Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2018 9:22:13 PM EDT
Here's the deal.

I live about 1/4 mile into Pendleton County. The schools are shit. I have a graduate of them as proof. The district is ranked 96th in the state and dropping from last year. The nearest school is 20 minutes or so away and the bus shows up at 6:30 am and gets them back at @ 4:45 pm which in itself is bullshit.

The nearest school in the district I want to send my kid to is about 4 minutes from me and the high school is 15. It is ranked 15th in the state with a 5 star rating. I can and will provide transportation or I can meet the bus about 1/4 mile from my house as it comes there every day anyway.

I live at the end of a dead end road that has to be accessed from the county to the north. This means that the bus in my district has to LEAVE the district just to get to my road.

I need to know what (if anything) I can to do to get my kid in the better school district.

I had this fight years ago and lost. Lost not only the fight but my daughter was sentenced to a garbage education when a much better (not to mention closer) one was easily available.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
In my county there are 2 school districts (JCPS and Anchorage School), and where you live determines what district your kids go to.  The districts are partly funded by property taxes (and state money, and federal money, and other revenue streams).  The money they receive is based on the kids that live in that district's area.  I bet your county is the same and you may have to move to the other district.

I will say that a coworker of mine lives in Bullitt County and sent her son to Male High School in Louisville (which is a JCPS school).  She had to pay tuition to JCPS though, which I think covered the "Cost Per Pupil" rate that they have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my county there are 2 school districts (JCPS and Anchorage School), and where you live determines what district your kids go to.  The districts are partly funded by property taxes (and state money, and federal money, and other revenue streams).  The money they receive is based on the kids that live in that district's area.  I bet your county is the same and you may have to move to the other district.

I will say that a coworker of mine lives in Bullitt County and sent her son to Male High School in Louisville (which is a JCPS school).  She had to pay tuition to JCPS though, which I think covered the "Cost Per Pupil" rate that they have.
View Quote
I would be fine with that but was told it was not an option during our last go round.

I'm hoping for somebody with specific knowledge of this type of issue sees this and can offer up possibly who to start with up the chain from my local school board.

Thanks for the response.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure where you live dictates where your kids go, period. Isn't this the whole controversy around "school choice" and other things?

Homeschool her. It's a far far far better education. In fact, I'd say it's actually an education whereas the public shools are most definitely not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pretty sure where you live dictates where your kids go, period. Isn't this the whole controversy around "school choice" and other things?

Homeschool her. It's a far far far better education. In fact, I'd say it's actually an education whereas the public shools are most definitely not.
View Quote
There has to be a way around that and if not, then I'm not opposed to suing try to get it fixed.

But I'd rather not naturally. I hate to be a problem BUT, with the circumstances I laid out in the OP, there needs to be some accommodation made in the interest of the child's education. I can and will take care of any logistic or monetary issues, their arbitrary boundaries be damned.

Home schooling is not an option as I work 70 hours a week or so and my Squaw, God love her, isn't up to the task.

I have also looked at private schools but they are too far away to be logistically feasible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#5]
We just went through this.  We moved 3 miles down the road to get out of Jefferson County and into Oldham County for the better schools.  We were told there was no other way
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We just went through this.  We moved 3 miles down the road to get out of Jefferson County and into Oldham County for the better schools.  We were told there was no other way
View Quote
Damn.

Who told you this?

The locals here said the same thing but I ain't believing it unless it comes from somewhere up the chain and even then, I'll check with my lawyer about the chances of raising some Hell.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I think that KRS 158.120 may be your best bet, as it says a district may charge tuition and have an agreement to allow another student who resides outside a district to attend school.  I don't think it's mandantory for the districts to allow this though.  The school districts are funded based on the kids that live in their resides boundaries.  If you are outside the boundaries, you are likely out of luck, unless they have tuition or other agreements in place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There has to be a way around that and if not, then I'm not opposed to suing try to get it fixed.

But I'd rather not naturally. I hate to be a problem BUT, with the circumstances I laid out in the OP, there needs to be some accommodation made in the interest of the child's education. I can and will take care of any logistic or monetary issues, their arbitrary boundaries be damned.

Home schooling is not an option as I work 70 hours a week or so and my Squaw, God love her, isn't up to the task.

I have also looked at private schools but they are too far away to be logistically feasible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you, man. Fight it, but I do think the handwriting is on the wall. As I understand, it's pretty much the norm nationwide that where you live dictates where your kids go to school. Hence why realtors tell you about school district, etc when discussing a house - it matters.

Best of luck. We have a massively screwed up "educational" system.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in eastern KY. My kids go to the neighboring county. There is an agreement between the two school districts. We had to show hardship to get them to agree to it. My wife works in the adjoining county and I worked in Lex. The kids could not ride the bus but the wife was able to drop off and pick up. The other two county's will not allow it. We ended up moving the kids to a private school. Public education is still crap just degrees of how bad!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you know anyone in the district? Can you 'move' on paper?

http://kyjustice.org/node/759

Be aware: If you give someone else guardianship for the sole purpose of attending another school district they can refuse to enroll.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Be aware: If you give someone else guardianship for the sole purpose of attending another school district they can refuse to enroll.
View Quote
Thanks, but I just adopted this kid and I won't be playing any games with his guardianship.

I think I'll go see the desired school's principal and see how that goes to start with.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Instead of going that route, if they won't let you pay to send her, then how about renting something cheap in the other district to establish "residency"?

But yeah, I think talking to the actual school first is the best option of course.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Instead of going that route, if they won't let you pay to send her, then how about renting something cheap in the other district to establish "residency"?

But yeah, I think talking to the actual school first is the best option of course.
View Quote
Careful, potential fraud.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.  I know in my local county there have been several cases where people were caught doing this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn.

Who told you this?

The locals here said the same thing but I ain't believing it unless it comes from somewhere up the chain and even then, I'll check with my lawyer about the chances of raising some Hell.
View Quote
The staff at Oldham Co. School District told us. But, Oldham Co.
is very desirable, especially compared to Jefferson, so other counties may allow a buy-in
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
How?  I mean sure if you just get a PO box.  But if you're paying for two residences then a government that calls is "fraud" is essentially playing "thought police".
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
1st rule of fight club...

Depends on the county but you just need a rental agreement.  I'm sure there's a friend that would rent a room to the OP and his kid to live in. It would be a struggle, but for the good of the child's education I'm sure the OP could live in a broom closet.

A lesser person might spell out acts that run contrarian to the law, so I will not do that.  I'm merely explaining what the law requires and it's up to you what to do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top