Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2020 1:01:03 PM EDT

Article

PHOENIX (AP) — Recreational shooting is being temporarily prohibited in three national forests in Arizona in a move that officials say is aimed at reducing the wildfire threat.

The Southwestern Region of the U.S. Forest Service ordered the prohibitions in the Coronado, Prescott and Tonto national forests to begin at 5 p.m. Wednesday and to continue until July 31 or until rescinded.

Officials said the three forests are experiencing an increase in drying trends with large amounts of grass that could be fuel for fires resulting from above-average winter moisture.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no drying.  Everything is super green in Prescott right now.  All of my neighborhood has been mowing their property like crazy due to how fast everything is growing.  This is just a case of more restrictions placed in the public by unelected bureaucrats citing COVID as a reason to say fuck you to the people.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RHR_12:
There is no drying.  Everything is super green in Prescott right now.  All of my neighborhood has been mowing their property like crazy due to how fast everything is growing.  This is just a case of more restrictions placed in the public by unelected bureaucrats citing COVID as a reason to say fuck you to the people.
View Quote

That's Prescott.  It's been over 100 for a couple weeks in PHX now.  With the rain/snow we got the last year or two there is indeed increased growth which will make for a higher fire risk.  I'm out hiking or camping almost every weekend and I've seen it firsthand.  I know it's not an exaggeration.  There has already been one fire started.  It wouldn't take much to get a fire going in some of the popular shooting spots around the phx valley especially since people have no common sense.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Shooting restrictions occur every summer.
Nothing to get excited about.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By superdrag67:

That's Prescott.  It's been over 100 for a couple weeks in PHX now.  With the rain/snow we got the last year or two there is indeed increased growth which will make for a higher fire risk.  I'm out hiking or camping almost every weekend and I've seen it firsthand.  I know it's not an exaggeration.  There has already been one fire started.  It wouldn't take much to get a fire going in some of the popular shooting spots around the phx valley especially since people have no common sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By superdrag67:
There is no drying.  Everything is super green in Prescott right now.  All of my neighborhood has been mowing their property like crazy due to how fast everything is growing.  This is just a case of more restrictions placed in the public by unelected bureaucrats citing COVID as a reason to say fuck you to the people.

That's Prescott.  It's been over 100 for a couple weeks in PHX now.  With the rain/snow we got the last year or two there is indeed increased growth which will make for a higher fire risk.  I'm out hiking or camping almost every weekend and I've seen it firsthand.  I know it's not an exaggeration.  There has already been one fire started.  It wouldn't take much to get a fire going in some of the popular shooting spots around the phx valley especially since people have no common sense.

But Prescott is one of the forests that is affected.  They closed it using the excuse of “but what if the fire crews are affected by COVID19”.  Fact is, people are tired of being cooped up, and the recent restrictions up here are an excuse to try to keep people out of the forests since they’ve been flooded with campers recently.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By azcheesehead:
Shooting restrictions occur every summer.
Nothing to get excited about.
View Quote

But that's not fun. We'd rather complain that the sky is falling and the jackboots are on the march.

Yeah, it's a nothinburger. For those that don't believe it, hop out into the bush and see how dry it really is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lew:

But that's not fun. We'd rather complain that the sky is falling and the jackboots are on the march.

Yeah, it's a nothinburger. For those that don't believe it, hop out into the bush and see how dry it really is.
View All Quotes

But that's not fun. We'd rather complain that the sky is falling and the jackboots are on the march.

Yeah, it's a nothinburger. For those that don't believe it, hop out into the bush and see how dry it really is.

I’m not saying that there aren’t restrictions every year.  My issue is that they are extending the no shooting season using COVID as cover.  The statements used in Prescott both reference COVID and their fire crews.  When’s the last time a campfire ban started in April?  

The fact is that a non elected bureaucrat made the arbitrary decision to start the season early off of no real scientific basis.  If there’s such a risk of fire on Mingus Mountain, why is the fire risk sign on the second lowest in Jerome?

The fact is that simple target shooting (I’m not talking about tannerite or tracers or other idiocy) will not start a fire, even when shooting steel.  We accepted years ago that they can do this and we have let them.  If we ignore the fact they keep pushing, just watch, eventually we will lose the forests to being able to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]

I’m not saying that there aren’t restrictions every year.  My issue is that they are extending the no shooting season using COVID as cover.  The statements used in Prescott both reference COVID and their fire crews.  When’s the last time a campfire ban started in April?  

The fact is that a non elected bureaucrat made the arbitrary decision to start the season early off of no real scientific basis.  If there’s such a risk of fire on Mingus Mountain, why is the fire risk sign on the second lowest in Jerome?

The fact is that simple target shooting (I’m not talking about tannerite or tracers or other idiocy) will not start a fire, even when shooting steel.  We accepted years ago that they can do this and we have let them.  If we ignore the fact they keep pushing, just watch, eventually we will lose the forests to being able to shoot at all.
View All Quotes

I’m not saying that there aren’t restrictions every year.  My issue is that they are extending the no shooting season using COVID as cover.  The statements used in Prescott both reference COVID and their fire crews.  When’s the last time a campfire ban started in April?  

The fact is that a non elected bureaucrat made the arbitrary decision to start the season early off of no real scientific basis.  If there’s such a risk of fire on Mingus Mountain, why is the fire risk sign on the second lowest in Jerome?

The fact is that simple target shooting (I’m not talking about tannerite or tracers or other idiocy) will not start a fire, even when shooting steel.  We accepted years ago that they can do this and we have let them.  If we ignore the fact they keep pushing, just watch, eventually we will lose the forests to being able to shoot at all.

