Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2018 11:23:59 PM EDT
Hey everyone!

I've been spending time on my off days in Safford while my wife is working there.  I saw on the city website (from my phone) that there are rifle and pistol ranges, but little detail about them.

Can someone fill me in on them?  Are there RSO's present, are there any fees required, what materials would I need to bring along for my targets etc.?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#1]
From the Ranges thread at the top of the page:

anyone near 85546 should check out the Safford range. we have steel gongs out to 760 meters, a pistol/rimfire range, trap/skeet, and LE range. all have covered shooting tables and small bleachers for spectators. some kind of shoot nearly every weekend. facilities w/ running water. we are currently working on automated targets for the LE only range. we have a yearly "Shootout in the Desert" that is a LE only invitational competition shoot.
View Quote
That post was from 2007, so things might have changed.

I don't know if this is better than no answer, but it might catch someone's eye who's closer.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know if this is better than no answer, but it might catch someone's eye who's closer.
Good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

anyone near 85546 should check out the Safford range. we have steel gongs out to 760 meters, a pistol/rimfire range, trap/skeet, and LE range. all have covered shooting tables and small bleachers for spectators. some kind of shoot nearly every weekend. facilities w/ running water. we are currently working on automated targets for the LE only range. we have a yearly "Shootout in the Desert" that is a LE only invitational competition shoot.

Good luck!
Thanks, I had completely forgotten about/spaced the thread up above!
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
No range safety officer. Its a police it yourself type of place. They do have a Safford PD officer that lives there in a double wide. I think just to have someone close by in case. Not a fancy range but they have been trying to put more into it. If only the air breathers could not tear shit up and throw away there trash .  Still free and open always unless its being cleaned up or worked on. Bring your own targets but they do have steel gongs at various ranges if your are just looking to plink.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew up there.

Love the City of saffford range.

I mostly head up on fry mesa to shoot at dirt tho

@noshoot  how long is her job kepping her there?

If you have kids go check out the Graham County fair in Oct.  We drive over every year for it.  Out daugher is 14, and she has not missed one yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I also spend Time off in Safford while wife working there. The ranges are as everyone else has said. They do have benches, and the main range has a shade covering. There are Gongs that start at 200 and go out from there. Bring your own targets for shorter ranges. The designated pistol range is on the opposite side of the "house trailer" there and many people don't think to go down to that side. They also have an archery range. IF you are interested there is also a Graham County 3-Gun group on facebook with guys who will chip in 15-25 bucks and do get togethers and run stages a few times per year.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info @mjrowley and @mrg98.

I managed to find it a couple of weeks ago and took a couple of pics.
Last week I brought my targets and stands with me and dropped by Home Depot for some 1x2's and made it out there.  It feels unusual being up on a berm under the shade cover shooting down towards my target on the pistol side.
Skipped this week due to the rain in the forecast (Just got back to hotel from Stargazer and got a little wet).

It's looking like this will be our last time for a while unless the clinic here desparately needs coverage more than the E. Valley.

Here are two of the pics I took a couple of weeks ago-

I was quite impressed as to how clean it is, and the lack of holes in the shade cover is mind boggling!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info @mjrowley and @mrg98.

I managed to find it a couple of weeks ago and took a couple of pics.
Last week I brought my targets and stands with me and dropped by Home Depot for some 1x2's and made it out there.  It feels unusual being up on a berm under the shade cover shooting down towards my target on the pistol side.
Skipped this week due to the rain in the forecast (Just got back to hotel from Stargazer and got a little wet).

It's looking like this will be our last time for a while unless the clinic here desparately needs coverage more than the E. Valley.

Here are two of the pics I took a couple of weeks ago-
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/922/c3PodU.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/923/dsmLjm.jpg

I was quite impressed as to how clean it is, and the lack of holes in the shade cover is mind boggling!  
View Quote
Glad you enjoyed it.

Love the Millipede.

The lack of holes in the roof is interesting.  I wonder why that is?  I bet 90% of the locals grew up shooting guns, maybe thats why?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top