Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2018 9:34:27 PM EDT
I'm a Scrooge. In fact, I think I out-Scrooge the storied miser. I really don't want to celebrate Christmas, and I haven't for many years. My kids (now 18 and 22) have noticed.

So this year I may take my family to a resort in Virginia or West Virginia. Where should we go for three nights around Christmas?

I haven't got a clue on how to use amenities. When I travel, all I need is a bed and shower. What's that fucking mint doing on my pillow? A robe in the closet? Fuck that!

Obviously this more for them than me. Maybe it's worth up to $2K, but less would be better.

Any recommendations for a place that does Christmas well?
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Check into the Williamsburg area. We did the Thanksgiving thing there one year and it was GREAT! Living history can be fun at any age.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Salamander Resort in Middleburg, VA did a nice job for us last year bringing a 60 pound dog as well.  They have dog friendly rooms and lots of walking trails, plus had a dog bed and food/water bowls in the room when we arrived.  My point is that they pay attention to detail with bringing a pet, and the rest of the stay was nice as well.  Expensive, but very nice.  We had the Christmas Eve dinner and the Christmas Day brunch, as we only stayed one night.

Keep in mind that you will probably be spending a lot of time with family, so you don't need events and amenities to keep you busy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:58:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check into the Williamsburg area. We did the Thanksgiving thing there one year and it was GREAT! Living history can be fun at any age.
View Quote
they do a great job of decorating.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
At 1st I was going to recommend Coolfont Resort near Berkely Springs,WVa... but looks like it's still under renovation.

But I did some research and the Greenbrier Resort may have what you seek.
Plenty of things to do for you and kiddo's,
Casual or fine dining,
Rooms,cottages and estate houses,
even have a shooting range,(prolly shotgun)
and they do it up for Xmas.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At 1st I was going to recommend Coolfont Resort near Berkely Springs,WVa... but looks like it's still under renovation.

But I did some research and the Greenbrier Resort may have what you seek.
Plenty of things to do for you and kiddo's,
Casual or fine dining,
Rooms,cottages and estate houses,
even have a shooting range,(prolly shotgun)
and they do it up for Xmas.
View Quote
you would be right,

they do have a small 'rifle' range, and a couple old ruger 77\22's to loan, (did when I was there maybe 5 yrs ago)
basically a cut in the side of a hill,

they are a shotgun place primarily,  and have a very nice facility,

the tour of the bunker was cool

gambling, if that is your thing,

another nice place is The Homestead,

been there a handful of times for corporate events,  never for christmas,

the food (for corporate events) sucked, but Sam Sneads was good,

re Williamsburg,

Wheedon or Weedon, cannot remember how it is spelled, is a nice Inn next to Wiliamsburg winery,

do the reserve tour if you go, not the public\commoner tasting,

good eats there too,

but have not been there for christmas
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Massanutten is excellent, great 2-4 bedroom condos, lots of stuff in town or on resort to do.  Very affordable compared to hotels.  We go yearly in the fall.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out Primland.  Tons of activities for the family.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Homestead and the surrounding area would be pretty...lots to do there, and renting nearby would be cheaper than the resort itself.

You could even rent a cabin near the Natural Bridge area. I recall driving to Paint Bank for lunch...beautiful with all the snow!

Although I've never been, I hear Greenbriar is very pretty.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
What about that Wolf Lodge place (not sure that's the name)?  Several folks have talked about it at work and they frigging LOVE it!
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top