Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2022 9:15:03 PM EDT
WINTERS (of cold and death pt.2?) COMING !!!!

And I wanted to get up high but didn’t train/plan etc. so where can I go (other than pike’s) to get to 13-14k without too much effort. I’m not out of shape but I’m way out in fort Morgan and I don’t want to get up at 2 am to get in front range by 3-4 to get done with a 6 m hike by storm time of 2pm
Or whatever. Ya dig??! Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mt Elbert is pretty casual.

The south trail isn't too long (12 miles roundtrip and 4000' elevation gain). I've taken people who have never hiked before on it, but they were healthy people in their 20/30s.

It still takes a while.
Why don't you camp near the trailhead the night before?

Mt Bierstadt is less gain and shorter but crowded.

https://www.backpacker.com/trips/trips-by-state/colorado-trails/the-easiest-14ers-in-colorado/
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Intwrdasting …. So, maybe this isn’t really my hobby. Or that’s why I want to do a quick one to see if I like it. The lack of shade kinda makes me pause, and then ya the timing.

Ok, so next question, how about biking part of the way up something and the hiking once it gets no longer practical to ride?
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
They're all crowded now.  Pikes Peak (no apostrophe!) is a long haul.  You need to start early and be off the mountain by noon.  You can cut off some time and distance by taking the Crags route on the NW side rather than head up from Manitou.

If you're not in shape you're gonna have a hard time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Audubon isn't bad.  It's a 13er.  The park entrance fee was $10 when I did it, which I think was 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Gray's and Torrey's are pretty quick car to car as is Mt Sherman. Someone mentioned Bierstadt which is another good candidate. If you want solitude, choose a 13er.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're all crowded now.  Pikes Peak (no apostrophe!) is a long haul.  You need to start early and be off the mountain by noon.  You can cut off some time and distance by taking the Crags route on the NW side rather than head up from Manitou.

If you're not in shape you're gonna have a hard time.
View Quote

You could also jog/hike up Pikes and take the cog railroad back down to Manitou Springs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gray's and Torrey's are pretty quick car to car as is Mt Sherman. Someone mentioned Bierstadt which is another good candidate. If you want solitude, choose a 13er.
View Quote

Ya that’s kinda what I’m thinking…
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You could also jog/hike up Pikes and take the cog railroad back down to Manitou Springs.
View Quote

That sounds like fun! Speaking of RR, any reviews of commietrak from Denver out to Granby?  We would get on in FOMO, but I assume more of y’all coulda tried the Denver section
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I've taken commietrak several times in winter from Union Station to Winter Park on their ski train service. If traffic isn't bad driving is a little quicker, but it's stress free, no ice on Berthoud pass or texan drivers to contend with. Great views and you can have a drink or a nap on your way home. Freight train congestion has made the return trip take about 30 min longer than necessary, but on the whole I'd recommend it if you're a skier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top