Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2023 12:32:44 AM EDT
So I've got to make a trip to the Rochester area for about two weeks for work.  Just retired from LE about a month ago.  Have my retired badge, agency retired ID and LEOSA creds.  What is my magazine limit requirement while in your state?  I don't want to run afoul of the NY laws if I can help it.  

I would appreciate any guidance that  could be provided.  Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]
10 rounds, but cops aren't allowed to count rounds.

Get a garbage plate while you're here. We're in Ontario county, southeast of Rottencrotchfester.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
We peasants have a 10 round maximum here. Not sure how you will be limited. Hopefully one of the LEO's here will fill you in.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a garbage plate while you're here.
View Quote

You are the second person to tell me to "get a garbage plate" while up there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#4]
This is worth what you paid for it. A NYS cop friend said under LEOSA you could keep your original duty mags. However, to avoid the hassle and the ride, I'd buy a 10 round mag or two. Is it a capitulation to a bad law, yep. But, do you need a potential shit show?

Don't worry, Clarence right now is plotting to get rid of the mag bans in 2038.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
under LEOSA you could keep your original duty mags.
View Quote

In your home state. LEOSA does not cover mags that hold more than 10 rounds in states that ban them or hollow point bullets in states that ban them (NJ).
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In your home state. LEOSA does not cover mags that hold more than 10 rounds in states that ban them or hollow point bullets in states that ban them (NJ).
View Quote

This is what I thought the rule was.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You are GTG with whatever you want
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can carry what you should

Full cap bags and all.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ten round mags. The only mags that were covered for retired officers were AR mags, and you have to qualify with those mags every three years in order to keep them. IF your former agency will even follow the edicts set forth in the unSAFE act and qual guys on their ARs on 218/ LEOSA  range days
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the actual language out of NYS Article 265 as it pertains to retired LEO's and magazines. The short answer is retired LEO's with the high caps they carried when they retired are good to go in NYS.

https://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.php?zoom_highlight=cpw#p265.20

e. Subdivision eight of section 265.02 and sections 265.36 and  265.37
 of  this  chapter  shall  not  apply  to a qualified retired New York or
 federal law enforcement officer as defined in subdivision twenty-five of
 section  265.00  of  this  article,  with  respect  to  large   capacity
 ammunition  feeding  devices issued to such officer or purchased by such
 officer in the course of his or her official duties and  owned  by  such
 officer  at the time of his or her retirement or comparable replacements
 for such devices, if: (i) the agency that employed the officer qualified
 such officer in the use of the  weapon  which  accepts  such  device  in
 accordance  with  applicable  state or federal standards for active duty
 law enforcement officers within  twelve  months  prior  to  his  or  her
 retirement;  and  (ii)  such  retired  officer  meets, at his or her own
 expense, such applicable standards for such weapon at least once  within
 three  years  after  his  or her retirement date and at least once every
 three years thereafter,  provided,  however,  that  any  such  qualified
 officer  who  has  been  retired  for  eighteen  months  or  more on the
 effective date of this subdivision shall have eighteen months from  such
 effective  date  to  qualify in the use of the weapon which accepts such
 large capacity ammunition feeding device according to the provisions  of
 this  subdivision,  notwithstanding  that  such  officer did not qualify
 within three years after his or her retirement date, provided that  such
 officer  is  otherwise  qualified  and  maintains  compliance  with  the
 provisions of this subdivision.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's the actual language out of NYS Article 265 as it pertains to retired LEO's and magazines. The short answer is retired LEO's with the high caps they carried when they retired are good to go in NYS.

federal law enforcement officer
as defined in subdivision twenty-five of

View Quote

This says "retired New York or federal law enforcement officer"

Also, effective September 4, 2022, Penal Law Section 265.36 (unlawful possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device), was repealed.

Here is a current copy of the laws: http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:  (click on the "LAWS" tab)
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.... Looks like NY only recognizes NY retired officers for an acception.  Thank you to all who replied.  I think I've got the info I need.  

I hope y'all can, some day, out vote the commies in your state and join free America again.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are the second person to tell me to "get a garbage plate" while up there.
View Quote
Charlie Reidel's has a good one, so does Empire Hots. But Nick Tahou's is the original.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep.... Looks like NY only recognizes NY retired officers for an acception.  Thank you to all who replied.  I think I've got the info I need.  

