Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 1:32:30 PM EDT
Gents,

I scouted the trail at Motts Reservoir and it's a great hike. Let's pick a time to do it. The map lists it at 7.7 miles. Carrying a full pack (45 lbs) will be arduous. As at Spotsylvania, I will be going lighter than that. Get fun. Get exercise. Get both!

Respond to the poll for the selection of a date. Late February could be cold but I'm willing to go in any conditions but steady rain or arctic blast, although breaking out my alpine gear could be fun.

(The purpose of you choosing up to two dates is to create something akin to ranked-choice voting, which can work for a hike but definitely does not work in elections.)

Motts Trail Guide

Motts Reservoir Web Site

Hike Review

EDIT: Given the overwhelming response to the poll, this hike is now scheduled for Saturday, February 20. The only thing left to decide is the start time. Budget 4 hours. It took me three hours straight through.

EDIT: How about we step off at 1100? Budget 4 hours (max), use the warmest part of the day, and finish by 1500.

EDIT: Navigate to here:

Motts Run Reservoir Recreation Area
6600 River Rd.
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
38.318563, -77.552488

We are stepping off at 1100 hours.
Parking is limited, but I expect there will be space in the lot at that time of day since the fair-weather hikers won't be out. If the lot is full, you can park along River Road, but it's tight. Be very careful getting out of your car.

If you are cold to the bone at the end of this hike, you are welcome to come to my house, dry off, change clothes, and get warm. It's 8.5 miles from Motts Reservoir. (4 miles SW as the crow flies.)

NOAA says it'll be 35 deg. and sunny.

LE has been notified of our activity.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Just a shout-out to interested parties.

@rookie421
@4Truck
@mbg0001
@SonofLiberty1775
@BennyFranklin
@nvcdl
@CTone03
@ns8013
@mnd
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Still in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
In as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Still in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
In for either Saturday
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump for more poll.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Still interested - date less a concern than time of day (prefer later).
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump. Date has been chosen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
See OP. I am suggesting a start time of 1100 to use the warmest part of the day and to accommodate those who want a later start.

Comments, please.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
On the calendar.  I might bring a walk on with me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems good to me, I'm in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
1100 works here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I'm in.
Didn't see anything about rifles, go or no-go?

Btw: if anybody wants a 3.5x3.5 sticker, they're free to a good home.....just feel like spreading some love.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
At our last hike my boots were worn out by at least 6 months. I went and got hiking shoes today so I will be ready for next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At our last hike my boots were worn out by at least 6 months. I went and got hiking shoes today so I will be ready for next weekend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wear them around the house and neighborhood to break them in as much as possible. New boots can be painful on a long walk.

Quoted:

Absolutely. I haven't called the Sheriff's office yet, or the Fredericksburg Parks Dept. to notify them that Karen and Chad are just panicking when they call about us peaceful hikers. The park brochure (link posted) does not state that firearms are prohibited. I will call them a day or two in advance and will post here if they say anything to the contrary.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wear them around the house and neighborhood to break them in as much as possible. New boots can be painful on a long walk.

Absolutely. I haven't called the Sheriff's office yet, or the Fredericksburg Parks Dept. to notify them that Karen and Chad are just panicking when they call about us peaceful hikers. The park brochure (link posted) does not state that firearms are prohibited. I will call them a day or two in advance and will post here if they say anything to the contrary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My plan was to wear them as much as possible before the hike to break them in.

If we can carry, add the police department to the list of groups to notify. If someone calls us in, odds are the PD will respond and not the Sheriff's office. For the most part in the city the S.O handles the courts and civil process, the PD handles crime and patrol. I can help you out with this if you like, I have contacts at the PD and S.O.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not planning to haul a pack or a long arm myself.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not planning to haul a pack or a long arm myself.
View Quote

If the truth be told, I'll be much lighter than 35 - 45 lbs. Might have a sidearm this time instead of a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#19]
This water crossing is just a little hairier than it looks. The rocks are almost too far apart and the water is just a little too deep at the good spots. I finally took a stick for balance and a small pole vault to the other bank. Waterproof boots helped. We have to get across this with dry feet or suffer the rest of (2/3 of) the hike. Ain't no thang, but bring good boots. February is the wrong month for cold wet feet.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]
My new shoes are a mid height shoe and not a boot. Would you recommend that I bring my old worn out boots and swap into those for the river crossing portion and wear the new shoes for the rest of the hike?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Leave the weights at home and put the boots in your pack along with your power bars, spare water, etc. Do bring light snacks, you'll need it.
Other option is to go across barefoot then dry your feet and reboot on the other side. If somebody does, we'll have to make up a special commemorative patch for that one.
I'm going to test out a couple trash bags on a sandy spot and see if that gets me across dry---not good at pole vaulting.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Leave the weights at home and put the boots in your pack along with your power bars, spare water, etc. Do bring light snacks, you'll need it.
Other option is to go across barefoot then dry your feet and reboot on the other side. If somebody does, we'll have to make up a special commemorative patch for that one.
I'm going to test out a couple trash bags on a sandy spot and see if that gets me across dry---not good at pole vaulting.
View Quote

I have a bad knee and only recently starting hiking so I was not planning on weights. The last hike we did, I brought my camelbak and that was it. I think I'll bring a small pack with my boots and just swap to them when needed and back to my new hiking shoes when the boots are not needed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't want to overplay the water. This spot is where the trail leads and I ran into a couple of guys on bikes wading across. Maybe a little scouting will find a great crossing. I have heavy vinyl boot coverings I'll bring for anyone to use. I just know that cold wet feet will ruin someone's day. Given recent precipitation, the water could be a little higher than when I went.

