Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 4:36:40 PM EDT
I bought a used flat-top AR upper last summer off the EE, that appears to be Ceracoated or something like that, in satin black.  I say that, because there are a few places where the finish has chipped. I think it may have been an "in the white" upper originally, and it has no forge mark. It was fairly cheap, but it came with a FA and A2 port door.

I mocked it up with a barrel and BCG, and the BCG is a little tight in it. However, the BCG is new, so I tried a few others (used), and they are a little better, but tighter in this upper than other uppers I have. So, maybe the Ceracoat is a little too thick inside perhaps?

So now I think, what do I do? Most likely it would more cost effective to find another upper, but I thought that it would be interesting to see how much it would cost to have this upper bead-blasted and anodized.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience with the metal finishing industry, anodizing a part usually starts at about $50.  You might be better off looking for a stripped upper and swapping all the other parts into it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up buying another stripped upper from Combat Armory last week. It came with a charging handle, and with their sale, additional 15% discount, and free shipping, only spent $36.54. Got a real nice Anchor-Harvey forge receiver.

I've already stripped the parts off the cerakoted receiver. I'll probably keep it in the spare parts box until I can find somewhere to bead blast it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top