Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 8:22:01 PM EDT
I was told that one can file a complaint retroactively.  Even against retired officers.  Is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Source of information?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I do not know if the source was correct.  That is why I asked.  After what they did to FFLS in the state, I will believe about anything.  I am still unclear about what they did with Qualified Immunity.  I was hoping somebody who understood these things would educate me.  I have asked an attorney and a retired LEO and they have not answered.

Either the new rules about filing a complaint go into effect retroactively, or they go into effect as of a certain date.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Public Act signed by the Gov

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/fulltext.asp?Name=101-0652

Abolishing cash bail was reported with an effective date of Jan 1, 2023.

The signed bill becoming Public Act is reported effective July 1, 2021.
https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3653&GAID=15&GA=101&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=120371&SessionID=108&SpecSess=

I dont think all sections have the same date.

Section 1-5. Statement of purpose. It is the intent of the
General Assembly to establish statewide use of force standards
for law enforcement agencies effective January 1, 2022.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I do not know if the source was correct.  That is why I asked.  After what they did to FFLS in the state, I will believe about anything.  I am still unclear about what they did with Qualified Immunity.  I was hoping somebody who understood these things would educate me.  I have asked an attorney and a retired LEO and they have not answered.

Either the new rules about filing a complaint go into effect retroactively, or they go into effect as of a certain date.
View Quote

It's a 700+ page bill that was just signed into law.  I think you might be asking just a little much.  If you aren't willing to read 700 pages and find out why would they?

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's a 700+ page bill that was just signed into law.  I think you might be asking just a little much.  If you aren't willing to read 700 pages and find out why would they?

View Quote

Well, because so far I have been unable to find the full 700 pages.  And you are right, I am unwilling to read the darn thing for one simple question.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top