EDIT: There are foot bridges over every other water feature we will cross. This one is down low, and by the looks of the banks near a small confluence, it can flood wide.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#24]
At this point, NOAA says Saturday will be sunny, with a high near 36. Thursday and Friday leading up to it will be wet. I think we'll be on the front end of a clearing trend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]
See OP for last minute information. Just confirming location and describing the parking.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Parking is on Motts Run Access road for the boat ramp, correct?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Parking is on Motts Run Access road for the boat ramp, correct?
View Quote

Correct, but the gate to the lower rec area and boat ramp is closed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, ....Kuehl
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Where are we meeting?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#30]
--Assuming that would be the parking lot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
--Assuming that would be the parking lot.
View Quote

Correct, we are meeting at the parking lot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Torqued my leg on the ice this week.  Think I need to pass on this one.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#33]
My daughter is definitely out and I'm out unless I feel substantially better by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
My daughter is definitely out and I'm out unless I feel substantially better by tomorrow.

Get well soon to both of you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Tangled up in NOVA--not going to make step off time.
Will hit the 7.7mi Reservoir Trail when I get there and hopefully run into you guys in the opposite direction--hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tangled up in NOVA--not going to make step off time.
Will hit the 7.7mi Reservoir Trail when I get there and hopefully run into you guys in the opposite direction--hopefully.
View Quote

I'm sorry we missed you. We started at 1100 and finished at 1500. You would have recognized us if you found us. I apologize I did not give you my cell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Get well soon to both of you.
View Quote

Thanks. Dang dog clotheslined me on a walk Thursday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm sorry we missed you. We started at 1100 and finished at 1500. You would have recognized us if you found us. I apologize I did not give you my cell.
View Quote

No prob Lexington. 95 was a slow-crawl in three different areas.  1100 wasn't happening for me.
Saw footprints going the NW/CCW direction so I started down the SW/CW direction figuring I would run into you guys. Thought it would be fun going out solo in unfamiliar ground to find you guys. Those hills just below the lot were really slick so thought it best to bail.
Regardless, thanks for organizing the trek. Look forward to the next one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No prob Lexington. 95 was a slow-crawl in three different areas.  1100 wasn't happening for me.
Saw footprints going the NW/CCW direction so I started down the SW/CW direction figuring I would run into you guys. Thought it would be fun going out solo in unfamiliar ground to find you guys. Those hills just below the lot were really slick so thought it best to bail.
Regardless, thanks for organizing the trek. Look forward to the next one.
View Quote

You would have enjoyed solving the bridgeless river. ??
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You would have enjoyed solving the bridgeless river. ??
View Quote

Was wondering how that went.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#41]
We scouted the stream and didn't find anything that didn't involve jumping, slipping, or pole vaulting, so we just waded across at a shallow spot. BUT, we had a pair of vinyl ranch booties that came up to our knees and we ferried them back and forth until we were all across (well, only two of us needed them). It was a highly tactical maneuver.

Meandering down the trail. There are so many fjord-like inlets that distance to the dam was deceptive. What looks like it is a half mile away is actually more like 1.5-2.0 after all the coastline-hugging to get around. It feels never ending. As expected, once we were in the trees the breeze was gone and the temperature was pleasant.

Break time!

Geese on the dam. Note the wind on the water. We didn't feel any of that in the trees away from the water's edge.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a good time yesterday, today is a different story*L* Solving the river conundrum was fun. It was nice to see people I had hiked with before and to meet new people.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's from the middle of that stream.

Instream01 by TerminalApathy, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Really enjoy those pics. Got a laugh out of those faces. Man what a gorgeous day and I was so freakin close.
I take it nobody took a spill? Hope not. That trail was slick as hell south of the lot. Crampons or cleats would have been good.
Thanks again for the pics.

BTW, got a kick out of the sign in the parking lot that said no shooting beyond this sign. I guess that means target practice would be ok in the lot right next to the road
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50966396662_d19c536f66_k.jpgInstream01 by TerminalApathy, on Flickr
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50966396662_d19c536f66_k.jpgInstream01 by TerminalApathy, on Flickr

That picture makes it look like the Rio Grande!

Quoted:
Really enjoy those pics. Got a laugh out of those faces. Man what a gorgeous day and I was so freakin close.
I take it nobody took a spill? Hope not. That trail was slick as hell south of the lot. Crampons or cleats would have been good.
Thanks again for the pics.

BTW, got a kick out of the sign in the parking lot that said no shooting beyond this sign. I guess that means target practice would be ok in the lot right next to the road

You are correct that we took the counter clockwise route. The trail was either slushy or crunchy the whole way but we all managed to stay upright. We came across just one person on the whole trip, and that was near the end as we approached the parking lot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I manged to jump across the creek via a few rocks - the advantage of not wearing a pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top