Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you live your entire life in fantasy land, or is it limited to imagining a world without taxes and the ATF?

View Quote

I live my life with the same level of intellectual integrity and philosophical purity as our founding Fathers.  

You get what you accept.  

Only accept what is right
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Do you live your entire life in fantasy land, or is it limited to imagining a world without taxes and the ATF?

View Quote

Do you live your entire life in fantasy land, or is it limited to imagining a world with accountable politicians that don't piss our money away while getting rich?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I live my life with the same level of intellectual integrity and philosophical purity as our founding Fathers.  

You get what you accept.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You get what you accept.  

Got it. Fantasy.

Quoted:

Do you live your entire life in fantasy land, or is it limited to imagining a world with accountable politicians that don't piss our money away while getting rich?

Quite the contrary.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
No personal attacks. CoC #6.  67Firebird
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a bit harsh. A simple correction of a misunderstanding would have probably been sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, now we lost a useful piece of information.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't partake in weed but let freedom ring vote yes and keep the tax money in MO.
That being said the Black market for weed isn't going away either.

Driving impaired isn't going to skyrocket just like constitutional carry didn't increased shootings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Things are going to get interesting. There has been a lawsuit filed to remove recreational marijuana from the ballot.

https://www.komu.com/news/elections/lawsuit-filed-to-knock-recreational-pot-off-missouri-ballot/article_d4e39e80-712f-5929-8dca-0fdfa1b67003.html

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP)   An anti-drug group on Monday announced support for a lawsuit to take a recreational marijuana legalization proposal off Missouri's November ballot.

Jefferson City resident Joy Sweeney filed the lawsuit Friday with support from the national anti-drug group Protect Our Kids.

The suit alleged that marijuana supporters didn't gather enough valid voter signatures to put the proposal to a vote. The lawsuit also claimed the ballot measure deals with too many policies in violation of the state constitution.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pro freedom, I will be voting yes - if it stays on the ballot.

I don't partake.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm pro freedom, I will be voting yes - if it stays on the ballot.

I don't partake.
View Quote

I feel the same as you except I don't want a bunch of stoner deadbeats living off of my taxes.  

Do away with Federal give aways and I agree.  Moving the assistance and accountability to the local level [and preferably non-governmental] would be the best thing we could do for the country.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I feel the same as you except I don't want a bunch of stoner deadbeats living off of my taxes.  

Do away with Federal give aways and I agree.  Moving the assistance and accountability to the local level [and preferably non-governmental] would be the best thing we could do for the country.
View Quote

This isn’t going to increase the number of “stoner dead beats.” The dead beats are smoking right now illegally, or have found a doctor willing to give them a card.  This law essentially prevents those “on the weekend,” or “ one or two nights a week” smokers (kinda like beer and bourbon folks) from risking criminal charges and dealing with shady motherfuckers while partaking.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This isn’t going to increase the number of “stoner dead beats.” The dead beats are smoking right now illegally, or have found a doctor willing to give them a card.  This law essentially prevents those “on the weekend,” or “ one or two nights a week” smokers (kinda like beer and bourbon folks) from risking criminal charges and dealing with shady motherfuckers while partaking.
View Quote

True.  Still, encouraging irresponsible behavior will not improve society or help the irresponsible.  

We, as a country, need to go the other way.  

There has always been drunks/stoners, thieves, the lazy, all the other irresponsible behaviors.  Endorsing that behavior increases it.  

We are not going to eliminate poor behavior/human nature:  let's not encourage it or subsidize it.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True.  Still, encouraging irresponsible behavior will not improve society or help the irresponsible.  

There has always been drunks/stoners, thieves, the lazy, all the other irresponsible behaviors.  Endorsing that behavior increases it.  

We are not going to eliminate poor behavior/human nature:  let's not encourage it or subsidize it.  
View Quote

I guess we should repeal the 21st amendment?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor does making it illegal stop it's ill effects, as the last 60 years of policy and results show.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not does making it illegal stop it's ill effects, as the last 60 years of policy and results show.
View Quote

If anything, legalizing and regulating it probably makes it HARDER for underage users to get it. Maybe someday we’ll see kids standing outside of pot stores trying to talk adults into buying them weed instead of just buying it from some kid in school.

