Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/12/2023 5:13:48 PM EDT
It's that time of yr. Rattlesnakes are beginning to emerge from hibernation. Watch where you put your hands and feet.
I relocated this yearling diamondback from a buddies home yesterday.

Link Posted: 3/12/2023 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great, now do I not only have to worry about Javelina jumping out of the brush and scaring the shit outta me, I gotta watch out for snakes, too!! Good thing my MX boots are snake proof!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reminder.  Just this week I was thinking about the rattlesnakes maybe being out already.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Switched the first 2 rounds in the snub to snake shot. That's the dog walking gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reminder.  Just this week I was thinking about the rattlesnakes maybe being out already.
View Quote

This little one was likely surface active for the past week or more. She had already taken a meal, defecated in the bucket.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Here in Arizona I never take it for granted that the snakes are not out.
I always figure they’re out about 11 and 1/2 months of the year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here in Arizona I never take it for granted that the snakes are not out.
I always figure they’re out about 11 and 1/2 months of the year.
View Quote

You would be correct.
There is at least one species of rattlesnake surface active every month of the yr in Az. Even during the coldest months in Az, rattlesnakes will emerge from their hibernaculum and bask in the sunlight on warm days or come out to drink during a winter rainstorm. They will not wander far from their hibernaculum during this time.
This time of yr, with the onset of warmer temps, they will begin to move greater distances in search of food and a suitable mate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You would be correct.
There is at least one species of rattlesnake surface active every month of the yr in Az. Even during the coldest months in Az, rattlesnakes will emerge from their hibernaculum and bask in the sunlight on warm days or come out to drink during a winter rainstorm. They will not wander far from their hibernaculum during this time.
This time of yr, with the onset of warmer temps, they will begin to move greater distances in search of food and a suitable mate.
View Quote

That's the most fearful, yet amazing description right there!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be correct.

Do not fear them, they are amazing creatures. As always, be alert and aware of your surroundings, they are worthy of respect.
The manner in which they have evolved and adapted to live in some of the most inhospitable environments is nothing short of incredible. The more you learn about them and understand them, the more fascinating they become.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do not fear them, they are amazing creatures. As always, be alert and aware of your surroundings, they are worthy of respect.
The manner in which they have evolved and adapted to live in some of the most inhospitable environments is nothing short of incredible. The more you learn about them and understand them, the more fascinating they become.
View Quote

Sorry bud, I have a natural fear of all snakes!! Rattlesnakes are just the most scary of all the snakes!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Y’all must be in southern AZ. North and South rim, they NOT out and they can stay that way. Baby tiger rattler almost got my lab last summer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Y’all must be in southern AZ. North and South rim, they NOT out and they can stay that way. Baby tiger rattler almost got my lab last summer.
View Quote

Tiger rattler on the N and S rim??
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, rattlers are the gentleman's of venomous snakes  . Rattlers always give you a warning ,and let you know they are there. When i lived in northern NJ we had copperheads that would shrike without notice.  I had 2 dogs bit by copperheads and almost got got bit while getting firewood from a cord I had next to the house. The south has cotton mouth water moccasins and gators . We  have it  easy here. Just pay attention and you have nothing to fear from rattlers . Dogs and cats only get bit because they go after the rattlers or most anything that moves. Your more likely of getting mugged/robed/shot in Arizona than bit by a rattler these days. Our currant problems here in Arizona are 2 legged vermin.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IMHO, rattlers are the gentleman's of venomous snakes  . Rattlers always give you a warning ,and let you know they are there. When i lived in northern NJ we had copperheads that would shrike without notice.  I had 2 dogs bit by copperheads and almost got got bit while getting firewood from a cord I had next to the house. The south has cotton mouth water moccasins and gators . We  have it  easy here. Just pay attention and you have nothing to fear from rattlers . Dogs and cats only get bit because they go after the rattlers or most anything that moves. Your more likely of getting mugged/robed/shot in Arizona than bit by a rattler these days. Our currant problems here in Arizona are 2 legged vermin.
View Quote

The snake in the OP was discovered by my buddy's wife. The snake sought refuge under the hose reel by their back door. It could have easily tagged her on the ankle as she unknowingly walked by, but it gave warning with a quick buzz of the tail.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

South Rim area is where the Tiger was last summer. It has been cold, rainy and snowing all winter here. Still is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You would be correct.
View Quote

I love learning new words.  And that is a new one on me.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

