Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2021 2:39:08 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a good Real Estate Attorney in the Hamilton County area?

I am starting to have an issue with a neighbor along a property line, and he is threatening to take out trees on my property.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a surveyor. One who is registered, this is what it will boil down to.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, did you find a surveyor?

Getting an attorney is all well and good, but the first thing they will tell you to do is to get it surveyed. The attorney can't do shit until that happens.

Not just any surveyor will do, you want an RLS, Registered Land Surveyor. Registered as in by the state of TN. They will come out and survey using the deed from the courthouse and stake it with flags so that it is very apparent where the property line is. If the survey pins are still in, all the better.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a proper survey done, as mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are not willing to take it to court, you are wasting your time.  Survey is your first step though. Fence posted it the second.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#5]
We (My parents and now me) have lived in the house since '79 and know exactly where the original property pins are from when the neighborhood was originally surveyed. The ass neighbor had threatened to cut down trees (a number larger than I have in my yard, 3 of which are 100 yr old white oaks) well inside of my 40+ yr old fence line, which is inset 3 in.

Spoke with another neighbor, and turns out the ass neighbor who decided to police knock on my glass storm door, sounding like he would break it, at 9:15p at night is apparently in a progressive stage of dementia. I have decided before I get an attorney involved, to speak with his wife. I have made an incident report with the county sheriff, as the property is in the county, so I have a paper trail if it happens again or I have damage to my back yard. I also informed the other close neighbors I know because Dementia patients usually get aggressive, mean, and can be violent at times, they also get a bit crazier after it gets dark, and for whatever reason he is choosing to focus on my house. I am also sending a letter to the HOA about the incident, and how if they send anyone into my yard it will be considered criminal trespass, not that the HOA will do anything.

I will not be bullied or intimidated at this point, I am too exhausted and out of F's to give. Working 50+hrs a week with 2 jobs (which I love both), while packing and moving 2 households, as well as dealing with probate court in another state and all it entails, has gotten me to this level. A friend joked that I have turned from a Southern Belle to a Steele Magnolia, and I think I am just gonna keep it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to a survey, get plenty of pics and video of the area in question. These will be date stamped and admissible in court if it were to go that far. This will establish the damage (if any) and loss in value, etc.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Put up a few trail cams after talking to wife, while pursuing other options for remedies.  First time you catch him back on your property for any non-emergency reason, trespass his ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top