Why should an otherwise hardworking and capable employee fear getting fired because he lights up a joint on weekends when his coworker can drink alcohol with no fear of reprisals?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I get what the last 3 posts are presenting.  

That doesn't validate encouraging less personal responsibility.  

Your arguments basically boil down to:  'Jimmy jumped off the cliff so it should be legal for me to do so also'.  

We cannot fix stupid and we cannot fix immaturity.... that doesn't mean we should encourage.  

Stupid and immaturity has and will always be with us:  let's try and minimize it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I get what the last 3 posts are presenting.  

That doesn't validate encouraging less personal responsibility.  

Your arguments basically boil down to:  'Jimmy jumped off the cliff so it should be legal for me to do so also'.  . . .
View Quote

No. The argument boils down to: "While some behaviors may not represent great choices for people, they don't rise to a level of trespass on others that the government has any business telling people they can't make those choices."

There is a ancillary argument that says sometimes the consequences to society of attempting to prevent a behavior are more harmful that the consequences of allowing the behavior.

Both are true in this case, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No. The argument boils down to: "While some behaviors may not represent great choices for people, they don't rise to a level of trespass on others that the government has any business telling people they can't make those choices."

There is a ancillary argument that says sometimes the consequences to society of attempting to prevent a behavior are more harmful that the consequences of allowing the behavior.

View Quote

No, the argument boils down to:  'do we begin allowing something that is currently forbidden that is a break even/lose proposition'.  

It isn't going to improve anyone or society and it will hurt some and society as a whole.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, the argument boils down to:  'do we begin allowing something that is currently forbidden that is a break even/lose proposition'.  

It isn't going to improve anyone or society and it will hurt some and society as a whole.
View Quote

Just a few more billion dollars in tax payer money and we are going to win that war on drugs any day now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just a few more billion dollars in tax payer money and we are going to win that war on drugs any day now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only a few more court cases that erode your Constitutional Rights across the board!
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If anything, legalizing and regulating it probably makes it HARDER for underage users to get it. Maybe someday we’ll see kids standing outside of pot stores trying to talk adults into buying them weed instead of just buying it from some kid in school.

Why should an otherwise hardworking and capable employee fear getting fired because he lights up a joint on weekends when his coworker can drink alcohol with no fear of reprisals?
View Quote

Good post and I agree with all of the above.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I am glad to be in the 3rd 3rd of my life, at 67

such foolishness.  

it has been so ... always.  

we are, as we have always been

doomed.  

so much intelligence and so little wisdom

pearls before swines
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. Because forbidding stuff is bad. Freedom is good.

https://www.history.com/news/why-the-u-s-made-marijuana-illegal
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're OK with putting people in prison and fucking their lives with a criminal record for a chemical they choose to put in their body?
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So you're OK with putting people in prison and fucking their lives with a criminal record for a chemical they choose to put in their body?
View Quote

A chemical delivered by a natural plant they can grow in their backyard or on a windowsill and requires no processing beyond drying .  . .
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:25:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

And too many times, people get harsher prison sentences for marijuana than pedophiles get for praying on children.

Personally I am still on the fence about legal recreational marijuana. One it really isn't any worse than alcohol. Yet I also don't want our state to get overran with the wrong people like Colorado did.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yet I also don't want our state to get overran with the wrong people like Colorado did.
View Quote

I can't imagine many liberal people moving here just so they can smoke pot. The politics alone would keep them away. Trump (and mini-Trumps in Jefferson City). Abortion. Racism (or at least a history of racism). Missouri rates near the bottom on virtually any measure that liberals would care about: spending on education, social services, health care, crime. We're one of the LAST places liberals are going to move to. (And that's not even considering the weather.)

I wouldn't worry too much about Missouri becoming the next hot-bed of liberalism.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I don’t have any love for that shit but I do love freedom.

