Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2020 4:36:33 PM EDT
I need to put in a radon mitigation system in an existing home. Talked to a few folks but I am less than thrilled as they all want to pipe it in a way that is easy for them and will look like hell. Told them I wanted it vented out through the roof and they didn't want to go that route. Bonus if they do foam insulation as well as I need the crawl space treated for mold and then foamed over. Home inspector saw one little dot of mold and now I have to deal with it even though there isn't an actual mold problem I would get dinged when and if I sell it.

Someone reputable who services the Bozeman area would be great. I found a guy I liked, had a great price and then never showed up?

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't even get a return call from any of the reputable folks. I have talked to a few that seem like real hacks and have terrible reviews.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wish I knew someone in that field. Sorry
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't even get a return call from any of the reputable folks. I have talked to a few that seem like real hacks and have terrible reviews.

I wish I knew someone in that field. Sorry

NP. With the housing boom here from covid refuges I can't get anyone on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
ACM Contracting can handle the mold aspect. I've used them for asbestos abatement a couples times now at Glacier. From a commercial standpoint, their pricing is very competitive. Not sure how their residential numbers look, or if they can help with other scopes.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know about your home inspector, but how could he know it's mold without a sample being tested.

Mostly they are real good at sounding alarms by using words like "it appears to be" instead of it is mold.

KC
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump. I can't get a return phone call from anyone.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I asked around and came up with the same - either they're low quality and can fit you in whenever or they're high quality but so busy and backlogged that there's no chance to get them to even come see anything this year never mind actually do the work.

It seems that all of the Gallatin county contractors/services are just too damn busy. Lots of money coming to the area.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know one of the guys I work with was going to take his concrete crews over to Bozeman and charge triple as people were desperate to get jobs done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I asked around and came up with the same - either they're low quality and can fit you in whenever or they're high quality but so busy and backlogged that there's no chance to get them to even come see anything this year never mind actually do the work.

It seems that all of the Gallatin county contractors/services are just too damn busy. Lots of money coming to the area.

I know one of the guys I work with was going to take his concrete crews over to Bozeman and charge triple as people were desperate to get jobs done.

I hope he does it! A lot of guys have been making an absolute killing by prioritizing the Bozeman market. Even Belgrade/Livingston have been popping lately.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I can’t help with the mold, except to recommend you actually get it tested before taking someone’s word that’s what it is.

On radon mitigation, a through foundation system is really easy. I did one before selling my house in MN this spring and it cost me about $250 total, although I did the easier “up the outside wall” route. Companies that do it want $1200-$1500 in my area.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have you tried calling someone in a nearby town?
View Quote

Yes. Call, email. I got nothing. Side note, radon mitigation folks based on some reviews are turning out to be s shady group. Lots of complaints about poor quality work and business practices.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you tried plumbers? Passive system or exhaust fan?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He didn't. Why? Because he is so busy here and he couldn't get a few put together that was dedicated to bozeman. Jobs everywhere but no one wants to work!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope he does it! A lot of guys have been making an absolute killing by prioritizing the Bozeman market. Even Belgrade/Livingston have been popping lately.

He didn't. Why? Because he is so busy here and he couldn't get a few put together that was dedicated to bozeman. Jobs everywhere but no one wants to work!

Absolutely nuts. I've seen places like grocers and fast food offering $17-20/hour. They can't get help and that's indoors with AC/heat/out of the rain/snow.

I can't imagine how much you have to offer to get people doing the harder jobs. I wouldn't be shocked if starting pay for - say - lawn care is $25+ an hour.

ETA: I just looked around quickly. Many landscaping/lawn care jobs are starting zero-experience guys out at $18-25/hour. A lot of other fields are the same. Hell - Gibson is offering a $2000 starting bonus for unskilled/zero-experience labor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have you tried plumbers? Passive system or exhaust fan?
View Quote

I haven't tried plumbers. I should know the difference but I don't between those two systems. Crawl space that will get covered in plastic and then a vent fan that goes out the roof, if that helps.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't tried plumbers. I should know the difference but I don't between those two systems. Crawl space that will get covered in plastic and then a vent fan that goes out the roof, if that helps.
View Quote

I am a commercial GC and we don't deal with it a ton. Some systems are perforated pipe that goes out of the building (passive), then there are mechanical exhaust fans like what you mentioned. An HVAC guy could install the fan and duct it to the roof and an insulation guy could install the vapor barrier in the crawl space. That's how I would go about it on a new build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top