Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously there were lots of tears up front when she realized the totality of circumstances. The fear of god was put in her when she realized her speeding almost ruined her life with a criminal record. She is out a considerable chunk of money after paying the lawyer and fines. From past experience, when she learns her lesson, she takes it very serious. I say this because the one other time she got in serious trouble, she was caught lying. She is now overly honest with us about EVERYTHING. This sometimes isn’t as grand as it sounds when you have a teenage daughter.

I was torn through all this. I am infuriated at her speeding, more so her speed. But I was mortified at the possible outcome. Now that it is settled, the wrath of her parents will be on her. She now as an app that monitors her location and speeds she drives at. She is not happy about the location portion of that, but full well accepts the speed tracker. She comes how for fall break the first weekend in October. I am finally going to light into her to get it off my chest. She didn’t want to work over winter break, I’m not giving her that choice now. I will go easy on her compared to her mother.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I am glad she took this seriously and understands her mistake. Hopefully this will save her a lot of grief down the line.

I have seen a few instances were the kid would have fared better going to jail then going home with mom and dad

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
She gets it.  Instead of having a nice relaxing week off before school, she did 40 hours of community service during the day and online driving school at night.  In addition to having to go to the gym for her college pre season workouts and packing.  She was burning the candles at three ends that week.

In the end, aside from the emotional anguish of some really bad possibilities, it cost her time and money.  And those are the two most measurable things. I considered that prepunishment.  My wife and I have a week to plot her demise before she gets home for break.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So my daughter was on her way home from vacation and got popped on 95 by Sussex County Deputy.  Got hit with the greater than 80 reckless driving ticket.  It appears all the years of warning her about speeding in VA went in one ear and out the other.  She has already been chastised, and we are going to be getting a lawyer.

My question is about the criminal charge aspect of it.  Do they really charge people under the criminal law aspect of it regularly?  She is well aware that she is going to eat a hefty, hefty fine, get points, and jacked up insurance rates.  I’m more concerned about her possibly having a misdemeanor on her record.  If anyone has any current knowledge, I would greatly appreciate any input.  TIA

UPDATE- court date today.  All went well.  Lawyered up, he had her complete community service hours and a driving class prior to today.  She also had her speedometer calibrated.  Judge knocked it down to Improper Driving, no points and $475 plus court fees.  Whew!  Thanks for your responses and advice.
View Quote

Congrats!  Hopefully she learned a lesson and your insurance won't go up too much/any.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top