I hope y'all can, some day, out vote the commies in your state and join free America again.

View Quote
Flying spaghetti monster will arrive before that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Flying spaghetti monster will arrive before that.
View Quote

Unfortunately true.

Sad reality NY is a lost cause,

If all reasonable logical conservative minded people left ( which for the most part are the only ones working and providing tax revenue besides the totally brainwashed extreme leftists most of which work for the state and local government and education systems) the state would collapse. Only way it might be recoverable is to let it fall totally then rebuild brick by brick.

The old saying “ you can’t fight city hall” applies here. And since NYC city hall might just as well be the state capitol, there is simply no recovery at this point.

I put my money where my mouth is and left 7 years ago, I suggest anyone reading this do the same.

Enough rant the easy answer to your question, is to simply pack a couple J frames - no capacity issues there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats going to suck because I have no intention of carrying a Glock 17 as a retired guy......
Pretty sure my agency will interpret the above s meaning they'll only qualify a retired guy on the make and model of handgun they were carrying the day they retired
Yesterday was my last day. Tomorrow I'm on the range to do my 218 qual.
I'll have to ask, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yesterday was my last day.
View Quote

Congratulations!  I'm a month into retirement now but already back to work.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Seems like it’s already been answered but as far as I know LEOSA never covered magazine capacity or ammunition type.  So exempting any Federal legislation on magazines and ammunition state laws would apply.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got to say that even though this is NY, the western half of the state seems to be very beautiful.  The Finger Lakes region is really nice.  The weather has been crazy.  It was 32 degrees here the other morning and has been in the 50's and 60's for highs.   I'm ready to head back south and complain about the heat!

I've actually met quite a few "gun guys" up this way.  Hearing what it takes to get a concealed carry permit up here makes me scratch my head a bit.  Wow....
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got to say that even though this is NY, the western half of the state seems to be very beautiful.  The Finger Lakes region is really nice.
View Quote
My fathers family was from Syracuse and when I was a child we would vacation at my grandparents cottage on Skaneateles Lake. Beautiful region and I would love to settle there when I retire but it is in New York and I want out of here to experience a few years of freedom and preserve my retirement savings

The problem is there are really two New York's. The New York City region that is basically everything south of Sullivan County and the rest of the state. Unfortunately the New York City region pretty much runs the state and writes all of the asinine laws. Same problem in California. It is basically San Francisco south that sets the agenda for the entire state. Just like in California, the upstate region would love to secede if they could. Upstate New York should become New Amsterdam and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Upstate NY is among the most beautiful places on earth. It's a shame what the politicians have done to it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My fathers family was from Syracuse and when I was a child we would vacation at my grandparents cottage on Skaneateles Lake. Beautiful region and I would love to settle there when I retire but it is in New York and I want out of here to experience a few years of freedom and preserve my retirement savings

The problem is there are really two New York's. The New York City region that is basically everything south of Sullivan County and the rest of the state. Unfortunately the New York City region pretty much runs the state and writes all of the asinine laws. Same problem in California. It is basically San Francisco south that sets the agenda for the entire state. Just like in California, the upstate region would love to secede if they could. Upstate New York should become New Amsterdam and be done with it.
View Quote

Amen to that. The Senators are chained to NYc. Our elder senator lives in Brooklyn and has or ignores all conceptualizations outside of his bubble world. The other, sold her values for the job, as did Hochul.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The problem is there are really two New York's.
View Quote

Virginia is the same way.  We are stuck with NOVA (Northern VA), otherwise known as occupied Virginia.  About 30-40% of the states population lives in a five county area up there.  Many are federal government workers and the rest are all recent immigrants.  All of them vote D.  Outside of NOVA and NYC, both states seem to be very reasonable and have a lot to offer.

Made it back today but have to head back in another week.  Make sure you all turn the damn heat on by next week.  It was 30 degrees up there the other morning.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Virginia is the same way.  We are stuck with NOVA (Northern VA), otherwise known as occupied Virginia.  About 30-40% of the states population lives in a five county area up there.  Many are federal government workers and the rest are all recent immigrants.  All of them vote D.  Outside of NOVA and NYC, both states seem to be very reasonable and have a lot to offer.

