Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2018 12:03:32 AM EDT
We had some guests over this evening and as they were walking out the front door there was a rattlesnake crawling across our front walk. I was only about 18 inches long and went along the side of our house before it mysteriously died. . This is the first snake we have seen here after being in our house since last Sept and the first rattlesnake we have seen since living in AZ and my wife is kinda freaked out now. How prevalent are snakes and how often do you see them?  Is there anything that will keep them away or that we should do or check?  I have sprayed around the house with demon WP and we do not have any brush or leaf piles around, nor water.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We had some guests over this evening and as they were walking out the front door there was a rattlesnake crawling across our front walk. I was only about 18 inches long and went along the side of our house before it mysteriously died. . This is the first snake we have seen here after being in our house since last Sept and the first rattlesnake we have seen since living in AZ and my wife is kinda freaked out now. How prevalent are snakes and how often do you see them?  Is there anything that will keep them away or that we should do or check?  I have sprayed around the house with demon WP and we do not have any brush or leaf piles around, nor water.
View Quote
Chop chop!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chop chop!
View Quote
Kill them all.
Including rabbits and pack rats.
If you have any grass, convert it to gravel.
Repellants are a placebo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Living in Arizona requires some due diligence, living around rattle snakes is a part of life here. If you find them in your yard relocate or kill them, your option.
As has been said, clear brush and debris from your yard, put out rodent poison bait to reduce their food supply and always look where you step, especially at night. They will always have a presence here, don't freak out but do respect what they can do to you and act accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I need a better "snake gun" because the Glock with snake shot is a single shot and it is just a bit loud when fired next to the house. I hate snakes and admit that I am a huge wussy and dont want to get within even shovel distance. I did feel bad for our guests because they are considering moving to AZ and this kinda freaked them out a bit too.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#5]
A S&W .22 revolver with snake shot is my choice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the rattlesnake capital of the US.
What part of town do you reside in OP? If you're close enough to me, I'll come over an re-locate any future visitors free of charge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am in Clarkdale at the foot of Mt. Mingus in the Verde Valley.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The good part is that I did see a King snake at the back of our property last weekend. I am hoping last nights visitor was just passing through.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think I need a better "snake gun" because the Glock with snake shot is a single shot and it is just a bit loud when fired next to the house. I hate snakes and admit that I am a huge wussy and dont want to get within even shovel distance. I did feel bad for our guests because they are considering moving to AZ and this kinda freaked them out a bit too.
View Quote
My Glock 26 cycled CCI snake shot 95% of the time.

A Ruger 10-22 is a nice tool to have handy too.  Mine never cycled CCI snake shot but the thing I liked about the 10-22 is the snake would usually follow the end of the barrel and I could get an easy kill.  And of course the rifles are not that loud.

.22 revolvers also work well.

I ended up buying a pair of snake tongs like these: Snake Tongs so that if the snake was in my garage or up against the house, I could safely move them away.

What Rich_V said is right on!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Surround your home with a horsehair rope.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Get rid of their food and they won't hang around.

We found two rattlesnake skins in the yard when we moved in, but, aside from the semi-resident gopher snake, that's all we've seen. Outside the wire? Probably a shit ton, but we've eradicated all of the ground squirrels and most of the rabbits by removing or barring access to their food sources (and the occasional help from a BB gun)

Killing the snakes and other predators just leaves more room for more pest- rats, squirrels, rabbits, et al.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am in Clarkdale at the foot of Mt. Mingus in the Verde Valley.
View Quote
That's a bit far.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Found a rattlesnake in the driveway last year. About two feet long, caught me off guard. Saw it just before the kids came running out. The rattles were very small and made almost no noise. Just a buzzing noise.  Took care of it.... someone took care of one down the street when we first moved into the area two years ago. That one was about 5 feet or so. I am usually ok with them but worry about the kids. One of the boys doesn’t seem to mind, he chases lizards and bugs all over.

Had a little garden snake in the house last week. Had some sheetrock work done and it was stuck to some tape. Set it free.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Like mentioned above due diligence is #1.

keeping the critters down, and if your lucky enough to have king, bull or gopher snakes thats one of the best deterrents. I lived on 11 acre's in a rural farming community and had 3 known kings and a honorary bull snake (he took out a passing through gopher snake though) never once did I see a rattler.

