Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Range trip thread (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2023 6:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG]
I was told to stay active in the WI subforum, so here's a range trip thread. I'll try to keep pics to same day or posted within the same week as the trip(s). Post your pics if you got ‘em!

I didn't do much shooting today but the boy managed to dispense 120 rounds of 22 by himself...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Don't worry MisterPX, I make sure he picks up more brass than we shoot
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 2:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have to get the daughter out again soon. Maybe meet up and I can share some .22 I got from another member here for kid shooting.

Way to keep the sport alive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Health, job, finances and 'the Rona' have kept me away from the range for far too long.
My goal for this year is to get back there and do some shooting, and also be there for when the
club holds classes. (NRA Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home and
Personal Protection Outside the Home)
The public is welcome to our classes.
www.sheboyganrifleandpistol.org
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mindless1:
I have to get the daughter out again soon. Maybe meet up and I can share some .22 I got from another member here for kid shooting.

Way to keep the sport alive.
View Quote

I think we can certainly figure something out, I’m not shy when it comes to kids sending some rimfire rounds down range! I’ll come find you at the meeting, I need to order a ton of those cookies

Originally Posted By Nytmayr:
Health, job, finances and 'the Rona' have kept me away from the range for far too long.
My goal for this year is to get back there and do some shooting, and also be there for when the
club holds classes. (NRA Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home and
Personal Protection Outside the Home)
The public is welcome to our classes.
www.sheboyganrifleandpistol.org
View Quote

That’s a tough spot to be in. Hopefully your health and situation allow you to get back to it sooner than later. I most certainly cherish every minute I can step foot on the range or float around a lake with the family!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You're a really good Dad!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Harv, I try to keep my kids active and do my best to keep them smiling.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank You for the good thoughts.
It is nice to get out of town, and to be completely honest, back when
I was unemployed and going to school (2010 to 2014), there were days
I had the range all to myself. (Afternoon, middle of the week) Some days were so nice that
I put everything away and just sat there listening to the wind and the birds.
But I worked second and third shift for the next 7 years, so range time was minimal if any.
Then the Rona hit. (We all know what happened, no need to repeat)

But now that "almost" everyone now realizes that it isn't instant and certain death, life is getting
'somewhat' back to normal. I am actually looking forward to going back and being an instructor again;
to me classes are fun. Students are encouraged to bring their guns, and most of the instructors bring theirs as well.
This gives the students (and the instructors) a chance to shoot guns they might not get the chance
to shoot otherwise. I bring a Wilson Combat, another brings his Ruger Super Blackhawk in 454 Casull.
Where can you go to shoot such guns?

Go buy a gun. Get involved. Train. Join a club. Have fun.
Protect and enjoy life.  Hug your kids/parents/family.  Be a positive example of what a gun owner is and should be.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Solo trip this AM.. watched the sunrise over the shore of Lake Michigan while sipping on a cup of coffee. Started at the 300, then went back to 600. Nothing like cutting fresh tracks in powder!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol club?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Racine County Line Rifle Club (RCLRC)
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Im just getting geared up for the year.  Just reloaded 500 45 ACP and 223 to top off a couple ammo cans.  Still need to load up another 2000 9mm before Im set for the year.  Also finishing up my 300 PRC build and finish out the load development for that.

Most of my shooting is done at my local club, Wisconsin River Sportsmen, or at a friends private range.  I do make a few trips to Winnequah every year to shoot at a 1000 yards as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been going to the range weekly for matches and then once additionally (usually alone) to work on drills of some sort.   I am running out of ammo and getting quite low on primers
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been slacking! Got out to sight in my new T2, nice upgrade from the Crossfire. I also spotted a BFL on a Jeep at range 1... lots of cars, taking a class?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Watch the weather and lets get the kids out. Mine has asked me when already.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
@mindless1

Will do! Next Sunday is their last week of archery so they’re going to be ready to burn thru the CCI by the brick lol. I’ll get ahold of you in a week or so.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
You did see there is a sale coming up at some point this year?

https://thecmp.org/cmp-acquires-surplus-ammunition-with-plans-of-sales-in-coming-months/
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice, I’ve never bought anything thru the CMP. I’ll have to get that set up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Daughter and I are hitting the range this weekend as I have 3 new pistols I purchased that I am yet to fire, a Sig P320C, Sig P322, and HK P30. Daughter got a Savage Rascal for Christmas that she is yet to shoot as well. Should be fun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice! Hopefully you get some decent weather.

I'm a big fan of anything rimfire, let us know how the P322 does.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:17:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terminal-Lance] [#19]
When you have your own range every day is range day.

First is my pistol area
Second is my 200 yard rifle area more steel has been added since pictures were taken

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:07:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#20]
Very nice! Although, I would have a serious primer shortage if I were in that situation.

