Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 6:33:11 PM EDT
I am getting back into astronomy after many, many years.  I just ordered an 8" dobsonian telescope which should be light years ahead of the department store scopes I had as a kid.  I won't receive the new scope until the end of March at the absolute earliest.

I live in the St. Louis area, so light pollution is an issue.  I started researching areas with less light pollution and found 4 state parks within an hour or so drive from me that I'm interested in.

I have been trying to find information about coming and going at night and found the following on mostateparks.com:

Robertsville state park:
Summer Hours (On-Season)
April through October
7 a.m. to 9 p.m., daily
Winter Hours (Off-Season)
November through March
7 a.m. to 6 p.m, daily
Park gates open and close at these times.

Hawn state park:
Summer Hours (On-Season)
March 15 through Nov. 14
7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Winter Hours (Off-Season)
Nov. 15 through March 14
7:30 a.m. to sunset
Entrance gates open and close at these times.

Washington state park:
7 a.m. to sunset, year-round.

Meramec state park:
April through October
7 a.m. to 10 p.m., daily
November through March
7 a.m. to 9 p.m., daily
The park gate opens and closes at these times.

It's been a while since I have camped at any of the MO state parks.  When I have gone, we usually get there in the morning, camp for a few days, then leave in the afternoon, so I never experienced a closed gate.  I had just assumed that you could come and go as you pleased.

My plan for stargazing would be to arrive while there is still some light, set everything up, stay for a couple of hours, then leave.  From what I have found so far, it sounds like that would not work.

Most people would probably call the park offices for more information, but I'm not most people.  

I wanted to find out if anyone had any first hand experience coming and going at night at the state parks.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I know if its one you camp at, you get a gate code and you can come and go all night at will...

We've camped at St. Joe st park in Park Hills and Silver Mines just outside/west of Fredericktown..  You might need to set up and camp one night somewhere..

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Mark Twain national forest could be another option for you as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies!

I may just plan on camping overnight.  That way I can stargaze as long as I want and not worry about driving home tired in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
My suggestion is for you to find a park in north Missouri. Visitor traffic is lower and the skies are much better.

https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#4/39.00/-98.00

I also suggest you try to attend a few formal star parties. I messed with astronomy a few years back and really enjoyed the two star parties I attended.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mtnf/recarea/?recid=21864

Here ya go.  The trailhead is wide open for stargazing and camping is ok.  It's basically the top of a mountain and there is no light for miles.  It's not that far off of 67 Highway.  Bring a truck or a jeep because the road up there is pretty rough.  I went up there last fall on my dualsport and the ruts were about a foot and a half deep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you can drive a bit further, we have zero light pollution down here.  I back up to 30k acres of state ground.  Its really awesome to see the stars here.  If you come down, give me a shout.

Current river conservation area...total pop for this county is 6600...?? no yard lights on the horizon...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the additional replies!

I have a bit of time before the new telescope arrives to find places to set up.  Apparently between covid affecting production, and quarantined people getting bored and buying up all the telescopes, they tell me I'll be lucky if mine ships before the end of March.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#8]
When you pull up the darfinder map, the dark spot between westplains and poplar bluff is where i was talking about ??
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of the places will have camping entrances open 24/7 and other parts of the park locked up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#10]
So your new telescope is "light years" ahead?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Peck Ranch CA. It has some high elevations an very little light pollution.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Danville Conservation Area is a candidate but not as dark overall.

View Quote

Came here to post this. I don’t know much about astronomy but I bow hunt out there a fair amount in the fall.  Must be good for star gazing cause there’s usually more campers watching the skies than hunting.  Not too far off highway 70 and no gates.  Camping is allowed but it is primitive, two of the parking lots have outhouses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the additional suggestions!

I may try to scope out a few of the places this weekend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top