Well you are wrong. Target shooting can and does start fires.
The national Forests get closed about this time every year. This year its a slight bit early, but we also had a mild, wet winter and then extreme heat and low humidity. We've already had one fire out at Queen Valley this year.

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

Well you are wrong. Target shooting can and does start fires. 
The national Forests get closed about this time every year. This year its a slight bit early, but we also had a mild, wet winter and then extreme heat and low humidity. We've already had one fire out at Queen Valley this year.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

Well you are wrong. Target shooting can and does start fires. 
The national Forests get closed about this time every year. This year its a slight bit early, but we also had a mild, wet winter and then extreme heat and low humidity. We've already had one fire out at Queen Valley this year.

Point taken.  However, Prescott is not Queen Creek.  I work closely with one of the fire inspectors through work.  Even they agreed that the PNF early closure was not justified.  It is green here, and the fire hazard board in the forest reflects the same.  My point is that closing early citing COVID as the reason is BS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I won't argue about the reasoning of a shutdown this early... but I WILL state that I have personally seen Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo with the "mild steel jacket" that was so prevelant about 15 years ago start a fire... because I saw the spark on the berm and the dried out bush at the base of the berm go up in flames from the round I shot! I stomped the fire out and loaded up, thinking "man was I wrong about normal ammo starting a fire."
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#10]
They close the entire state down for shooting due to fire restrictions every year folks, around this time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Bad timing ,just got a Beretta px4 storm 40 cal and want to shoot it this weekend .Where can I shoot Sunday ???
I couldn't resist sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore had them NIB with 2 mags for $329.99 .
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure what started it but they are fighting two fires in the east valley right now..
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#13]
The best long term solution is join a club pay dues and never have to worry about fire restrictions.
My club has been open to members through this entire “crisis” though they did put matches where 60-70 shooters congregate on hold for March April and first 1/2 of May.
When I first moved to AZ one of the local shops said just go out to the forest land, but with annual fire restrictions joining a club allows me to shoot year round with no issues. Just about every town has a club within a reasonable drive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shooting restrictions occur every summer.
Nothing to get excited about.
View Quote

yep

looks like we might get a little rain in Tucson today, but it's been dry for a long time
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#15]
It's like it's peoples first year in Arizona. We do this every year......
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#16]
So my question is this. Some guys I know say they have private land that’s ok to shoot on.

Is that true?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AIWB:
So my question is this. Some guys I know say they have private land that’s ok to shoot on. 

Is that true?
View Quote

The order extends to National Forest land, not private land. Private land obviously needs to comply with Azlaw for safe and legal shooting.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By captain127:
The best long term solution is join a club pay dues and never have to worry about fire restrictions.
My club has been open to members through this entire “crisis” though they did put matches where 60-70 shooters congregate on hold for March April and first 1/2 of May.
When I first moved to AZ one of the local shops said just go out to the forest land, but with annual fire restrictions joining a club allows me to shoot year round with no issues. Just about every town has a club within a reasonable drive.
View Quote

This is the worst long term solution
and you should be ashamed for saying it.  They are trying to build clubs and get people to join as a reason to shut down all shooting on public land.  Public lands should be open for all the public to enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

There have been whole years with campfire bans due to how dry it was.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dace:

This is the worst long term solution
 and you should be ashamed for saying it.  They are trying to build clubs and get people to join as a reason to shut down all shooting on public land.  Public lands should be open for all the public to enjoy.
View Quote

Yup. I love more gun clubs. Get more people into the sport hopefully. But the scumbags always, always have an agenda.

I’ll never go back to a normal range after experiencing shooting in the desert. Dealing with RO’s (who I’m not banging on per say, I realize they deal with people all day), the people, not being able to move and shoot, no shooting at night, et cetera

I’ve heard you can do some of that stuff at some ranges but I’m guessing it’s not as easy as going out to an empty spot and doing what you want.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Who has started a fire before?    

Like 20 years ago.

CA desert.. like Barstow area.. barren, right??     WRONG!

One single solitary tracer out of one of my FAL's stuck in the ground past my target and burned out.. a minute later i noticed it was not burned out anymore.  Then it started growing...

Called a cease fire and did the 400 yard sprint to the fire and started kicking sand/dirt on it.. all my friends finally got there and by the time we got it out it had burned about 700sqft of 3-5" dry grass that was growing all over that hillside.

Now im stupid paranoid about fires personally and am very careful about when/where/what I shoot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dace:

This is the worst long term solution
 and you should be ashamed for saying it.  They are trying to build clubs and get people to join as a reason to shut down all shooting on public land.  Public lands should be open for all the public to enjoy.
View Quote

You are totally missing my point, and I am not sure who the “they” are that you refer to.
I am a member of a private club fully operated and funded privately with no association with fish and game, the state or anyone else.
For people that want to shoot without concern for fire restrictions joining a club is a great answer NOT as a replacement for shooting on public land but to supplement that resource.
Plus nothing gets your skills up like going to a club shooting matches and competing and socializing with like minded shooters.
I don’t see anything I should be ashamed of for suggesting joining a club.
Perhaps you can elaborate why being a member of a shooting club is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Delete
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
A chunk of a Reddington pass is burned. Started right at a shooting spot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#25]
BLM land is closed until further notice.  Saw signs out the other day at a popular BLM shooting spot near Tucson.  I'm going to have to find some weekday matches to shoot now that all of my desert spots are closed.  I work weekends so most matches are no good for me and punching paper from a static firing line gets old fast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top