Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2020 3:19:01 PM EDT
WTF?

I got put on furlough. I have to file in CA. I can’t file online because I moved, even though I lived in CA for my entire “base period”. I called over 200 times today (the call history on my iPhone stops counting at 200 - learned something new today). I actually made it to the auto attendant 14 times, then cut off in the menus because too many callers.

They’re only open 8 AM - 12 PM. You’d think under the circumstances they’d expand hours. As soon as it hits 12 PM - “Our offices are closed”.

I understand most states UI offices are being overwhelmed, but at least they’re taking claims all day. This is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I filed on the 25th, never received any kind of confirmation package. I just received my first claim form today. No mention of the Feds $600/week kicker. A few years ago they transitioned to Visa debit cards, hopefully mine is still active and I don’t have to jump through hoops to access the funds whenever they become available.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I filed on the 25th, never received any kind of confirmation package. I just received my first claim form today. No mention of the Feds $600/week kicker. A few years ago they transitioned to Visa debit cards, hopefully mine is still active and I don’t have to jump through hoops to access the funds whenever they become available.
View Quote

I'm glad to hear you got approved. I'm speed dialing again.....
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

It went through. Pending transfer from the debit card to my bank account. It was just the max of $900, no $600 Federal kicker, not sure why as the state has received the funds from the Fed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my guys got his card and one of my employees spouses got theirs...but that one guy is one of 16 so far and they filed two weeks ago due to reduced hours.  

Their union came by and helped do the online portion for them.  

Times are tough for sure.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Wife was furloughed and applied.

We got the online account up and running, and the benefit says "paid", but we have not received the debit card yet. Anyone have an idea of when that is supposed to arrive?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We got the online account up and running, and the benefit says "paid", but we have not received the debit card yet. Anyone have an idea of when that is supposed to arrive?
View Quote

I don’t recall. I’ve had mine for a few years now. I generally have to file for a few weeks/months every year due to weather. Last year they had cancelled the card and it took a few weeks for them to reactivate it, and stuff wasn’t all crazy like it is now.

It’s through BofA. Maybe get in touch with the about it?? Probably be a quicker avenue than EDD.

Looks like I’m heading back to work next week anyways, for how long who knows. At least I’ve already got a claim open so if I need to reactivate it it shouldn’t be a PITA.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It went through. Pending transfer from the debit card to my bank account. It was just the max of $900, no $600 Federal kicker, not sure why as the state has received the funds from the Fed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s news to me. The state is still publishing their max payment as $350. If it’s $900 that’ll help.

I hit speed dial 412 times today. I actually got through to the auto-attendant 19 times, but could never get connected to the queue.

ETA: max payment $450, not $350
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m glad it worked for you. My problem is I moved to Texas at Christmas. My base period is January - December, so even though 100% of my base period was in CA, I can’t apply online because I moved out of state. Ugh. It’s frustrating. They only answer phones 4 hours/day.....and they don’t answer the phones.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow that’s pretty sad. I just applied for UI but I’m not sure if I will qualify. I’m self employed and can’t work due to the shutdown. If I do qualify I have no idea how much I’ll even get a week. Hope you get your call in, stupid they are only open 4 hours
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I just don't get how they only answer the phones for 4 hours daily. In the best of times that is inadequate. Now, that is just abusive.

As shitty as the CA government can get, I doubt any other agency in this state only answers the phones 4 hours a day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That’s news to me. The state is still publishing their max payment as $350. If it’s $900 that’ll help.

I hit speed dial 412 times today. I actually got through to the auto-attendant 19 times, but could never get connected to the queue.
View Quote

It’s all dependent on your income. Because of what I earn weekly I can max out the benefits. The max being $450/week. Sent a letter to my congressman last night asking WTF is up with the state not paying out the kicker that they have in their grubby hands.... We shall see.

Hope you can get through. Good news is supposedly, it will be retroactive to when you first became unemployed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow that’s pretty sad. I just applied for UI but I’m not sure if I will qualify. I’m self employed and can’t work due to the shutdown. If I do qualify I have no idea how much I’ll even get a week. Hope you get your call in, stupid they are only open 4 hours
View Quote

Self employed and gig workers are now eligible. What you get will depend on your income. At any rate it will be better than zero.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I finally made it through this morning. The max in CA is $450. How did you arrive at $900? Two people?

ETA: Never mind, I think you already answered my question.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Self employed and gig workers are now eligible. What you get will depend on your income. At any rate it will be better than zero.
View Quote

What income will they be going off of I wonder? I assume my tax filing which will suck
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Big question here - I got through and the rep was able to file claims for both myself and my daughter. At end, we have to listen to some recording to complete the claim. When he tried to transfer us to the recording he dropped the call.

Does anybody know if that will stall the claim? Do you have to enter anything at the end to confirm you listened?  Ughhhhhh!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Big question here - I got through and the rep was able to file claims for both myself and my daughter. At end, we have to listen to some recording to complete the claim. When he tried to transfer us to the recording he dropped the call.

Does anybody know if that will stall the claim? Do you have to enter anything at the end to confirm you listened?  Ughhhhhh!
View Quote

Glad you got through. Not sure regarding the call confirmation as I always file online. You should now be able to go online and see your status.... Probably tomorrow, not sure if they’d have it up that fast.

Given the current situation, I’d assume if you got all the way through minus some minor tidbit they’d still process your claim, but who knows with Government bureaucrats.

Yes, I was referring to $900 for a two week period at max benefit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Glad you got through. Not sure regarding the call confirmation as I always file online. You should now be able to go online and see your status.... Probably tomorrow, not sure if they’d have it up that fast.

Given the current situation, I’d assume if you got all the way through minus some minor tidbit they’d still process your claim, but who knows with Government bureaucrats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Since I posted that, my daughter was able to log in and see there's a claim being processed. She could log in because she had a claim last year. I can't see mine because I never filed before so don't have a EDD Customer Account number yet. According to the website, they'll mail that to me in a couple of weeks (form DE5614 I think it said).

But it's looking good. That's a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. It's not a lot of money but it'll help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top