Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2021 6:51:54 AM EDT
I have an uncle that wants to give me one of his pistols he can’t shoot anymore.  He’s from Florida (so it’s not “registered” ), he just wants to hand it to me and call it good.  

I can’t see any information on how to handle this.   Can I just take it to my FFL and have him fill out an RI-60 or something?

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Technically he'll need to transfer that to you through an FFL given that he isn't a Michigan resident. The law says you can not acquire (gift or not) a gun from an out of state person without having that gun transfered through an FFL. So stay legal,  transfer through an FFL and that will get you your RI-60 too.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Technically he'll need to transfer that to you through an FFL given that he isn't a Michigan resident. The law says you can not acquire (gift or not) a gun from an out of state person without having that gun transfered through an FFL. So stay legal,  transfer through an FFL and that will get you your RI-60 too.

View Quote

<This. Go to a local FFL and make arrangements to have it shipped to their business. Obtain a copy of their FFL or have them fax/email one to your uncle so he can show it to UPS when he ships the firearm. Once the handgun arrives you need to obtain a pistol purchase permit if you don't have a CPL.

The gun shop (FFL holder) will perform the NICS background check and process the pistol purchase permit paperwork. You will need to send one copy to the law enforcement agency that issued your permit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top