My avatar pic is on my FIL's property,  he sits on 100 acres in the Ozark mountains in northern Arkansas with steel hung all over the property. It's liberating to sling up the rifle and hike to your shots, or even be lazy and take the utv
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lokltrkr:

First is my pistol area
Second is my 200 yard rifle area more steel has been added since pictures were taken

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49668/pistol_range-2775707.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49668/rifle_range-2775701.jpg
View Quote

That grass is getting a bit tall; time for some tannerite mowing
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NAM:

View Quote

Or do some colonial style reenacting with some Dragons Breath. Controlled burn and all that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Originally Posted By jrpett:

Or do some colonial style reenacting with some Dragons Breath. Controlled burn and all that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57664/battlefield-firing1_jpg-2782647.JPG
View Quote

Tannerite via Dragons Breath
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By NesralG:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By jrpett:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57664/battlefield-firing1_jpg-2782647.JPG

Well Nam and jrpett know pretty much anything goes out here up to and including blowing stuff up via tannerite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Of all the things I’ve tried to blow up I still get a kick out of sending old tires via the Redneck Express, they just seem to roll forever
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Of all the things I’ve tried to blow up I still get a kick out of sending old tires via the Redneck Express, they just seem to roll forever
View Quote

We try to blow up eco friendly things like large stuffed animals and snowmen that way we don't have to clean up the mess that gets into my hay field the birds do it for us.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Well Nam and jrpett know pretty much anything goes out here up to and including blowing stuff up via tannerite.
View Quote

Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation, nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did, in fact, exist, sir.

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 4:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#28]

First is my pistol area

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49668/pistol_range-2775707.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49668/rifle_range-2775701.jpg
View Quote

Having my own range off of my back deck is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Go on...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Go on...

Bought a house with some land in Feb out in the middle of nowhere.  I've been shooting at 100 but after I dig a pond and use the material I remove as a berm I'll be able to get out to 500 from my back deck.  I also have deer, bear and turkeys on the land.  No range fees and no neighbors I can see is awesome.  My wife loves the 4 bed 3 bath house (built in 2007) and we're only 10 minutes from town.  Ahhhhhhh.........    

I built a target stand from some scrap wood in a couple of minutes and set it up for my son.  Last week he, my wife and I sat on the deck with a .22 for a couple of hours shooting soda/beer cans filled with water.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 9:23:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#31]
Sounds like you need a plasma table and a pallet of primers. I may know a fella who’s got some fab skills in exchange for range time
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:04:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#32]
Finally stepped up to a quality war belt. Put 100 rounds thru the ol’ G19 working on 1st shots from the draw and got 50 down the pipe of the SBR. Beautiful day spent on the lakeshore once again!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:34:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#33]
Got both kids out to shoot some rimfire yesterday. A little brother/sister paper competition. They both prefer laying on the mat and pinging steel though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also got to run some rounds through my new Sierra 5 and zeroed my freshly stamped Scorpion. Good day To be at the range watching the kids shoot..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#34]
I'm going to head up to my land either today or tomorrow and get some work done on my range.  I want to hang the steel, but I have some trees to cut down first.  I want to build a bench into the deck too.  I'm not sure how I'm going to build a bench into the deck but I'll figure it out on the fly.  

I have to find my steel too.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Not so much of a range trip but our club had their annual picnic today and my kids did what they do best.. make piles of rimfire brass!

All in all it was a good time. My daughter has decided it's time to ditch the embarrassment of a rimfire rifle that Bergara duped me on and switch to a Ruger Precision Rimfire, and I'm 100% on board with that. The boy had himself a blast running the Cricket in the mini AICS.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@mindless1  It was good to hangout for a short while, hopefully we can get out before the 30th.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's mine from this same event. No action shots with the scoped 10/22. Rifle rack. Trying figure out which works best for righty with left eye dom.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

@NesralG, was good to meet your family and the weather was great. Hope to get out too and hoping not too many surprises pop up for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:36:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#37]
Zeroing the mini-A1. Bottom shots were aimed center of mass. Headshots were using Kentucky windage. ~20 yards.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Before and after pics of my cousin pulling the trigger on my Desert Eagle in .50AE for the first time last weekend.

Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Good stuff, keep em coming everyone.

@NAM that is a slick little carbine you got there, I like that a lot!
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 10:03:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#40]
The only shooting I did this weekend was when I used my new (to me) 870 to put a bird down after my dog got it.  Then I put 3 more shells through it.  Great gun, it's like butter.  It's a police trade in I got from another arfcomer for $250.  Last weekend I shot my KIDD 10/22 and did some drills with my carry pistol.  

I did get my new reloading bench built, I just need to set it up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Good stuff, keep em coming everyone.

@NAM that is a slick little carbine you got there, I like that a lot!
View Quote

Thanks! Here it is with it's big brother:

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 11:51:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mindless1] [#42]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:30:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mindless1] [#43]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#44]
Nice! How was the turn out?

I'm going to try to get out Friday night before our long sabbatical.

I did manage to get a buddy out for some rimfire time and I put another 100 thru my Sierra 5 on Friday but I'm in need of some gas system tuning. I keep getting failure to feed with it. And unfortunately it's going to be awhile before that happens..