I don’t think a deep red state being the 20th to drop MJ laws is going to draw scumbags like the already liberal shitholes that were first in line. No one is moving due to weed laws anymore.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I love the way people on this forum just know what will happen when weed is legalized here. One of the great things about living in Missouri is we really don't need to guess. Every social change that happens in this country starts on both coasts and filters toward the center (Missouri) later on. Again, I say look at everywhere that weed has been legalized already. They were all promised great things and mass amounts of tax revenues to solve all our funding needs. But the truth is, if you ask people who do not smoke weed, they don't have anything positive to say about it. The only ones who like it are people who smoke weed, people who sell weed, and the democratic politicians that line their pockets from the lobbyists. If you like to smoke weed and you're happy that this will be legal, good for you. But at least have the balls to be honest and just say you want to smoke weed. Don't tell me that it will benefit society or anyone else, because it won't. And don't tell me that it won't lead to more people using weed (including kids), because it will. I know this will pass in November, so this whole discussion is like peeing in the wind. There's too much money changing hands behind the scenes for this to fail. Has legalized gambling made a positive impact or solved the education funding issues in Missouri? Prostitution will be legal here before I die as well, and many of you will be talking about how it's a victimless crime and everyone has the freedom to do whatever with your bodies. Believe what you want. To convince anyone that moral crimes are worth enforcing, you first have to have people that have morals, and they are a dying breed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To convince anyone that moral crimes are worth enforcing, you first have to have people that have morals, and they are a dying breed.
View Quote

So, are you also calling for a return to alcohol prohibition?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why is this always the counter?  Like this country doesn't have a problem with alcohol abuse?
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I'd be OK with that. I drink about six beers in a year these days and wouldn't miss them if I quit completely. I admit I'm jaded because my father and brother both had drinking problems, and I've seen way too many people hurt and killed by alcohol abuse in my work. That being said, my preference would be to quit romanticizing alcohol use and teach our young that they don't need to throw back five or six drinks to have a good time. Instead, they keep making drinks like hard seltzer and lemonade to try and get young people to drink more and start earlier. It's a matter of incrementalism. I believe if weed is normalized, something like ecstasy will come later, then cocaine, then who knows? This is my opinion, but it's based on a lifetime of personal observation and life experience. I know most won't agree with my views and opinions, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid or wrong. It just means I have a different point of view from yours, and I choose to point out that I think there has been a steady decline of what I perceive as "morality" in this country. But what the hell do I know? I still go to church and love my wife of forty one years.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Why is this always the counter?  Like this country doesn't have a problem with alcohol abuse?
View Quote

Because allowing alcohol but forbidding pot is hypocritical and irrational.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#34]
If this does pass, I predict Ozark County, where I live will have a bunch of Weed Shops on the Border of Arkansas. Could be a good investment opportunity but could turn the border area into a shit show with Arkansas Cops harassing everyone heading south.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This country had plenty of issues with alcohol abuse before, during, and after prohibition.

Alcohol and marijuana use is benign for the overwhelming majority of users. Turning those users into criminals is something freedom loving Americans should not tolerate.

FWIW I have a safety sensitive job so no weed for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Arfcom is all about liberty if the topic is guns. Anything else, forget it. Just a bunch of puritanical school marms who want to tell other people how to live.

Never seen a group of people who hate freedom so much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Freedom only works in conjunction with personal responsibility and morality.  

Our culture is heading in the wrong direction on both counts.  

With freedom the risk of suffering from one's own mistakes and poor decisions should also happen.  

Nanny state has taken away the risk and suffering.  Yes, those most likely to missuse drugs are insulated from the consequences and since I'm footing the bill I believe we should not encourage bad behavior.  

Do away with the nanny state then legalize drugs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When I was in my teens GOOD pot had a THC content of 3-5.

NOW it’s in the thirties! Using that argument

Poppies should be O.K., there isn’t near as much work to produce Opium as went into increasing the THC in pot

Do you REALLY think if you “invented” alcohol or tobacco today that you could bring them to market?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A chemical delivered by a natural plant they can grow in their backyard or on a windowsill and requires no processing beyond drying .  . .

When I was in my teens GOOD pot had a THC content of 3-5.

NOW it’s in the thirties! Using that argument

Poppies should be O.K., there isn’t near as much work to produce Opium as went into increasing the THC in pot

Do you REALLY think if you “invented” alcohol or tobacco today that you could bring them to market?

Weak argument about the percentages, most people will just smoke less which is something you should celebrate.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Arfcom is all about liberty if the topic is guns. Anything else, forget it. Just a bunch of puritanical school marms who want to tell other people how to live.