South Rim area is where the Tiger was last summer. It has been cold, rainy and snowing all winter here. Still is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The northern most extent of the Tiger Rattlesnake's (C tigris) range is the southern flank of the Bradshaw Mountains. Grand Canyon Rattlesnakes (C abyssus) are common along the south rim and in the canyon and are often pink in coloration. Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnakes (C pyrrhus) also occur on the west side of the south rim. Specks often do resemble tigers. Glad your pup didn't get tagged.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Live just east of the Fortuna foothills, seen two this week, helped them cross the road as they were sunning themselves, still alittle lethargic  but do come to life with a some prodding,  yea they are out
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The northern most extent of the Tiger Rattlesnake's (C tigris) range is the southern flank of the Bradshaw Mountains. Grand Canyon Rattlesnakes (C abyssus) are common along the south rim and in the canyon and are often pink in coloration. Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnakes (C pyrrhus) also occur on the west side of the south rim. Specks often do resemble tigers. Glad your pup didn't get tagged.
View Quote

I think I sourced my information pretty accurately but here it is… @AZJeeper
https://rattlesnakesolutions.com/snake-information/reptiles-of-arizona.php

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I sourced my information pretty accurately but here it is… @AZJeeper
https://rattlesnakesolutions.com/snake-information/reptiles-of-arizona.php

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2851/8F0147D1-21E8-4018-B5FE-130DE1A4DB55_jpe-2755957.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2851/345C19CD-F3AE-42E1-A30A-52BCD60CCD81_jpe-2755958.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2851/ED5087D5-8874-4016-B39D-B2A93428781C_jpe-2755960.JPG

@CavScout
Depending upon where on the S rim this was/how close to the canyon, this was a Prairie Rattlesnake or a Grand Canyon Rattlesnake. The two species intergrade in that area and were formerly bunched together in the viridis complex along with several other species. Both have now been elevated to full species status.
Take a look at the Tiger Rattlesnake section and range map on the link you provided, you will notice that tigers do not occur anywhere near the canyon. They are a primarily lowland desert species.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@CavScout
Depending upon where on the S rim this was/how close to the canyon, this was a Prairie Rattlesnake or a Grand Canyon Rattlesnake. The two species intergrade in that area and were formerly bunched together in the viridis complex along with several other species. Both have now been elevated to full species status.
Take a look at the Tiger Rattlesnake section and range map on the link you provided, you will notice that tigers do not occur anywhere near the canyon. They are a primarily lowland desert species.
View Quote

Very interesting. Well this weekend I am clearing the winter brush piles while it is still wet and cold, putting out my mouse trap buckets to reduce their food sources and get all of this done before it is snake weather. I might release a few dozen king snakes to help out as well. I used to raise Kings and have seen them eat Copperheads before.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Had this little bugger in my house one day.  Still not sure how it got in.  Also not sure how long it was there but the cat alerted me to it and it wasn't gonna live long if I hadn't interceded.  released it in the back yard.  hard to believe one day it will be large enough to eat rattlers.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Had this little bugger in my house one day.  Still not sure how it got in.  Also not sure how long it was there but the cat alerted me to it and it wasn't gonna live long if I hadn't interceded.  released it in the back yard.  hard to believe one day it will be large enough to eat rattlers.

https://i.imgur.com/VGuYj6x.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Live just east of the Fortuna foothills, seen two this week, helped them cross the road as they were sunning themselves, still alittle lethargic  but do come to life with a some prodding,  yea they are out
View Quote

Neat area, very rich in reptile life. Nice saves!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nice!
View Quote

He was very docile.  Wife was all panicked and trying to figure out how to catch him.  I just picked him up and plunked him in the bucket.  he never struggled or tried to bite.  

Kitty watched every step of the process.  Wishing hard that I'd drop it.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You would be correct.
View Quote

Did you do contract work for Boeing in the 200-2012 timeframe?

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be correct.

No.

@tucansam  The person you're thinking of, are his initials DB?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I post this at work every year.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 1:22:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I post this at work every year.

https://i.imgur.com/FQTvmTd.jpg
View Quote

I learned in my many years in college that most rattlesnake bites are adult males on the upper extremeties (arms), and alcohol is usually involved. Leave them alone if you can. They don't chase.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I learned in my many years in college that most rattlesnake bites are adult males on the upper extremeties (arms), and alcohol is usually involved. Leave them alone if you can. They don't chase.
View Quote

Many stupid actions start with booze.  My buddy was frequently called in front of the dean for being in trouble and his standard phrase was "Sir, I believe alcohol might have been a factor.".  
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:23:41 PM EDT
[#31]
azjeeper,

Your knowledge of snakes is impressive.  Are you a herpetologist?
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
azjeeper,

Your knowledge of snakes is impressive.  Are you a herpetologist?
View Quote

Thanks for the kind words.
Amateur herpetologist/advanced hobbyist? No formal schooling, just a deep lifelong interest and decades of field experience going back to the 70's.
Native Az rattlesnakes are of particular interest to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Amateur herpetologist/advanced hobbyist? No formal schooling, just a deep lifelong interest and decades of field experience going back to the 70's.
View Quote

Maybe you can confirm this one that I had in my garage in Cave Creek,  I always thought it was a western diamondback.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe you can confirm this one that I had in my garage in Cave Creek,  I always thought it was a western diamondback.

https://i.imgur.com/vmkAdVQ.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/vmkAdVQ.jpg

You are absolutely correct!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:43:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I would have identified it as a future hat band...
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would have identified it as a future hat band...
View Quote

I identified it as "get the fuck out of my garage".  

