Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2023 8:12:19 PM EDT
A rafter died after falling from his watercraft into the Colorado River through Glenwood Canyon on Sunday.

Garfield County Coroner Robert Glassmire confirmed Tuesday morning that Nicholas Courtens, 34, of Vail, was pronounced dead at the scene between Shoshone and Grizzly Creek in Glenwood Canyon after he fell from a raft and drowned.

The White River National Forest and other river recreation officials are urging caution when recreating on the currently runoff-swollen area rivers.

Glassmire said the Glenwood Springs Fire Department and Garfield County Sheriff's Office responded to the scene at 12:29 p.m. Sunday.

"Investigators learned the rafter was part of a private group of five people using two rafts," Glassmire said in a news release. "The decedent went into the water while the group was navigating a rapid and eddy.  Upon exiting the rapid and eddy, the decedent was unable to be initially rescued."

moar

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Drove past there on Wednesday.  Not sure that I've ever seen that high of flow in the Colorado River.  It's raging.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Every river in our area is flat moving. We just had a rafter die in the Dolores
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
That stretch of river is ripping right now. I’m a fairly experienced white water guy and I’m not sure I’d do that right now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow, 900% normal flow:

https://www.the-journal.com/articles/rafter-dies-in-dolores-river-near-bedrock/

A man from Redvale drowned Wednesday afternoon while rafting on the Dolores River about 6½ miles south of Bedrock, according to the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office.

Richard Zehm, 72, was rafting with a friend when their raft hit a rock and overturned, a news release said. Nearby kayakers recovered Zehm's body and took it to responders at a boat ramp.

“The rivers are running extremely fast due to the large amount of snowpack in the mountains,” said Montrose County Sheriff Gene Lillard. “Use caution when recreating on the rivers and streams.”

The Dolores River at Bedrock was flowing Tuesday at 3,820 cubic feet per second – roughly 900% of normal. Gauge height was about 9½ feet, about 18 inches shy of flood stage.

That's over by the Paradox valley.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wow, 900% normal flow:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, 900% normal flow:

A man from Redvale drowned Wednesday afternoon while rafting on the Dolores River about 6½ miles south of Bedrock, according to the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office.

Richard Zehm, 72, was rafting with a friend when their raft hit a rock and overturned, a news release said. Nearby kayakers recovered Zehm's body and took it to responders at a boat ramp.

“The rivers are running extremely fast due to the large amount of snowpack in the mountains,” said Montrose County Sheriff Gene Lillard. “Use caution when recreating on the rivers and streams.”

The Dolores River at Bedrock was flowing Tuesday at 3,820 cubic feet per second – roughly 900% of normal. Gauge height was about 9½ feet, about 18 inches shy of flood stage.

Yep. Gorgeous but very remote area with not much for medical services. Anyone getting in the rivers right now better have a will lined up
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ever see the "grand canyon" of the Dolores, just northeast of Dove Creek?  Great view from the overlook, yet quite mellow (canyon walls are rounded instead of jagged, but still a great view).  Canyons downstream, such as south and north of Bedrock, are spectacular.  The one to the north snakes its way to meet up with the San Miguel River near Uravan.  It runs along the Unaweep-Tabeguache Scenic Byway on Hwy 141; the Dolores hangs a left at Gateway before it enters Utah.  Beautiful drive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ever see the "grand canyon" of the Dolores, just northeast of Dove Creek?  Great view from the overlook, yet quite mellow (canyon walls are rounded instead of jagged, but still a great view).  Canyons downstream, such as south and north of Bedrock, are spectacular.  The one to the north snakes its way to meet up with the San Miguel River near Uravan.  It runs along the Unaweep-Tabeguache Scenic Byway on Hwy 141; the Dolores hangs a left at Gateway before it enters Utah.  Beautiful drive.
View Quote

Been all through there! Hanging Flume is always worth a visit. Next time you’re in the area, take Y11 road. Runs along river under the flume, absolutely awesome drive. You can jump on it off of 90 just outside of Paradox and it’ll link up to 141 after about a half hour drive. Then 141 up to 50 is always worth checking out (through Gateway)
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm done that way often and will have to check out that area.  Is the fly fishing good on the Dolores?  Gotta pick up some more pinto beans in Dove Creek!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm done that way often and will have to check out that area.  Is the fly fishing good on the Dolores?  Gotta pick up some more pinto beans in Dove Creek!
View Quote

Try the Anasazi beans.  Taste better, cook faster and produce much less gas than the pintos.  I keep both in my pantry, as well as a couple of their bean soup mixes.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I still have some of the Anasazi beans at home.  1st batch... not awesome.  2nd batch.... added lard.  Much better.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I still have some of the Anasazi beans at home.  1st batch... not awesome.  2nd batch.... added lard.  Much better.
View Quote

Try adding Adobe Mill's bacon bean spice while cooking them.  3 tablespoons, I also add a chopped onion, some chile pequin and a ham bone, ham hocks or bacon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

When it’s not a murder river I’ve heard it great
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top