The wife got tired of living so far away from everything so we ended up moving inland and for better schools for our children. seen 1 at the new place last summer my oldest almost fell victim even after me yelling at him. thankfully it was raining and I think the snakes reflexes were slowed he just started lifting his head as I yanked my boy by the arm back inside.

A suppressed 22 with remington subsonic hp ammo is good medicine .410 or a shovel is what I used most though.

Just be warned if they have a green hue to them it's likely a mojave and are they some feisty sob's! never again will I dance with one of those with a shovel. scared the shit out of me. lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
As Sierra said, a snake will line up on the barrel of a rifle. (Might do it to a pistol but I am not brave enough to get that close and wait to see.)
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just be warned if they have a green hue to them it's likely a mojave and are they some feisty sob's! never again will I dance with one of those with a shovel. scared the shit out of me. lol
View Quote
Blacktailed rattlesnakes can be greenish too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Are rattlesnakes protected in AZ, from what I can find online they aren't?

As I understand it there are a few types of snakes that are protected, but they are rare and in the far southern part of the state? I also think the eco warrior types and natural resource officers keep trying to propagate that they are so that ppl wont automatically kill them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As I understand it there are a few types of snakes that are protected, but they are rare and in the far southern part of the state? I also think the eco warrior types and natural resource officers keep trying to propagate that they are so that ppl wont automatically kill them.
View Quote
Some are.  When you kill one it is always in self defense.  You will probably not see the three rattlesnakes that are protected.  If you see a Tiger rattler, a beautiful snake, leave it alone.  They are timid and will not hurt you unless you mess with it.

And do not kill horned toads or gila monsters.

Here is some information: http://www.southwesternherp.com/protectedspecies/arizona.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are four protected species of rattlesnake in Az. A hunting license is required to take (kill or take live) non protected species. Bag limits apply.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I was hiking a couple of years ago at dreamy draw park.  I saw a tiger rattlesnake. I’ve never seen such an aggressive snake.  I stopped to take pictures of it and it started coming after me.  I took a couple steps back and it still kept coming after me..
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]

This little fucker was in my front yard last week when i got home at 10pm.  Was taking the trash out and almost walked over it.  Used a hoe to decapitate it.  Kill them all.  They're territorial.  Also watch out for these fuckers...
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was hiking a couple of years ago at dreamy draw park.  I saw a tiger rattlesnake. I’ve never seen such an aggressive snake.  I stopped to take pictures of it and it started coming after me.  I took a couple steps back and it still kept coming after me..
View Quote
You didn't happen to get that on video, did you?
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a storage facility located directly behind my house with a buffer type ditch in between that id fill of rocks, I am sure it makes a good hideout for them. There is a chain link fence on the back edge of my lot so I plan to install some 1/4 hardware cloth onto it to help keep them out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a storage facility located directly behind my house with a buffer type ditch in between that id fill of rocks, I am sure it makes a good hideout for them. There is a chain link fence on the back edge of my lot so I plan to install some 1/4 hardware cloth onto it to help keep them out.
View Quote
I always thought about trying to make a barrier around the fence that kept my dogs.  I never did it because I figured I could not make it impenetrable and the critters would find their way in but not out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nope
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope
Too bad, it would've been a first.

Tiger pic added because they're an awesome species.

Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Grew up in SE Arizona.  My Dads ash tray in the truck was full of rattles he chopped off.

Yet for the last 14 years I have not seen a single one.  Been wanting to find one for my daughter. Maybe we need to hang out in the Gila valley in the summers more...
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Grew up in SE Arizona.  My Dads ash tray in the truck was full of rattles he chopped off.

Yet for the last 14 years I have not seen a single one.  Been wanting to find one for my daughter. Maybe we need to hang out in the Gila valley in the summers more...
View Quote
Reminds me of my grandpa. He used to catch them and put them in an old potato sack bring them home and make whatever out of them. Glass domes with the head in it or belts. Rattles everywhere. Neighbor yelled at him because one got out and into his yard.

Mom is like Grandpa and dad shits his pants when he sees any snakes. I am in between. As long as I know they are there I am ok. I don’t like handling them but will if needed. Recently had to remove a snake stuck to tape and took care of a rattlesnake. As a kid i would throw rocks at rattlers now I just make sure they stay away from the kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top