Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2021 6:47:22 PM EDT
My son just finished his Junior year in high school, so we're getting ready to send out applications.

Relevant stats:
Straight A's all the way through school
31 ACT first shot
Multiple Dual Enrollment classes scheduled Sr. year
Not much extracurricular, just FBLA
Goal is medical imaging, x-ray tech or similar
Male
Tragically white
firmly in the poors

Currently looking at Austin Peay, but open to anything as long as we can get help with the $$$
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My son just finished his Junior year in high school, so we're getting ready to send out applications.

Relevant stats:
Straight A's all the way through school
31 ACT first shot
Multiple Dual Enrollment classes scheduled Sr. year
Not much extracurricular, just FBLA
Goal is medical imaging, x-ray tech or similar
Male
Tragically white
firmly in the poors

Currently looking at Austin Peay, but open to anything as long as we can get help with the $$$
Thanks guys!
View Quote

I went to APSU using my GI Bill.  Its guess its like all other institutionalized learning facilities.
He might be able to apply for some money as a minority at TSU.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Nashville State or whatever they're called these days. They're out on White Bridge Road & have an excellent rep. No clue what programs they offer though.

Cleveland State is another excellent school in (duh) Cleveland, TN. Excellent rep, again not sure of programs offered.

Is the mil out of the question? A guaranteed contract for imaging tech would be a nice way of getting certified, IMO. See the world, get experience, etc.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin has a Radiology Technology program.
My late wife graduated from it back in the '90's.
They don't have student housing though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, doesn’t your son’s high school have a guidance counselor? I would seek help there, if that is available.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Volunteer State Community College in Gallatin has a Radiology Technology program.
My late wife graduated from it back in the '90's.
They don't have student housing though.
View Quote

You live in Florida now, Florida Man. Find your own forum to entertain.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I work in health care. Not to be that guy, but any reason he's only aiming for xray tech? With his scores and grades I'd recommend higher.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I work in health care. Not to be that guy, but any reason he's only aiming for xray tech? With his scores and grades I'd recommend higher.
View Quote

Less stress?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Cleveland State, Chattanooga State, etc.  There are several state schools with rad tech programs, look around and see who offers it in an area he'd want to live in as a student.  Should be able to go nearly free as a TN resident with Hope scholarship, etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Less stress?
View Quote

Fair point but he'll probably out grow the pay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top