PS - he was not happy being evicted.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
AZJeeper,

Do you keep “hots”?

At one time, I used to keep Cerastes, Atrox and Heleri buzztails.

In San Bernardino county CA, the only requirement to go herping was a valid fishing license.

I understand AZ requires a special permit for keeping hots.

I’ve always wanted to keep a cookies and cream morph speckled. I stopped keeping hots when I had young kids and started a business live relocating indigenous hots in the mountains and high desert, it was a fun and profitable side business. Never ran into a speckled and was unwilling to buy a captive bred. I’ve always preferred to keep wild caught juvies.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
AZJeeper,

Do you keep “hots”?

At one time, I used to keep Cerastes, Atrox and Heleri buzztails.

In San Bernardino county CA, the only requirement to go herping was a valid fishing license.

I understand AZ requires a special permit for keeping hots.

I’ve always wanted to keep a cookies and cream morph speckled. I stopped keeping hots when I had young kids and started a business live relocating indigenous hots in the mountains and high desert, it was a fun and profitable side business. Never ran into a speckled and was unwilling to buy a captive bred. I’ve always preferred to keep wild caught juvies.

View Quote

You do not need a permit to keep hots in Az. You do need a valid general hunting license to kill or collect rattlesnakes in Az, providing they are not a closed season species.
It is also unlawful to buy/sell native reptiles, or to keep non native venomous in Az.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You do not need a permit to keep hots in Az. You do need a valid general hunting license to kill or collect rattlesnakes in Az, providing they are not a closed season species.
It is also unlawful to buy/sell native reptiles, or to keep non native venomous in Az.
View Quote

Thanks for the info! Ok, so the AZ law is comparable as to hots. That's good to know. I appreciate the low down about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Another relocation. An early morning visitor on the back patio.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw a Gila monster yesterday near the San Pedro river in Cochise county.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/191135/GilaMonsterSmaller_jpg-2794095.JPG
View Quote

Nice! Always great to see one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What terrain/ what time of the day is the best to try and spot Gila Monsters?

I know the like to hide out most of the time, but it would be pretty cool to see one eventually.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jealous.   I really want to see one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#45]
The king snake has been cruising around the backyard. Still shy.

We came across a flattened long-nosed snake while walking the dogs the other morning. Big guy.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#46]
The first floor of the ASU life science building has a wonderful living collection of rattlesnakes if anyone has a kid attending. I think the general public can view during business hours.

Life Sciences A-wing
451 East Tyler Mall
Tempe, AZ 85281

Fun story is I and a female classmate were there 20+ years ago. We went to West, and our prof was giving a symposium type lecture. Both early 20s. Some kids, maybe 9 y/o were running up and down the hall and pounding on the cages, which obviously had no access from the hallway. Someone asked if the kids were ours, which we quickly replied to the negative.

Eta basically glass cage flush with the walls that line a few of the halls. I always smile when I go there. Love and respect them
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Already seen 2 diamond backs this last week mountain biking
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We came across a flattened long-nosed snake while walking the dogs the other morning. Big guy.  
View Quote

If my buddy had a few kings on/near his property, he wouldn't have these rattlers showing up.
Too bad on the long-nosed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The first floor of the ASU life science building has a wonderful living collection of rattlesnakes if anyone has a kid attending. I think the general public can view during business hours.

Life Sciences A-wing
451 East Tyler Mall
Tempe, AZ 85281

Fun story is I and a female classmate were there 20+ years ago. We went to West, and our prof was giving a symposium type lecture. Both early 20s. Some kids, maybe 9 y/o were running up and down the hall and pounding on the cages, which obviously had no access from the hallway. Someone asked if the kids were ours, which we quickly replied to the negative.

Eta basically glass cage flush with the walls that line a few of the halls. I always smile when I go there. Love and respect them
View Quote

Last time I was there (30yrs ago or so) L Nienaber was overseeing the collection. I got a behind the scenes tour. They just had a litter of New Mexico Ridge-nosed Rattlesnakes (C willardi obscurus) born, awesome to see!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you get tired of the King snake I'll take him.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top