Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2020 6:36:50 PM EDT
I was looking thru the DEEP website to see when the tog season closes (4/30) and saw thisAttachment Attached File

Has anyone ever seen a redfish/red drum in CT?? Just thought it was weird. I have never heard of them being around here.

@SurfAnimal. You live close enough.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Every summer, a few oddballs get caught. A couple years back, there was a fairly large redfish "reportedly" caught at Weekapaug. I say reportedly, because there was a rumor that it looked like it had been previously frozen. There has been a  tarpon caught in Newport, and numerous Cobia caught locally as well.
As far as redfish in Ct? Its uncommon, but possible.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!  Would you look at that!   Pretty cool. Thanks alot.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Paulie that's nuts.  I caught one in the summertime in Pamlico Bay, NC.

Weirdest thing I"ve seen in LIS is mantis shrimp and an electric ray (eastern sound).

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Paulie that's nuts.  I caught one in the summertime in Pamlico Bay, NC.

Weirdest thing I"ve seen in LIS is mantis shrimp and an electric ray (eastern sound).

-Ben
View Quote
 I think the mantis is a regular, electric ray is pretty awesome!  I've been diggin thru the "what's in the belly" thread on SOL and a few mantis shrimp pics from the NE are in there.  CC canal comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure I saw a conger eel in Milford Harbor.   That or American Eels get 6-7ft.  I didn't get an actual measurement but it was Freakin Huge!    
I was standing on the jetty across from Gulf Beach,  just about daybreak.  It came from the flat grassy part of the sound in front of the condos.  Went right into the jetty below my feet.  Water was only a few feet deep.  But that thing was 3-4in wide and went in like nothing!  Year or two ago.  Also caught a juvie sturgeon there 15ish years ago.

I love the ocean!  I wish I didn't get so sea sick. I'd get a boat.  Used to be great on boats. Broke both my eardrums in the mid oughts and that was that.   Now I blow chunks watchin YouTube videos of rough seas.

Seen tons of awesome stuff out there. Ocean Sunfish on the way to BI, Sub doing an ER Blow in the Keys, leaping eagle ray being chased by a HUGE tiger shark (keys)  

Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
And for the state to issue a regulation???

We don't even have a reg for Atlantic Mackerel. FWIW.
Just seems odd.

Unless it's a federal thing, maybe?? IDK.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 I think the mantis is a regular, electric ray is pretty awesome!  I've been diggin thru the "what's in the belly" thread on SOL and a few mantis shrimp pics from the NE are in there.  CC canal comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure I saw a conger eel in Milford Harbor.   That or American Eels get 6-7ft.  I didn't get an actual measurement but it was Freakin Huge!    
I was standing on the jetty across from Gulf Beach,  just about daybreak.  It came from the flat grassy part of the sound in front of the condos.  Went right into the jetty below my feet.  Water was only a few feet deep.  But that thing was 3-4in wide and went in like nothing!  Year or two ago.  Also caught a juvie sturgeon there 15ish years ago.

I love the ocean!  I wish I didn't get so sea sick. I'd get a boat.  Used to be great on boats. Broke both my eardrums in the mid oughts and that was that.   Now I blow chunks watchin YouTube videos of rough seas.

Seen tons of awesome stuff out there. Ocean Sunfish on the way to BI, Sub doing an ER Blow in the Keys, leaping eagle ray being chased by a HUGE tiger shark (keys)  

View Quote

Years ago my buddy Hans and I were fishing down at the Sore Thumb (Great South Bay / Fire Island inlet, Long Island).

He caught a 9 foot eel on a chunk.  

Likely would have been one for the record books - but there is no IGFA category for eels.  lol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top