Made it back today but have to head back in another week.  Make sure you all turn the damn heat on by next week.  It was 30 degrees up there the other morning.  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
View Quote

The overnight low temps have been lingering this year
Generally the gardeners know to hold off until Mothers Day for planting if they dont want to lose anything, but this year is a bit odd.
The lows tonight are supposed to dip into the high 30s
I turned off the boiler weeks ago after the last NYSEG bill and have been burning wood on the colder nights, but it HAS been a bit ridiculous this year. It was in the mid 70s today, so we're talking a 40-ish degree temp range from lows to highs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Virginia is the same way.  We are stuck with NOVA (Northern VA), otherwise known as occupied Virginia.
View Quote
My oldest uncle was a WW2 veteran (Major in the Army Air Corps stationed in the South Pacific) and quite conservative. He lived in Luray, VA which seemed to be compatible with politics though he passed away a dozen years ago so not sure if NOVA had taken over yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This says "retired New York or federal law enforcement officer"

Also, effective September 4, 2022, Penal Law Section 265.36 (unlawful possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device), was repealed.

Here is a current copy of the laws: http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:  (click on the "LAWS" tab)
View Quote

Since they repealed 265.36 and all it's language, are they now using 265.37 as the magazine capacity standard? It still uses seven rounds as the legal limit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Since they repealed 265.36 and all it's language, are they now using 265.37 as the magazine capacity standard? It still uses seven rounds as the legal limit.
View Quote

New York being New York.  

In 2013 Skretny in Erie County, struck down the parts of SAFE that had made it illegal for individuals to load more than seven rounds of ammunition into a magazine. So Western NY was back to 10-rounds while Eastern NY was still at seven. Then the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the ruling making it state-wide. But, a Judge or Court ruling does not change the law. Technically it is still law until the law is amended. New York doesn't enforce it because they know they would lose.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I've got to head back up there this coming week for another two weeks.  Y'alls gun laws are draconion at best.  That said, Virginia is just a couple of poor votes away from the same stupidity.  We seem to keep getting all of y'alls malcontent lefties moving into NOVA and they bring their lunatic politics with them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thats going to suck because I have no intention of carrying a Glock 17 as a retired guy......
Pretty sure my agency will interpret the above s meaning they'll only qualify a retired guy on the make and model of handgun they were carrying the day they retired
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some private offerings of HR218 qual/ cert out there and I think its user choice of pistol.  I am not LEO but the agency I work for is firing up a HR218 program for those retired from the agency, or any retired LEO that live in the county.  I don't think they care what pistol you use, and the issued card doesn't specify.  I don't know anyone personally who would CCW a Glock 21.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There are some private offerings of HR218 qual/ cert out there and I think its user choice of pistol.  I am not LEO but the agency I work for is firing up a HR218 program for those retired from the agency, or any retired LEO that live in the county.  I don't think they care what pistol you use, and the issued card doesn't specify.  I don't know anyone personally who would CCW a Glock 21.

View Quote

I upgraded to a Glock 20 last winter
Now that it's summer I'm back to the 43

There are enough agencies in the area that I can probably get my 218 qual through one of them. I couldn't make it to the range last week when my guys were on the range because I was down with bronchitis for several days
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I've got to head back up there this coming week for another two weeks.  Y'alls gun laws are draconion at best.  That said, Virginia is just a couple of poor votes away from the same stupidity.  We seem to keep getting all of y'alls malcontent lefties moving into NOVA and they bring their lunatic politics with them.
View Quote

Dress for the heat, now you get to suffer our lovely shift to blazing hot while last week had frost.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dress for the heat, now you get to suffer our lovely shift to blazing hot while last week had frost.
View Quote
Here on the island we are expecting close 90 if not 90 itself by Thursday/Friday. The last several years we have gone to five seasons it seems. Winter, Spring, Fall and Summer and then something along the lines of OMFG for July and August. June and September are basically Summer now Honestly the heat does not bother me too much - you can usually step into the shade and get some cool air. It is the *&#$(*&#$% humidity I hate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top