Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2020 11:59:59 PM EDT
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been done to death. I’m trying to determine if there’s a legal issue in MD with a colt M4A1 clone. It’s essentially a clone of this.....

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

The actual Colt M4A1 is listed as not banned on the state police website.

This clone has an actual Colt M4A1 barrel, with a pinned and welded extended A2 device. It even has the KAC rail. The actual upper receiver isn’t colt, and neither is the bcg-though they’re not different other than who actually made them. So, I thought it would be kosher.

I’m asking because the dealer in MD I shipped it to, to transfer it is telling me he doesn’t want to transfer it as is. He said he’ll pull the upper and transfer the lower(after a 7 day wait). I’m a bit confused as to why.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I would transfer that to you without concern.

If you can, print out the details page of specs on the barrel and take it to your dealer.
That's what i do if there's any question. As long as i have proof that it's marketed as a "heavy profile" barrel, and it actually is under the handguard, i just keep a copy of the printout with the 4473.
Link if you need one.

The issue your dealer is probably having is that the LE6920SOCOM is banned, but the M4A1 SOCOM is not banned. But the real problem is that the M4A1 from colt's current lineup carries the SKU number of... LE6920SOCOM. So the great grey area gets bigger.
And most dealers see the M4 cuts and almost automatically say "nope".

Your other option is to do the 7 day wait for the lower, and just take the upper home... for eh, parts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Ugh, that’s why I absolutely refuse to live there anymore.

I specifically sold this carbine to my uncle who lives there because I understood it to be kosher in MD. If he were to “reassemble” it, would he be in trouble if he took it to a range or something?
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#3]
He will be fine. Nobody ever checks AR's at ranges.

Even if a goodie two shoes looks real hard, the barrel is pretty obviously heavy profile.

If he feels better, have him keep a copy of the barrel specs.

ETA: Or you can have it sent to me. I'll transfer it for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top