Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2022 3:16:59 PM EDT
There's a thread in GD with a few AZ people saying how they prefer green dots to red even in the desert landscape. Does anyone have pictures of the comparison between them? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have pictures for you but I definitely prefer green over red in the desert.
While I can still see red well, I changed out my ACOG's for green.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the green dots over any for any place. I have both a red and green dot on my EDC pistols and I greatly prefer the green. Does not matter bright day or evening my
eyes see the green much clearer. I had always had red dots before trying the green and now will only purchase a green optic.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My preference is only slight, but I find that I can run a red dot at a lower power setting in the desert, making for a crisper, smaller dot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My preference is only slight, but I find that I can run a red dot at a lower power setting in the desert, making for a crisper, smaller dot.
View Quote

A crisper and smaller dot of either color works best for me at range, but for anything up close i find the red dot at 3 to 5 moa and bright as hell is best.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done Gunsite in the summers that were bright as and without a cloud in the sky. Red is king and has to be dimmed during the day with everyone of my Aimpoints, especially on ACOG's that need tape on the TA31's fiber optics. Green blends in the further the distance and some of these courses requiring 300 yard plus shots, no bueno in the desert and at night can ruin unaided natural night vision. To give an idea, one guy in our class had to switch from green to red on his Holo chinesium while doing the scrambler. To get some idea on this, the scrambler uses earth toned AR500 targets. Now imagine bad people using actual camouflage along with cover.

But for those sticking with greens, well being colorblind or having an astigmatism does exist. Some don't even know that they're one or the other, even both. Or they do and just won't admit to it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had several red dots out here, ranging from EOTech to Bushnell TRS-25, the low to the lowest end of the spectrum according to the richies. I have had exactly one green dot, a SIG MSR. I can see my red dots clearly, (well, when the EOTech actually worked), and easily in bright desert sunshine, well below max, but turned all the way up I could barely see the green dot. I gave it away to a young lady who apparently likes it quite a bit.

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer green but I also have astigmatism so that's something to keep in mind. Most of my shooting with it has been at Rio so YRMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top