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#45]
My son and I rang some steel (8x12) at 100yds with the K98 a couple of nights ago.  I was working with him standing, he does pretty well.  I was PMI (I know the OP knows what that means).  He also put a mag through the SBR'd AR with a can in 300blk.  I'm still working on the range, it's not the biggest priority right now.  It's easy to burn through ammo when you have your own range.  It also doesen't help having your reloading bench 15 ft from your range.  

ETA:  My son put 100 rounds through the 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#46]
My son and I rang some steel (8x12) at 100yds with the K98 a couple of nights ago.  I was working with him standing, he does pretty well.  I was PMI (I know the OP knows what that means).  He also put a mag through the SBR'd AR with a can in 300blk.  I'm still working on the range, it's not the biggest priority right now.  It's easy to burn through ammo when you have your own range.  It also doesen't help having your reloading bench 15 ft from your range.  

ETA:  My son put 100 rounds through the 10/22.
View Quote

Hnnnng!

Please tell me they let you keep the Pith cover.. that would've been an awesome billet!
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#47]

Hnnnng!

Please tell me they let you keep the Pith cover.. that would've been an awesome billet!
View Quote

Of course.  And it was a bunch of fun.  Little known fact, the DIs have grass week and firing week off and only had to get the recruits up, PT, to chow, then to me and pick them up at the end of the day.  That's their "off" 2 weeks.  They would show up in civies and tell me which recruits to try to find a reason to drop.  It was a great break for the recruits and the DIs before Field Week, the Crucial and Final Drill.  Then graduation.  

I had recruits falling asleep during Grass Week every day.  I was always cool with them.  I was only a dick to them when they were doing something unsafe.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#48]

Of course.  And it was a bunch of fun.  Little known fact, the DIs have grass week and firing week off and only had to get the recruits up, PT, to chow, then to me and pick them up at the end of the day.  That's their "off" 2 weeks.  They would show up in civies and tell me which recruits to try to find a reason to drop.  It was a great break for the recruits and the DIs before Field Week, the Crucial and Final Drill.  Then graduation.  

I had recruits falling asleep during Grass Week every day.  I was always cool with them.  I was only a dick to them when they were doing something unsafe.
View Quote

I did not know that, that's some interesting knowledge. Still to this day I've thought about making one of those 55 gal drums for snapping in lol.

Were you Hollywood or Paris?
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:36:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMARINE1108] [#49]

I did not know that, that's some interesting knowledge. Still to this day I've thought about making one of those 55 gal drums for snapping in lol.

Were you Hollywood or Paris?
View Quote

When my daughter was really young I braided her hair every night.  I made her sit on the floor in the "good sitting position".  Arms in the correct place, elbows in the pockets of her knees, legs crossed etc.  She had no idea why, it was just how she was supposed to sit while I was brushing/braiding her hair.  Then one day I took her in the back yard, told her to sit like she does when I do her hair and put a bb gun in her hands.  She said "Oooooohhhhhhhhhh!".  Lol!  She had no idea I was training her for years.    

I went to boot camp in Hollywood but was mostly an east coaster.  So PI.  I shot the range high on Starlight, then the next year I broke my own record with a 346 in 2009.  Still have the data books.  R. Lee Ermey sent me a letter and an autographed pic congratulating me.  

Full Metal Jacket Rifle Range

Full Metal Jacket - Charles Whitman/Lee Harvey Oswald Scene (1987) 60fps 1080p HD

I always snuck in a "book suppository" reference during grass week to see who understood.  Usually while they were reading their Knowlege and I noticed one with torn/worn pages.  It'd say "You need to ask your SDI to take you to the book suppository to get a new Knowlege before Final Prac."  Always got a few to chuckle.  Lol!

There was one PMI that was just a dick.  Seemed like he just wanted to be a DI.  He would walk up and down the line with a cleaning rod and whip recruits if they were doing something wrong.  One day while they were eating chow he noticed the rifle stacks weren't perfectly aligned so he knocked them all over and made them re-stack them.  Just an asshole.  The thing is, grass and firing week should be their time to relax.  Have some fun actually shooting.  A good joke every once in awhile makes them trust you because the last thing you want is a pissed off/frustrated recruit with a loaded rifle.  I had one guy from Louisiana that was obviously going to unq.  He just couldn't shoot.  I even sent him to medical to have his eyes checked.  Nothing.  On Qual Day his coach came to me and said his front sight was bent, obviously he had bent it so he could get rolled back to a different platoon and start again.  He was one of the guys that his DIs showed up and asked me to find a reason to drop him.  I don't know what happened to him, clearly he was a turd but he got his wish.  I had no choice, especially when he amidated it to me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Got my daughter shooting her crosman pumpmaster in the yard if that counts, she's 7, likes to watch Autumns Armory on YouTube, I know it's lame, but she likes it, she wants a rainbow p365 like Autumn has. She loves going pheasant and duck hunting with me, love that kid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Range trip thread (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top