Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2021 8:25:51 PM EDT
Employer wants me to move to Pittsburgh office, same job different location. Offering to cover some relocation expenses, to be negotiated.

Any areas to avoid renting or buying a house? office is downtown.

Any 2A restrictions specific to Pittsburgh? Any decent indoor ranges?

Best liquor stores?

Any Polish markets or stores?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#1]
PA has a state controlled liquor store system. The single good point would be that the price is the same (usually too damn high) at every store. No need to shop.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont live in City proper. Try to live outside of Allegheny county to avoid the taxes.  But that means you will commute and it can be a huge pain in the ass (tunnels and bridges).

The city tries to fuck with 2A stuff when it can, and it will surely get worse.

Butler, Beaver, and Washington Counties are all GTG.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
S&D Deli in the Strip District is THE best Polish market in town.

fucking awesome
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#5]
What state would you be moving from OP?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
New York, Thunderdome….errr Rochester
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
IMO the best indoor range in the area is the Keystone Shooting Center. It is just north of the city, right off 79. Great selection of firearms for sale, a bunch of guns to rent, and very modern shooting bays with electronic target control. They let you use your own ammo, even steel cased, just no penetrator rounds. Very friendly staff every time I've been in there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO the best indoor range in the area is the Keystone Shooting Center. It is just north of the city, right off 79. Great selection of firearms for sale, a bunch of guns to rent, and very modern shooting bays with electronic target control. They let you use your own ammo, even steel cased, just no penetrator rounds. Very friendly staff every time I've been in there.
View Quote

I don't use any indoor ranges, but if I did I'd probably go there some. That seems like a decent place; they tend to have items of interest in their inventory anyway.

Little more in the sticks, but Fenelton Firearms has an indoor range now too. That's to the west of Kittanning.

https://feneltonfirearms.com/indoor-shooting-range/
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Join a club. Pitcairn Monroeville sportsmans club is one of the larger in the area. Nice set up and just about every style of shooting you'd want to do.

Avoid Braddock, Homewood, Wilkinsburg.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm located around Harrisburg, the State Capital.
A few years ago I was part of a team that installed alarms at several Big Lot stores in Pittsburg.

The hotel we stayed at was very near an indoor range.  I wish I could remember which one.  I swore that if we ever had another contract in Pittsburg I'd bring one of suppressed pistols and shoot a box or two at That Range.

We usually ate Lunch at a Burgatory.  Unusually good burger joint.

The rivers were interesting to say the least.  As we had to go to a couple a day we'd cross from the Left Bank to the Right Bank, a few miles down the road and back to the Left Bank.  As I didn't get to drive I didn't get it either.

There's a stretch of  Interstate that is open Only during Rush Hours

The last time I saw so many hills in a town was up north in Schuylkill County.  (Don't worry, the Y is silent )  Pottsville to be exact.

Having romped around Philly I was somewhat take aback at the lack of Really Tall buildings.  I may be in error here, But I do believe there are taller buildings in Downtown Harrisburg than in Pittsburg.

You are going to Love all the Pittsburg tunnels and bridges.

Anything else from the Pittsburg Brethren
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Would definitely recommend North.
Less obstacles getting into downtown, i.e. no tunnels.
Then it depends on how long a commute you want.
Southern Butler County around Cranberry is pretty nice, easy access via I79 & I279
Northern Allegheny County communities are't too bad
I live at the north border of the city itself due to residency requirement before I retired
There is another indoor range due to open in November in McCandless Twp
The former occupants had issues and closed down about a year ago
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the input, office is actually not downtown, but in the southern suburbs. Wife and I will be spending a long weekend in the area for an initial assessment. Have been in Pittsburgh a few times but literally know nothing of the surround area.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, if in south suburbs, would recommend south.
Bridges and tunnels add up for an 'interesting' commute
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Should have zero issues finding your:
Jezynowka
peroiges
kielbasa
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the input, office is actually not downtown, but in the southern suburbs. Wife and I will be spending a long weekend in the area for an initial assessment. Have been in Pittsburgh a few times but literally know nothing of the surround area.
View Quote

I’m in the south suburbs (south hills).

For a place to shoot Clairton sportsmen’s club is a pretty nice gun club.

Your alcohol question was answered but yeah those laws are stupid.

Traffic can be a real bitch here.

If you’ve never had a chance to try out night vision, I know of a place and can help drain your wallet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are located in the southern burbs you probably want to be looking for a place to live in Washington county, maybe Greene, or even the lower part of Westmoreland.  For tax reasons.

There are other  polish delis in what  else but the Polish Hill section
It’s pretty much just a couple blocks and there are a few small delis there.

Why not find a place with a few acres in Washington county, and no need to worry about a range
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, maybe things have improved somewhat with Allegheny county, but the sheriff and local government for a long time were not 2A friendly, as would be expected from democrats
Surrounding counties for most part no problems, in all respects

Except for some of the more upscale neighborhoods in Allegheny county, if you must live in a more suburban or city environment, I would avoid it altogether and seek one of the smaller towns or more rural areas surrounding.  There are plenty of areas in Allegheny county you will want to avoid entirely.   There are some bad area in the city of Washington, as with any larger city and town.  And you wouldn’t need to be that far away from all the conveniences you want, unless you go way down in Greene County.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the nicest indoor facilities I have seen.  

The only downside is the cost, it's incredibly expensive when you consider the abundance of sportsman's clubs and gun ranges in the area where you're only paying $100.00 a year or so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#19]
North Hills McCandless is pretty good.

Reasonable commute and good schools.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#20]
My son went to school in Pittsburgh and we were thinking about escaping from NY to there if he got a job and stayed there. It seemed like a nice place. Try Pamala’s for breakfast.  I love their corned beef hash and pancakes.  If you want to live in the city itself we liked the Squirrel Hill area.  Ymmv
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Avoid Baby Showers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top