View Quote

If the kind of abuse/misuse that happens with LEGAL alcohol and drugs, happened with guns, then we would see a lot more restrictions and 'freedoms' disappear.  The government and LEO seem to turn a blind eye to drugs and alcohol, but will break it off in you if it's remotely connected to a firearm.  Not fair.  So most LEGAL gun owners, CCWer's, stamp collectors, etc have to conduct themselves in a very moral and law-abiding way in order to keep their freedom.  Because if they 'eff it up, they lose that freedom.  Not the case with drugs and alcohol......4 DWI's and vehicular manslaughter, yet you can still go to the bar and get away with driving a car (maybe not legally, but getting caught driving on a suspended/revoked DL is a slap on the hand compared to a prohibited person getting caught with a gun.)

Case in point with the lax police enforcement on alcohol issue......my town has DUI checkpoints every once in a while.  They're unconstitutional and waste of resources IMHO, but whatever.  Do they put them on the side of town that has all the bars?  NOPE.  They put a dozen cops on the highway on the other side of town, which has a parallel "old highway..." that anybody can just turn off on and bypass the checkpoint.  But they wouldn't dare set them up on the main drag near those 3 bars as that's where a ton of sales tax money comes from in this town.  They maybe get one person on one of these checkpoints a weekend, yet they'd net at least 50 per location if they pulled people over as they left the bar's parking lot.  Money > safety.  That would never happen with guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If the kind of abuse/misuse that happens with LEGAL alcohol and drugs, happened with guns, then we would see a lot more restrictions and 'freedoms' disappear.  The government and LEO seem to turn a blind eye to drugs and alcohol, but will break it off in you if it's remotely connected to a firearm . . .
View Quote

You might want to double check your stats before making that argument too loudly.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Freedom only works in conjunction with personal responsibility and morality . . .
View Quote

Are you saying that's it's immoral to consume marijuana?

If so, what do you base that view on?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If the kind of abuse/misuse that happens with LEGAL alcohol and drugs, happened with guns, then we would see a lot more restrictions and 'freedoms' disappear.  The government and LEO seem to turn a blind eye to drugs and alcohol, but will break it off in you if it's remotely connected to a firearm.  Not fair.  So most LEGAL gun owners, CCWer's, stamp collectors, etc have to conduct themselves in a very moral and law-abiding way in order to keep their freedom.  Because if they 'eff it up, they lose that freedom.  Not the case with drugs and alcohol......4 DWI's and vehicular manslaughter, yet you can still go to the bar and get away with driving a car (maybe not legally, but getting caught driving on a suspended/revoked DL is a slap on the hand compared to a prohibited person getting caught with a gun.)

Case in point with the lax police enforcement on alcohol issue......my town has DUI checkpoints every once in a while.  They're unconstitutional and waste of resources IMHO, but whatever.  Do they put them on the side of town that has all the bars?  NOPE.  They put a dozen cops on the highway on the other side of town, which has a parallel "old highway..." that anybody can just turn off on and bypass the checkpoint.  But they wouldn't dare set them up on the main drag near those 3 bars as that's where a ton of sales tax money comes from in this town.  They maybe get one person on one of these checkpoints a weekend, yet they'd net at least 50 per location if they pulled people over as they left the bar's parking lot.  Money > safety.  That would never happen with guns.
View Quote

I’d wager a guess that if certain drugs were never made illegal in the first place, we’d have almost zero gun laws.

Or have you forgotten what prompted the NFA?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should take a poll on who benefits financially from keeping it illegal.
All those cool toys arent going to pay for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#46]

I guess the solution is to keep it illegal so that children can buy it just as easily as adults and there is absolutely no oversight over potency, quality, purity, etc.

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Yawn.
Wake me up when pot even comes close to 95000 related deaths per year.
https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/alcohol-facts-and-statistics
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Are you saying that's it's immoral to consume marijuana?

If so, what do you base that view on?
View Quote

No, I'm saying our culture is less moral, in general, that it has been in the past.  We are less personally responsible and less moral.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

And yet many of them fancy themselves as libertarian.

Also relevant to most of the hand wringing in this thread:

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, I'm saying our culture is less moral, in general, that it has been in the past.  We are less personally responsible and less moral.
View Quote

That’s a cop out. You brought up morality within a conversation about legalizing marijuana. Are you suggesting your comment was a non sequitur that had nothing to do with the conversation?

Is consuming pot immoral or not?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top