long as there's a Walmart within 20 minutes, I'm good to go on the shopping side, I can usually hit shopping stuff up during the day if I'm in town for work

no kids at this time

The other location I was looking at off pyramid and La Posada/eagle canyon, around Calle De La Plata, I spoke to a couple people out there and it seems like the state gave some of the BLM land back to the Indian reservation up there, On the BLM maps, it shows a tiny BLM strip from that neighborhood going around a dirt airstrip called Spanish Springs airport, not sure what kind of direct access I can get driving a side by side out of my garage, unless I get a truck and tow it up to moon rocks which isn't far, but it would mean buying a truck and and a trailer. I was hoping I could get to moon rocks from that neighborhood
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Pretty sure you can get to moon rocks from there but I'm not positive. The advantage to a trailer is that there are lots of places around here you could tow your rig to. Keep in mind it's not legal to drive the SxS on the road even in the neighborhood so if you have Karen in your HOA you might get in trouble. As of now I know a lot of people do it but that doesn't mean it will always fly. That area is blowing up so I'm not sure how it is currently.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pretty sure you can get to moon rocks from there but I'm not positive. The advantage to a trailer is that there are lots of places around here you could tow your rig to. Keep in mind it's not legal to drive the SxS on the road even in the neighborhood so if you have Karen in your HOA you might get in trouble. As of now I know a lot of people do it but that doesn't mean it will always fly. That area is blowing up so I'm not sure how it is currently.
View Quote
Cold Springs is not too bad for Karens. People drive their SxS,dirt bikes,quads on the roads ALL THE TIME
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cold Springs is not too bad for Karens. People drive their SxS,dirt bikes,quads on the roads ALL THE TIME
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good. Up in Spanish Springs where OP is looking we got called on for not having current reg sticker on my truck, garbage can not behind fence, grass too long, etc. It annoyed my buddy enough that he's going to move his fence towards the front of his house so there's even less for the HOA to scrutinize and he gets a bigger backyard which is perfect for the barn he is planning to put up.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The three states you mentioned as alternatives have been complaining about California natives jacking up the cost of living w(lie ruining the politics for decades. Next you’ll suggest Montana, idaho or Colorado.
View Quote

Thats what everyone without the balls to pick up and leave says.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Welcome to Reno. One thought if you’re looking at Cold Springs. The City of Reno already approved a development on the west side of 395 across the highway from the current developments. So if you’re looking at buying, expect a few thousand more homes out there in the not distant future.

Spanish Springs is nice, I’ve been out here 6 years but I’m on the east side of Calle de la Plata. Area is nice, traffic is getting worse but with your schedule it doesn’t sound bad for you. Costco is only 15-20 mins. Winco going in soon so even more convenient shopping.

Yes, Washoe County is blue politically but not by a hell of a lot. Nevada goes the way Vegas goes. Anywhere outside Washoe and Clark county is bright red.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Welcome to Reno. One thought if you’re looking at Cold Springs. The City of Reno already approved a development on the west side of 395 across the highway from the current developments. So if you’re looking at buying, expect a few thousand more homes out there in the not distant future.

Spanish Springs is nice, I’ve been out here 6 years but I’m on the east side of Calle de la Plata. Area is nice, traffic is getting worse but with your schedule it doesn’t sound bad for you. Costco is only 15-20 mins. Winco going in soon so even more convenient shopping.

Yes, Washoe County is blue politically but not by a hell of a lot. Nevada goes the way Vegas goes. Anywhere outside Washoe and Clark county is bright red.
View Quote

Aaaaand your wrong. If Washoe went blue the whole state would,but thats not going to happen.Ever.How long have you been out of CA?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Aaaaand your wrong. If Washoe went blue the whole state would,but thats not going to happen.Ever.How long have you been out of CA?
View Quote

I thought Washoe was blue?

ETA
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Alaskanfire has my back with data…which part of “not by a hell of a lot” got past your sharp eye. Perhaps if you lost the “everything bad is from California” attitude and understand Pro-2A people come from there, but I’ll entertain your answer….25 years ago, prior to Calif… Alaska and prior to that New England area.
How about you?

Edit….let me also help, “you’re” not “your”.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@Alaskanfire has my back with data…which part of “not by a hell of a lot” got past your sharp eye. Perhaps if you lost the “everything bad is from California” attitude and understand Pro-2A people come from there, but I’ll entertain your answer….25 years ago, prior to Calif… Alaska and prior to that New England area.
How about you?

Edit….let me also help, “you’re” not “your”.
View Quote

Yes, I meant if Washoe went Red.Sorry if I resent California "conservatives" for ruining a state I used to love.If you want to look at the previous elections for governor and draw a line graph,tell me what the next election may look like.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yes, I meant if Washoe went Red.Sorry if I resent California "conservatives" for ruining a state I used to love.If you want to look at the previous elections for governor and draw a line graph,[b][tell me what the next election may look like./b]
View Quote

Current Governor wins re-election.
Washoe Cunty goes even more blue
Nevada continues to blame its losing Republican Party on California and not for a failure to attract new conservatives.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top